Yellowhammer

Result v Liverpool

We'll surprise, but the result will be unsurprising.

Unless Liverpool are a bit travel weary and things go our way.

Then we might get a point.

The only thing that concerns me is if we get a hammering.

A good display and a narrow defeat won't be so bad.

Liverpool haven't had a great pre-season and their front three have only just restarted training (actually, Mane still hasn't) and a pumped up, fearless Norwich should give them a good game. I don't think it will be quite enough but we'll earn lots of plaudits and respect in a valiant 2-1 defeat.

We can't win, if we do, it will be because Liverpool took us lightly, their pre season commitments meant they didn't get the best preparation,  the Referee was poor or we got lucky. 

If you get to watch the game on TV, listen to the commentary, how a deflected goal for them will be described as a clinical finish, for us a lucky break.

It's all subliminal but we're on TV to be cannon fodder for the big boys nothing else.

As for the result? 3-0 and under wouldn't be a bad result.... I'd bite your hand off for a draw.

Just now, splendidrush said:

We can't win, if we do, it will be because Liverpool took us lightly, their pre season commitments meant they didn't get the best preparation,  the Referee was poor or we got lucky. 

To be honest though, if we win, it will be as a result of one or more of those things. If Liverpool play to their best and everything goes as it should (refs, luck etc.), we'll lose. 

5-2 Liverpool including a couple of dubious penalties.

a draw would be an amazing result given they failed to win at home last season in only 2 league games, one of which was Man City and didn’t lose there in the league.

the great thing about football is that anything can happen though.

It’s not a bad game, nothing to lose a free game if you like, I doubt Farke will do a Hughton and go all defensive. If we play our normal game at least we’ll be known for playing a nice brand of football which will no doubt get us a goal......but I can’t see us getting much joy, they are a fabulous team going forward and European Champions, 4-1, but the score not reflecting a very good game by both teams.

Nothing to fear;  a free hit as others have said. Don't go over defensive - we  must carry a threat and who knows.

Whatever happens, I'm the sure the binners to a man, woman and child  would love to be in our position.

I'm hoping for an almighty upset : 1:2  to City and Lineker thinking about his underpants again :classic_wacko:. Dreams I know but that's what  football is.....

I’ll show some faith in the boys. 3-2 to us as long as we play 1st half Atalanta and not 2nd half Atalanta. 

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

We'll surprise, but the result will be unsurprising.

Unless Liverpool are a bit travel weary and things go our way.

Then we might get a point.

The only thing that concerns me is if we get a hammering.

A good display and a narrow defeat won't be so bad.

Can’t see why they will be travel weary, Broady. Let’s hope we play like we know we can, I’m hoping we give them a very difficult night. Just keeping my fingers crossed they don’t get an early goal, if we can contain them initially then I truly believe we’ll grow into the game.

Rather us get tonked 4-0 and 'have a go' than pick up a scrappy 1-1 draw and not touch ball for 90mins.

The lads should go into this game the same as they went into every game last season.

• Like 1

I'll make my prediction after tomorrow's Charity Shield.......

A resounding win for Man City will fire them up for us the following week, I'm hoping for a scrappy game, hamstring pull for Salah and Van Dijk and a sending off for Alexander Arnold 🙏

15 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Rather us get tonked 4-0 and 'have a go' than pick up a scrappy 1-1 draw and not touch ball for 90mins.

The lads should go into this game the same as they went into every game last season.

Hmm I think for this one I’d take a 1-1 draw with 80% Liverpool possession and an own goal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Hmm I think for this one I’d take a 1-1 draw with 80% Liverpool possession and an own goal.

I wouldn't. I want us to stick to our philosophy and play football. I do not want to witness a Hughton style City game ever again in my life. Play football the right way and try to win games. Don't hope we somehow get lucky and get a goal and then hang on for dear life. This is supposed to be entertainment. 

We need to try to win in the right way, but have the sense to accept that sometimes, we will get a beating; likely from Liverpool / Man City x2.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

....er, what??

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

I wouldn't. I want us to stick to our philosophy and play football. I do not want to witness a Hughton style City game ever again in my life. Play football the right way and try to win games. Don't hope we somehow get lucky and get a goal and then hang on for dear life. This is supposed to be entertainment. 

At home to Sheffield United, Burnley, Brighton etc. we have to play positively, and can't 'do a Hughton' and attempt to grind out a scrappy 1-0 win.

But away at Anfield? Who cares. A backs-to-the-wall 0-0 draw with great last-ditch defending in a game like this is also brilliant to watch in my opinion, and the point is valuable too. 

43 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Can’t see why they will be travel weary, Broady. 

They played three friendlies in America in three different cities before a friendly in Scotland, a friendly in Switzerland and then the Community Shield tomorrow. In addition to players like Alisson, Firmino, Salah and Mane playing International tournaments until mid-July, they could be suffering a bit from that.

16 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....er, what??

I  can see the league being extremely tight and goal difference coming into play at both ends. For Liverpool it's a 'must tonk' game. 

A 4-0 loss is my prediction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

I agree. Let's play to our strengths which means attacking with good pace and possession. If we lose we go down giving our all, with neutrals admiring our courage in taking the game to Liverpool.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

I’ll take the scrappy 1 point all day long from this fixture thanks. There are plenty of remaining games to play the football in

• Like 4