Sign in to follow this  
Jobsworth Canary

Jordan Rhodes

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I would rather he stayed. Being in a PL squad, with the quality of football he will be experiencing in training, may be better for him this season. He will get run outs in cup games - and may well even be given the nod to come on the pitch in the league more than we think.

Farke has successfully blooded and trusted four youngsters at first team level - and if Pukki was injured and we wanted two strikers on the pitch during a match, who's to say Idah would not be picked ahead of Rhodes to partner Drmic?  And if for some reason Drmic didn't cut the mustard and Pukki was out for some reason, Idah might even be given the front man job on his own, with Rhodes on the bench.....

I just feel that if the club considered Idah good enough they wouldn’t move for Rhodes. I doubt Norwich want 4 strikers - they did last season with three and their is less need for a fourth in the Prem. 

If there are 4 strikers it’s hard to see Idah even getting cup minutes - surely Drmic is earmarked for that as Norwich will probably only play one striker. 

Idah is now ready to move beyond youth football and needs to play games. With Max, Jamal, Godfrey and Cantwell they were all given significant pre season minutes. We haven’t seen that with Idah. 

From what I saw of Idah and Srbeny on Tuesday, it's the former who's more likely to succeed at PL level next season. He looked several classes above Srbeny and regardless of his potential versatility, he didn't appear to have the touch required to play at 10. I'm confident Cantwell is better suited to that role, so if we do go for Rhodes I think Srbeny will be moved on.

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

From what I saw of Idah and Srbeny on Tuesday, it's the former who's more likely to succeed at PL level next season. He looked several classes above Srbeny and regardless of his potential versatility, he didn't appear to have the touch required to play at 10. I'm confident Cantwell is better suited to that role, so if we do go for Rhodes I think Srbeny will be moved on.

I think is Rhodes comes in, there is a good chance they will both be moved on. 

Keep an eye on Srbeny to Heidenheim in Germany who are in the market for a big striker after they sold Glatzel to Cardiff. 

There is so much to discuss here -

Firstly Pukki is our number 1 striker, he has the form (last season), energy, tenacity and ruthlessness to be our striker for every game.

He will play international football and possibly be on the bench for cup games.

There will be games when he may be partnered in the final minutes and that could be by Srbeny or a Rhodes type forward, offering a more big man, small man.

He also carries a niggle with the toe and could have an injury, as any player can. He will be a marked man and if he was out for 6 months we would be nightly worried.

His direct cover is Drmic, looks a complete forward and should be at his prime. However he has had injury issues himself and hence the 3rd striker becomes important.

Srbeny has shown he can score when called upon, shown good link up play this preseason. But does he show enough to warrant a position of 2nd choice if Drmic or Pukki are out for a length of time? I don't know. He also has been utilised more in the 10 role in our normal system. So is he now in competition with Marco and Todd and if Todd is proving himself is Srbeny even further down the pecking order.

Idah is a player who can burst on the scene, would he be your 3rd choice again he would be 2nd (if Srbeny plays at 10) if Pukki or Drmic are injured? I think a cracking player who can have an impact but in the best league in the world it is a big ask. I think he will be on the bench and if we went to 2 strikers while chasing the game he would be a great option and have success. 

If we changed our formation to a 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 or any other formation and Pukki or Drmic were out would we have confidence in Srbeny or Idah to be our number 2 and 3 striker at that point? We will still play the same style of football but possibly while rejigging our formation. So it is not about changing tactics.

I would like to think Idah can, but if an option for Rhodes with a minimal fee, wages in our structure and may be a re jig of were Srbeny is positioned, is to number 10 then I see it. It does give a little of reassurance.

But if it doesn't come off I also don't mind as I want Srbeny and Idah to get minutes. I just think they will if we have Rhodes or not.

• Like 1

Signing Rhodes makes sense, it gives us more options.

Contrary to the belief of some, he didn't flop in the Championship, his goals to minutes on the pitch ratio was actually very good. Had Pukki not enjoyed the stellar season he did, or had he got injured and Rhodes had to lead the line, the stats (a woolly indicator, I know) suggest he would have scored 20+ goals last season.

We've signed Drmic as a striker, but I suspect he will feature out wide in some of his appearances. Having a third striker that Farke has faith to throw on in the Premier League (I suspect he doesn't have this faith in Idah yet, or Srbeny at all) gives him more to play with.

I think Idah is earmarked for a loan and Srbeny for a move back to Deutschland.

• Like 1

It could be Srbeny has shifted to a AM/second striker role with Rhodes in mind or it could be just to get fitness minutes. I think it's the former and thus the cheeky bid. As Dan says above, three top level strikers in the PL is a huge advantage. When Pukki was injured last season Rhodes came in and scored 3 goals in 3 games and kept our run going. Drmic has the advantage of being able to play WL or WR as well, so our attacking options are increased. Unlikely, but we could even end up with 4 strikers on the pitch when chasing a game!

There is no way a German side selling a top striker will replace him with a former 2nd/3rd division striker with a patchy scoring record, 4 goals maybe at City. 

Srbeny was bought as the 3rd striker option when we were in the Championship.  I don't think he's ever shown that he would be the 2nd or first choice and (I may be wrong) but didn't Farke say he was very much the back up?  Pukki's amazing season and Rhodes' experience/ability at Championship level kept Dennis out of the team/squad (as well as being an overseas player) so we never really saw if he was capable. 

From what I've seen, I don't think he could be a lone striker, and would be behind Stiepermann and Cantwell in the number 10 position.  But, like Stiepermann, his height is an advantage and, while we won't be lumping the ball forward, I do think we need a taller, more physical player up front who can hold the ball and bring in the midfield/wide players, so perhaps he does have a future here?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Woodman said:

like Stiepermann, his height is an advantage and, while we won't be lumping the ball forward, I do think we need a taller, more physical player up front who can hold the ball and bring in the midfield/wide players, so perhaps he does have a future here?

This ^^  If Stiepermann is going to be as important to us as last season, then to have a direct back up in the shape of Srbeny, who looks to have strengthened up a bit, may be important too.  I like him, he always gives something when he comes on the pitch and imo he is that kind of player who will always have an impact, regardless of how many times he sits on the bench.

I think if we had a decent loan option for Idah put on the the table (champs minimum) with a half decent loan fee we'd take it. Maybe it's already happened so need Rhodes to fill his spot, but can't accept the offer until we have another body in place.

I know it would be nice to have Idah around the first team this season, but he'd definitely benefit more from regular game time at a decent level. 

I'd like to see Rhodes return & Idah given a loan with a January recall option. Idah needs regular League One or Championship games to show everyone what he's capable of...

22 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

I'd like to see Rhodes return & Idah given a loan with a January recall option. Idah needs regular League One or Championship games to show everyone what he's capable of...

Imagine if Idah went to a League One club and wound up scoring a winner against the s(um in the League One playoff final. Legendary status confirmed without even making a Norwich appearance.

• Like 2

Idah has to develop as a player and he ain’t going to get a chance to do that under pressure in the Prem.

Rhodes is an integral part of what we achieved as a club last season and it would be good to see him back.

25 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Rather see Srbeny go than Idah 

Good job i didn't post that. 😜

34 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Imagine if Idah went to a League One club and wound up scoring a winner against the s(um in the League One playoff final. Legendary status confirmed without even making a Norwich appearance.

That's just ridiculous.

No chance s(um are making the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it’s a difficult one to call, Idah has so much ahead of him and will be motivated, Rhodes really isn’t good enough at 29, 30 in Feb is way past his best. Free or not, I’m not one for wanting high earners back on the books, I’d much rather see Srbeny gone and keep Idah here, if he doesn’t make a breakthrough then loan him out in January.

I think we need better than Rhodes, we don’t need a 3rd choice back up, we need a first choice starter to push other strikers. 

I see you point indy with regard to other positions but Drmic and Pukki are 1 and 2.

We aren't going to be able to afford a starter to replace Pukki.

But also the team cohesion would be lost, hence if you want to bring someone in, who would join on our terms then someone who is already bought into our model is a good move.

We will see.

Hopefully we will see a player coming in as starter for that DM position and I am sure we may be looking at others and if the opportunity arose we could have another target in.

But hoping we grab a starter in the DM position and possibly Rhodes. It is all getting very close to planning for Toulouse, and Liverpool. So if someone is coming in I want us to speed it up.

5 minutes ago, smooth said:

I see you point indy with regard to other positions but Drmic and Pukki are 1 and 2.

We aren't going to be able to afford a starter to replace Pukki.

But also the team cohesion would be lost, hence if you want to bring somewhere in, who would join on our terms then someone who is already bought into our model is a good move.

We will see.

Hopefully we will see a player coming in as starter for that DM position and I am sure we may be looking at others and if the opportunity arose we could have another target in.

But hoping we grab a starter in the DM position and possibly Rhodes. It is all getting very close to planning for Toulouse, and Liverpool. So if someone is coming in I want us to speed it up.

And that’s my point, I don’t like the idea of going back down the older pro who’s not really going to improve what we have, he’d probably be on £20k a week and want a three year deal, that’ll be a 3 million budget to find for someone who might not contribute much, we did that and got rid of the deadwood in the Naismith’s & Jarvis’s.

Just my opinion and I have no doubt DF & Webber will no doubt do what they see fit, they’ve done very well to now, by not doing this way but playing our talented youngsters, we’ll see.

Edited by Indy

Yeah I certainly see that point. I guess if he came it would be interesting to see the length of contract.

But very fair points.

2 minutes ago, smooth said:

Yeah I certainly see that point. I guess if he came it would be interesting to see the length of contract.

But very fair points.

👍

3 minutes ago, smooth said:

But very fair points.

If we could get him for free and a pay as you play contract, that would be perfect. Never going to happen 😊

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Idah has to develop as a player and he ain’t going to get a chance to do that under pressure in the Prem.

Rhodes is an integral part of what we achieved as a club last season and it would be good to see him back.

Agree with the second sentence, but for me, Idah is right in there with a shout of making it in the PL. The chances are he would be limited to cup games and the occasional sub appearance in the league at first, but we have seen it before in quite a clear way - Aarons and Godfrey were rewarded and given their chance and took it, Cantwell too - Lewis the previous season - and if Idah does well in early cup games, he could be rewarded with at least a sub appearance in the league - and who knows - a fearless powerful young striker might well be up for the challenge and force his way into the reckoning. If you're good enough you're old enough.

• Like 1

A good loan move for Idah makes sense. He looks physically ready for it, and he'd get good minutes. I think we would need Rhodes in first.

I see Srbeny likely covering a few positions as backup. 

The Idah thing is very hard to call, physically he's up to it, no bother, technically....probably, pace...yes. Strength definitely. He has met all challenges head on so far, dropped into Ireland u21 at the last minute, with starts. Penalties despatched, simple.  I know I'm biased as I kinda know the lad from way back but if I was DF, I'd keep him in premier squad, for these reasons...Cup games, it's been said by someone that Drmic will start those, I'm not so sure, keeping both Pukki and Drmic fit for the prem is essential.  I reckon Drmic will get plenty of game time as Pukki will have to work even harder to make an impact, therefore tiring earlier. Leaving cup games at least for Idah and Drmic. Pace, Idah can play on the right of a front three, he's quick too. Nothing against JR , but he's not the most versatile, or quick. Experience, or lack of, wouldn't be the first 18 year old ever to look totally at home in the premier League, JR never set the prem alight and he's 29. 

Added bonus. If Idah represents Norwich at Senior competitive level it will be huge over here, particularly in Cork, he's our Todd Cantwell , local boy.

14 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

The Idah thing is very hard to call, physically he's up to it, no bother, technically....probably, pace...yes. Strength definitely. He has met all challenges head on so far, dropped into Ireland u21 at the last minute, with starts. Penalties despatched, simple.  I know I'm biased as I kinda know the lad from way back but if I was DF, I'd keep him in premier squad, for these reasons...Cup games, it's been said by someone that Drmic will start those, I'm not so sure, keeping both Pukki and Drmic fit for the prem is essential.  I reckon Drmic will get plenty of game time as Pukki will have to work even harder to make an impact, therefore tiring earlier. Leaving cup games at least for Idah and Drmic. Pace, Idah can play on the right of a front three, he's quick too. Nothing against JR , but he's not the most versatile, or quick. Experience, or lack of, wouldn't be the first 18 year old ever to look totally at home in the premier League, JR never set the prem alight and he's 29. 

Added bonus. If Idah represents Norwich at Senior competitive level it will be huge over here, particularly in Cork, he's our Todd Cantwell , local boy.

Unless there are injuries I’m 99% certain Drmic will start cup games. We’ve seen that Farke doesn’t rotate in the league and doesn’t make particularly early substitutions. Drmic will need the cup games to maintain match fitness. Idah will get the EFL trophy, but probably needs more games than that. 

The facts as I see them are that Norwich have gone back in for Rhodes and were happy to have 3 strikers last season and only really had 2 in Farke’s first season.  I can’t see Norwich wanting or needing more than three this season.

If Norwich are trying to get Rhodes then both Idah and Srbeny are probably seen as surplus (for this season at least).   

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Unless there are injuries I’m 99% certain Drmic will start cup games. We’ve seen that Farke doesn’t rotate in the league and doesn’t make particularly early substitutions. Drmic will need the cup games to maintain match fitness. Idah will get the EFL trophy, but probably needs more games than that. 

The facts as I see them are that Norwich have gone back in for Rhodes and were happy to have 3 strikers last season and only really had 2 in Farke’s first season.  I can’t see Norwich wanting or needing more than three this season.

If Norwich are trying to get Rhodes then both Idah and Srbeny are probably seen as surplus (for this season at least).   

Don't completely disagree Bethno, except for my Cork bias and having been involved with Youth footy over here  for some time, I like to see young players go upwards till they reach their potential. If Idah stays, I'm sure he'll be aware it'll mostly be Cameo appearances, unless he really nails it. If he's out on loan then he won't be integrating  here further this season, which is surely why he went on tour to Germany. This is only my opinion, not what I say will happen. I can see some value in Rhodes coming but that's short term, unless we go back down and Pukki Drmic move on.

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Good job i didn't post that. 😜

Maybe I'll get as much stick but I just don't see what Srbeny adds to the team that others ahead of him don't give us. 

As a striker he's never going to be ahead of Pukki or Drmic and as a "No.10" he's behind Stieperman, Cantwell and probably 1 or 2 others that could do that role 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

This is modern day football. Rhodes ( and his family ) I assume from all said want to be in Norwich, even if it means a big wage cut and sitting on the bench. Rhodes ( assuming we have said we will take take him off their hands ) will refuse to go anywhere else, so consequently SW have a player they don’t rate on huge wages for 2 seasons ( whose family will possibly continue to live in Norfolk ) or they will release him by mutual agreement. Similar to the likes of Naismith here they are in a catch 22.