Sign in to follow this  
pearsos

VAR Extra Time

Hi all, I am really looking forward to the coming season (my 54th watching the mighty Canaries) as I really feel that we have a great chance of staying in the Premier League.

With the introduction of VAR; which I fully support, (as in the past I feel the “big boys” have had more of the rub of the green compared to the rest) I was just wondering how much additional time you guys (and girls) think it will add to matches.

I know it depends on how many situations need to be looked at but what’s you gut feeling?

OTBC and in Farke and Webber we trust.

It will make ‘ extra time ‘ even more of a lottery than it is now.

Easy solution :-

Use a ‘ stop-clock’ that everyone can see, and everyone will know the game finishes at ‘ 90 ‘ .

Never hear any complaints from the rugby community.

Undoubtedly there will be more extra time as a result of VAR, but, as we saw in the Women's World cup, it doesn't always equate to how long play was stopped for!

I think there's some research somewhere that said the ball is only in play for around 60 minutes in a game.

There will be howls of derision when we're 1-0 down and only 5 mins is added and there have been 2 or 3 incidents reviewed. 

I wasn't at the game (watched online) - but Atalanta's second goal on Tuesday was reviewed, but I think I'm right that there seemed to be no indication of it at the ground - only a ref standing with his hand to his ear for a minute or so while the VAR official spoke to him.  Likewise, the skirmish between Srbeny and the defender seemed to be under review for a good 2 minutes.  It was obvious on TV as the cameras were focussed on the ref, but how did it appear in the stadium?

I thought they were meant to relay the footage onto the screen? - which at CR causes its own issue as a fair portion of the ground can’t see it (most of the Barclay).

It is certainly potentially going to see longer games - hopefully there will be some consistency in the time added, but for those who leave early/need to get away for the train (esp midweek games where the 2200 is the last back to London) will be missing more than they used to!

Let's remember that VAR isn't used in every match (silent checks aside). Even when it is used, it's normally just a minute or so. 

There are sometimes some controversial incidents which the ref takes a lot of time over. There was a game in Serie A last season between Frosinone and Parma where there was an incident in the box in the 94th minute and the penalty was taken in the 103rd. I think there was more to check than just the penalty though, maybe a previous foul, a potential red card or something.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I thought they were meant to relay the footage onto the screen? - which at CR causes its own issue as a fair portion of the ground can’t see it (most of the Barclay).

I think its shown on screen when a decision is overturned (e.g. an offside not given & then the goal is disallowed).  Not sure about red cards or penalty decisions.

• Like 1

No, it's not visible from the Barclay end (though they can rotate it, but even then I don't think its visible from the upper tier).  Not sure away fans can see it either.  Perhaps there should be a stadium announcement to go with it?

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It is certainly potentially going to see longer games - hopefully there will be some consistency in the time added, but for those who leave early/need to get away for the train (esp midweek games where the 2200 is the last back to London) will be missing more than they used to!

If we get any 8 o,clock kick off you’ll never make a 10 o’clock train

4 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

If we get any 8 o,clock kick off you’ll never make a 10 o’clock train

Have a word with Benny Till,  he'll pull a few strings , the train will wait.

Saw the VAR game this week.

struck me that if replays of VAR incidents are shown on the big screen, what use will that be to those fans in the Barclay? By the time the screen slowly turns round for them the moment will be lost.

Bet no other PL clubs will only have one screen for the whole stadium.

we need another one that can be seen by those who can’t see our present useless set up.

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

Saw the VAR game this week.

struck me that if replays of VAR incidents are shown on the big screen, what use will that be to those fans in the Barclay? By the time the screen slowly turns round for them the moment will be lost.

Bet no other PL clubs will only have one screen for the whole stadium.

we need another one that can be seen by those who can’t see our present useless set up.

Old Trafford and Anfield don't even have one, never mind two or more.