Sign in to follow this  
Jobsworth Canary

So Then - time to nail your colours to the mast

If there are no more signings, which sadly seems increasingly likely, I'd say rock bottom, with the most goals conceded in the league and also probably the worst goal difference.  We'll get some plaudits for our attractive football and the odd unexpected result, but ultimately we'll be said to be a decent, attractive side, but too soft in general, too weak defensively and at times naive.

Anything better than the above (which of course I am hoping for) and we will be achieving greater than the sum of our parts.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

1 hour ago, lappinitup said:

Blimey. There's a herd of them........

not sure if that is the appropriate collective noun for them

a terd of them, perhaps

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

not sure if that is the appropriate collective noun for them

a terd of them, perhaps

A collection (of bins)?

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

You are Waveney and I claim a refund for the 7-45 to North Walsham that never turned up.😁

Can you just spell out and make it clear what this connection is that you have now mentioned on at least half a dozen threads in recent weeks with myself and trains ? Totally lost on me and other posters i know who i have spoken to about these ramblings. If it is a bizarre attempt at humour it is lost in translation.

Edited by TIL 1010

Think we'll stay up, beyond that I've not a scooby.

Having rewatched most of the Atalanta game on youtube I feel a bit less concerned than immediately post match. I can't believe Emi will have such a stinker again (he made one good dribble, lost the ball & then wandered round in a huff) & the determination to win the ball just wasn't there; we were playing our usual attractive stuff but without quite the urgency we had last season, & I think that'll kick in next Friday.

Oh go on then. Mid table.  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

I'm on record in a previous thread...and I've gone for a position between 9th and 12th and I expect us to get over 40 points.

Not an amazing season to come like the last of course but I think we will have some momentum with a team who know each other.

We will surprise a few teams too including positive results against some of the top six teams at home.

The Liverpool game next Friday is such a baptism of fire for us so our season may start in earnest the week after.

Never mind the danger......

16th, barring major injuries to the spine of our team. I am not too confident of this...The elusive defensive midfielder would have made me more confident. Still think we have got enough to stay up.

I've seen every promoted team to the top flight play in City colours since the early 80s and this is in my humble opinion the best collective one we have had.

With that in mind I will go with an optimistic 10th - 15th place. However, we are going to get spanked on a number of occasions, of that there is no doubt in my mind.

Bring it on!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Can you just spell out and make it clear what this connection is that you have now mentioned on at least half a dozen threads in recent weeks with myself and trains ? Totally lost on me and other posters i know who i have spoken to about these ramblings. If it is a bizarre attempt at humour it is lost in translation.

I never said it was a train. Just the 7-45. 

Provided we're lucky with injuries and all 4 of our signings turn out well I think 15th-16th. 

We'll get off to a very slow start, doubt we'll pick up more than a point from the first 5 games, thats purely going on Farke's last two seasons and a need to acclimatise.  But we'll find our feet eventually, we'll have one game in autumn where we look sensational and then build from that. I see us having a few blips in results along the way, a lot of games we come away feeling hard done by either through ref decisions or conceding cheap goals but I think we'll just scrape enough points. We'll outplay and look the better team in most games though, im pretty certain of that, results aside I think on performance we'll look comfortable at that level. I just worry about us a bit at the sharp ends of the pitch

I really don’t know. We’re going to ship goals, so it all comes down to how good we are going forward. If it clicks, we could even potentially sneak into the top half. If it doesn’t, we’ll struggle badly. Depending on which, I’d go 11th or 19th. If we’re only allowed to choose one, I’ll go for 15th and hedge my bets.

Tough to call, we've a squad with barely any Premier League experience and a Manager to match.

I'd like to think that we can remain competitive but we concede too many soft goals and the quality of the strikers we'll be facing will add to that. 

Right now I'd bite your hand off for 17th...

very foolish not to spend more on one or two players sounds like Daniel is already expecting us to be relegated when he talks about the other two promoted clubs signings .

10 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I never said it was a train. Just the 7-45. 

You are beyond words and i would seek professional help if i were you,weirdo.

39 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

very foolish not to spend more on one or two players sounds like Daniel is already expecting us to be relegated when he talks about the other two promoted clubs signings .

I think he's just being respectful, truth is Villa have spent a fortune buying players that they had on loan last season. Or a fortune to replace Abrahams, doesn't mean that they've improved greatly. 

As for Blades, Jagielka is 36, Freeman and McBurnie have never played in the Premier League, so is it really an upgrade? Time will tell. 

but Daniel, classy as ever, hands out the credit whilst remaining under the radar. 

We have unfulfilled talent so could be 11th but with a confidence knocking bad run it could be  bottom.  Right now I would say 17th but with little certainty.

How we bounce back from defeats will be key, retaining self belief and luck with injuries in a couple of positions will be key.

I really don't know- heart says we step up with ease, gut says we have to many games where we concede 3 or 4 goals and go down.

Outside the top 6 I genuinely feel there are points to be had so do not think we are automatic bottom 3. I'm therefore frustrated we haven't yet signed a DM better than Trybul, and an additional CH. That's risky.

Much has been said about our spirit and togetherness and we'll need that in bucketloads not to mention even better form than last season just to get a point in some games.  The silly defensive errors have to end.

Top of the bottom six mini league is my prediction!

Tough  my Heart says stick with the players that done so well as a team last season 

which can work as we have seen before 

i would have liked to seen a few more signings in Midfield , A DM with pace and high work rate is a must in this division

We Have Kept our best players which is fantastic and if they rise to the PL then we can have a good season i say we will finish 16th  

Depends if Pukki has brought his shooting boots. If yes, 15th, if no, not good. 

If we don't buy a defensive midfielder this week then I can't see us surviving. We can score for fun, but even poor PL teams will easily expose our very, very soft central area.

On 02/08/2019 at 21:14, norfolkbroadslim said:

If there are no more signings, which sadly seems increasingly likely, I'd say rock bottom, with the most goals conceded in the league and also probably the worst goal difference.  We'll get some plaudits for our attractive football and the odd unexpected result, but ultimately we'll be said to be a decent, attractive side, but too soft in general, too weak defensively and at times naive.

Anything better than the above (which of course I am hoping for) and we will be achieving greater than the sum of our parts.

😮😮😮

Sad to say I nailed it with my prediction.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

😮😮😮

Still 7 games left!

6 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

😮😮😮

I think I said 17th as long as we got a new defensive midfielder...

...we did but unfortunately he was about as effective as the Maginot Line.

OTBC

• Like 1

Yes, there are still 7 games left, but I think everyone at the club is now focused on next season being in the Champs.  We may well see a couple of unexpected results before the end of the season though.

Next season is a really tricky one.  Impossible for any predictions until we see what the final squad will be.  I have no doubt players will leave for big money.  It will be interesting to see who their replacements will be.

Coronavirus could work in our favour next season as many Championship clubs will have to cut their cloth.  We will to some extent, in comparison to a normal season, but we will have parachute payments and also I have little doubt, many millions from 3 or 4 sales.

Even with being in the Championship next season we need to address the defence.  That's both in personnel and in tactics.  If it goes unchecked I think promotion will be a struggle and even if we were promoted, as we have seen this season, it is not a good foundation for a campaign in the PL.

It will be Farke's 4th season with us.  He needs to show adaptability, that sometimes it is better not to play the 'ideal vision' of football that you may have in your head. He needs to show that he has learned from what has gone before.  He needs to show improvement in the defence. 

I think this season Farke has struggled with finding the key between a solid defence whilst maintaining an effective attack.  When we are on  it, we know we can play excellent, attractive football, and that we can score against anybody.  But that by playing that way, it leaves us more open, especially in the PL. 

Finding the answer to this in the Championship will for me not only be key to success in the Championship but also for a better season in the PL should we be promoted again.  If we go up on the back of being more solid, but also having the quality and tactics to play attractive, exciting, effective attacking football.  We will give ourselves a much better fighting chance for a season in the PL.

41 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

😮😮😮

You searched back for this just so you could say I told you so ?

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

You searched back for this just so you could say I told you so ?

To be fair he’s absolutely nailed that prediction so why not

• Like 2