Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Defensive Midfielder

So. There seems to be just a hint of a suggestion of a rumour on here that we could do with someone with steel and at the same time ball playing skills to slot in in front of our back four. Name names - who could that possibly be? Or are we just expecting Webber to pull another Buendia from nowhere? 

To;dr - who tf could possibly meet expectations? Realistically, we have to go with what we've got.

I cannot believe that Farke and Webber have drained Germany of viable recruits especially as we can now approach a higher calibre of player.

I think our talk about being happy with what we have and no real money to spend is just shrewd bargaining ... I bet they have a few potential irons in the fire.

Glen Kamara from Rangers, could be ready for leap already and will be top one in couple of years

10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

So. There seems to be just a hint of a suggestion of a rumour on here that we could do with someone with steel and at the same time ball playing skills to slot in in front of our back four. Name names - who could that possibly be? Or are we just expecting Webber to pull another Buendia from nowhere? 

To;dr - who tf could possibly meet expectations? Realistically, we have to go with what we've got.

...do you expect us to have a scouting knowledge of every defensive midfield player in the whole of world football?

......in a nutshell yes, I would expect Webber to identify somebody.

...lets be honest , Tettey is possibly past his best and unlikely to feature much this season, we might not be expecting the next Ngolo Kante but I dont believe there wouldnt be someone out there that couldnt improve our squad in that department within our price range

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

If we really are skint and there is no real budget to pay a significant fee for a DM, then the only suitable option in this window is this guy. 

Nemanja Radoja.

1705639066_download(2).jpg.9fdf67800293987d64c3f33968185fa8.jpg

He's a free agent after leaving Celta Vigo in the summer. 

• Serbian

1979040949_download(1).png.e920f9ae7e751e6313a037e444f04baa.png

From WhoScored.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was well liked at Celta Vigo according to a basic glance at their message board but there were injury troubles last season apparently and he didn't play at all.

download.png.d4ec2269473831047177b91a438faece.png

Apparently he wanted a pay rise from his €23k p/w wages as well.

Previously he has been linked to Aston Villa already this summer but there hasn't been anything on the story in several months, plus they recently signed a Marvelous DM from Belgium  :classic_wink: so it would seem they are out of the pecking order.

The other main report was for him to go to Real Betis but there has been little development on that either despite most Celta Vigo fans thinking it was his preferred choice.

619190383_download(2).png.898309c8fdf941e23c50746844ad4373.png

Levante are the most recent club to be linked with him about a week or so ago but nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

466035018_download(3).png.5545586af75dfe529daf93cc09095c0b.png

Levante are one of the smaller clubs in La Liga so I can't imagine them having much more sway than we would unless he wants to remain in Spain.

His highlights look decent for the position we're missing in the squad .

Which in my view is a static DM who doesn't progress up the field as much but just tackles, defends and passes the ball well to his teammates.

Without this kind of player we're going to be left short at the back too many times.

so...

Come solve our defence Radja!

Radoja.thumb.png.3d3cb1394c6b1611799fa80066fd947e.png

...he can't be worse than nothing.

Edited by Renskay
  • Like 1

Didn't rate the football at all, no one seemed to be able to control a pass, nothing seemed to stick, giving the opposition a chance to nick it.

Often as not he seemed to be on the wrong side a his player, having to make a tackle that, had he been in the right place would have looked easy as opposed to impressive. 

but, as Renskay says,  better than nothing. 

• Like 1

Still time, this week is when final squads are settled and players might become available, I think we’ll see another signing or two.

But if not happy to go with what we have.

10 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I think our talk about being happy with what we have and no real money to spend is just shrewd bargaining ... I bet they have a few potential irons in the fire.

This. It's a win win statement for Farke, particularly as he keeps saying "we''ll stay awake" leaving the door ajar for new players. We use it as bargaining, we reinforce to the players here that they are good enough and we play down expectations of fans. If we get someone, everyone is happy, if we don't, it was what was stated by the manager.

Edited by All the Germans

4 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

This. It's a win win statement for Farke, particularly as he keeps saying "we''ll stay awake" leaving the door ajar for new players. We use it as bargaining, we reinforce to the players here that they are good enough and we play down expectations of fans. If we get someone, everyone is happy, if we don't, it was what was stated by the manager.

Agreed.

Playing down expectations for fans, but by your statement (and my feelings too) some of us still expect!

Therefore will be tinges of disappointment should no one come in. Tinges, mind. Not streaks. 

Edited by WD40

10 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...do you expect us to have a scouting knowledge of every defensive midfield player in the whole of world football?

......in a nutshell yes, I would expect Webber to identify somebody.

...lets be honest , Tettey is possibly past his best and unlikely to feature much this season, we might not be expecting the next Ngolo Kante but I dont believe there wouldnt be someone out there that couldnt improve our squad within our price range

It's not Webbers job to find the players that's what we have scout's for and I suspect they have found many that fitted the bill, some have said no as was reported earlier in the summer, some no doubt want to much and don't fit the wage structure, some are not deemed to be the kind of player we want in the dressing room and some have probably gone elsewhere. 

I suspect we'll end up with a loan from another Premier league club to add some back up to Trybull and that's assuming that Farke/Webber don't believe that Tettey and Thompson can't do it when they manage to get fit!? 

10 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No, of course not. My point, badly put, was that we seem to talked up this mythical player so much that unless we spend £10 million AND they play better than their price tag, I don’t think anyone could realistically meet expectations.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

No, of course not. My point, badly put, was that we seem to talked up this mythical player so much that unless we spend £10 million AND they play better than their price tag, I don’t think anyone could realistically meet expectations.

Would be interesting to see who else is on the free agent list. 

We don't necessarily need a starter as I think Trybull will do the job but a back up not injury prone would be helpful. 

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

..sorry , it's just that you asked us to "name names"....

Adam Nagy?

Age 24, 33 caps for Hungary since the age of 19, played 3 full games at the Euros in 2016, and most recently  in the Euro qualifiers against Croatia and Wales (btw both matches won by Hungary). Currently plays for Serie A side Bologna, but wants away due to limited gametime under new manager.  Bologna is willing to sell, and as Nagy's buying price was 1,8 m euros, I doubt they'd hold out for more than 3-5 m euros. He's industrious, pacy and clever player, and - as an ex-futsal player- a very good passer  too, so I'd believe  he'd fit well into Farke's playing style. I heard newly promoted serie A side Lecce was after him, but Corriere dello Sport mentions Bundesliga and La Liga sides among those interested.

image.jpeg.67d84baf07686ecb2a58cbc4318c6a2d.jpeg

• Like 1

Shame it doesn't look like we'll be signing a new ball-playing DM. Think most felt that position needed reinforcing.

For those watching the match later, keep an eye out for Toulouse's Ibrahim Sangare, who should be eased back in after AFCON. Just the type of player who'd thrive in the PL, however beyond our budget sadly.

10 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Radoja wouldn’t get a work permit for the uk. 

According to the Douglas Luiz transfer to Aston Vila, if a player is signed to be an important member for the first team it can be used as a reason for a valid work permit application.

I know Radoja doesn't have the caps required to get a permit in line to the international games played rule but if Aston Villa are prepared to offer nearly £20m on the logic that he's going to be an important member of their team, it shows there's a bit of wiggle room.

When you aren't an elite club not everyone is going to be able to be an international.

Edited by Renskay

Interesting to see Vrancic and Leitner anchoring midfield in latter stages of Toulouse game. With their intelligent positioning and pressing they arguably did a better job than Trybull and McLean, albeit against more tired players.

Still think another body would be good but Farke must think others could do a job and play in a slightly different way?

2 hours ago, Renskay said:

According to the Douglas Luiz transfer to Aston Vila, if a player is signed to be an important member for the first team it can be used as a reason for a valid work permit application.

I know Radoja doesn't have the caps required to get a permit in line to the international games played rule but if Aston Villa are prepared to offer nearly £20m on the logic that he's going to be an important member of their team, it shows there's a bit of wiggle room.

When you aren't an elite club not everyone is going to be able to be an international.

The work permit system is points based. Paying a large fee and paying large wages gets points. Importance to the purchasing team doesn’t come into consideration. 

Radoja wouldn’t met the criteria. 

• Like 1

On 03/08/2019 at 12:37, Budapest Canary said:

Adam Nagy?

Age 24, 33 caps for Hungary since the age of 19, played 3 full games at the Euros in 2016, and most recently  in the Euro qualifiers against Croatia and Wales (btw both matches won by Hungary). Currently plays for Serie A side Bologna, but wants away due to limited gametime under new manager.  Bologna is willing to sell, and as Nagy's buying price was 1,8 m euros, I doubt they'd hold out for more than 3-5 m euros. He's industrious, pacy and clever player, and - as an ex-futsal player- a very good passer  too, so I'd believe  he'd fit well into Farke's playing style. I heard newly promoted serie A side Lecce was after him, but Corriere dello Sport mentions Bundesliga and La Liga sides among those interested.

In the meantime, according to tuttomercato The Robins offered a 4-year contract to Nagy....

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/tmw-bologna-il-bristol-city-in-pressing-per-nagy-1277059

• Like 1

On 03/08/2019 at 11:37, Budapest Canary said:

Adam Nagy?

On 07/08/2019 at 10:19, Budapest Canary said:

Now can't get in the Bristol City side. 

Goes to show that on paper he had a good CV, but in practice was probably no better than Tom Trybull.

Honestly, how many central midfielders do we want in a squad?  We have Skipp, Tettey, Mclean, Rupp, Sorenson & Vrancic.  That's 6 central midfielders for a team that plays with two.  That's also not considering that as I write this, Trybull and Leitner are both still here.  Including Sitti who I know is out on loan we have 9 players on the books for those two midfield slots.

1 minute ago, seanthecanary said:

Honestly, how many central midfielders do we want in a squad?  We have Skipp, Tettey, Mclean, Rupp, Sorenson & Vrancic.  That's 6 central midfielders for a team that plays with two.  That's also not considering that as I write this, Trybull and Leitner are both still here.  Including Sitti who I know is out on loan we have 9 players on the books for those two midfield slots.

Take a look at the date of the opening post for a hint...

Just now, king canary said:

Take a look at the date of the opening post for a hint...

Tbh, I didn't really look at that lol.  Having now seen it, this seems a strange thread to have been resurrected