Sign in to follow this  
Jobsworth Canary

Jordan Rhodes

2 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

My inclusion issues again raising its ugly head šŸ˜

D1ckhead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well he never cut it in The Championship, realise he is good for the dressing room but a couple of hookers in there before the game could raise their spirit at a fraction of the cost

10 minutes ago, daly said:

Well he never cut it in The Championship, realise he is good for the dressing room but a couple of hookers in there before the game could raise their spirit at a fraction of the cost

No need for hookers just pin a few photos of WAGS of Trybull, Leitner and Roberts on the walls and that will do the trick.

he's been banging them in for wednesday in pre season, worth a go although not sure he'll get a game with ourĀ front line now....

Do we need him any more? Pukki and Drmic will clearly be the first two options, and what would we do with Idah? Does he drop back to the Under-23s, even though he has by the sound of it impressed in pre-season, does he go on loan or does he twiddle his thumbs doing nothing? I imagine this would be the end for Srbeny, which would free up a homegrown slot, but I'm still not sure it's totally worth it...

It has been reported in the local paper {The Star) that we made an offer to take Rhodes on a free transfer, on the face of it cheeky, but if they really want to get rid of his high wages and given that they have a lot of strikers (and Fletcher is being touted as being first choice in their opening match at Reading this weekend) then maybe it is not as cheeky as it first looks.......

If true it looks to me Srbeny could be on his way as 5 strikers is a bit excessive with Pukki, Drmic, Idah and now possibly Rhodes.

Sounds like taking the **** but if we had offered to take over his wages then that's Ā£2.3m in wages if rumours are true us on around 45k pw.Ā  And as much as i like Rhodes I wouldn't want to outlay much more on someone unlikely to have resale value.

I don't see it's cheeky - we've let RVW (cost us Ā£8m), Naismith (Ā£8.5m.) and Oliveira (Ā£4m.) go on free transfers to clear their wages off our books in recent times. As Wednesday have 74 strikers and seemingly little inclination to play him (particularly as he doesn't want to be there) then I can't see why they'd be offended. If they are then they're idiots. Yes, they might get a transfer fee from some other club, but it's a long shot, and any club likely to buy him and offer money will be one of their stronger Championship rivals. So, I think we're right to do this. If they want to get all arsey about it then fine, they can keep him as an expensive non-playing reserve.

Edited by Grando

I'd take him on a free, very cheeky but they might accept if nothing better is on the table

Seems a waste of wages to me, even on a free. Does he add anything different now that weā€™ve got Drmic in as well? Is he good enough to get 10 goals in the prem if Drmic or Pukki get injured and heā€™s needed as first or second choice? Answer to both isĀ noĀ imo.

For me, we either go with the academy lads or we bring someone in who adds something else - maybe a more playmaker style striker. IĀ wonā€™t mind if we do bring him in - heā€™d be a decent third of fourth choice, but I think we can spend the money better elsewhere.

Common for clubs who want to offload high earners they no longer want on a free. We've tried to get clubs to take some of our players off of our hands for free recently, there's nothing derisory about offering to take on the high wages of another clubs unwanted, expensive failed signing. If Rhodes is on 30k pw and will not play we're basically offering them 1.5m for a player who will leave on a free anyway after Wednesday have paid those wages and not playedĀ him.Ā 

Ā 

They're very naive if they think they're gonna get a fee for a player they're so obviously desperate to get rid of from the only club willing to take him in this circumstance. I expect him to arrive on or near deadline day and i doubt there will be any fee involved.Ā 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

Seems a waste of wages to me, even on a free. Does he add anything different now that weā€™ve got Drmic in as well? Is he good enough to get 10 goals in the prem if Drmic or Pukki get injured and heā€™s needed as first or second choice? Answer to both isĀ noĀ imo.

For me, we either go with the academy lads or we bring someone in who adds something else - maybe a more playmaker style striker. IĀ wonā€™t mind if we do bring him in - heā€™d be a decent third of fourth choice, but I think we can spend the money better elsewhere.

The only thing is Aggy, it appears thatĀ SW & DF see a role for him else why offer to take him off Sheff Weds books? After all, we knew about their "soft embargo" and did the decent thing by leavingĀ the door wide open for them to take MarshallĀ šŸ˜

2 hours ago, Dogbo Daggins said:

Would his inclusion just be to free up an overseas spot by replacingĀ Srbeny with him?

If that were so, what would be the point of that - for example do we have a DM target in mind that we canā€™t bring in because of that issue?Ā 

I think it shows that he has real value to the team.

I have always thought if there was a way it would be great as he wants to be here and does give us a different option. I also think he would score goals in the prem if he found some form.

Great offer at the right time. I Def want to see us busy this and next week in the transfer market.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ABC (A Basingstoke Canary) said:

The only thing is Aggy, it appears thatĀ SW & DF see a role for him else why offer to take him off Sheff Weds books? After all, we knew about their "soft embargo" and did the decent thing by leavingĀ the door wide open for them to take MarshallĀ šŸ˜

If we really wanted him, Iā€™m absolutely sure weā€™d have got him by now. The Ā£0 offer sounds suspicious to me and Iā€™m not sure I believe it. If we do get him, it will be a last minute thing and he will be in as third or fourth choice.

The way I look at it, if we are desperate in January, would signing him solve our problems? If not, whatā€™s the point in bringing him in? Unless we donā€™t think Idah is anywhere near ready and/or we canā€™t really on Drmic to stay fit.Ā 

8 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

Sounds like taking the **** but if we had offered to take over his wages then that's Ā£2.3m in wages if rumours are true us on around 45k pw.Ā  And as much as i like Rhodes I wouldn't want to outlay much more on someone unlikely to have resale value.

I am sure he is offering to cut his wages as well if the 1st squad are on less money.

7 hours ago, Dogbo Daggins said:

Would his inclusion just be to free up an overseas spot by replacingĀ Srbeny with him?

The two things aren't really related - Norwich can have up to 17 non-homegrown players, regardless of how many homegrown players there are in the squad.

Trying to sign Rhodes, to me, suggests Farke doesn't consider Idah up to standard yet.

Nice to see the (possible) return of the genuine free (under contract) transfer, as opposed to the free-agency free transfer.

21 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The two things aren't really related - Norwich can have up to 17 non-homegrown players, regardless of how many homegrown players there are in the squad.

Trying to sign Rhodes, to me, suggests Farke doesn't consider Idah up to standard yet.

Might be the case, but more likely Srbeny as heā€™s struggled last year and doesnā€™t look like heā€™ll ever be good enough for the premiership.

We need four strikers going into this season in my opinion and Iā€™m not sure Rhodes is anywhere near premiership standard but definitely a far better player than Srbeny.

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

Might be the case, but more likely Srbeny as heā€™s struggled last year and doesnā€™t look like heā€™ll ever be good enough for the premiership.

We need four strikers going into this season in my opinion and Iā€™m not sure Rhodes is anywhere near premiership standard but definitely a far better player than Srbeny.

Srbeny is being deployed as a 10 now, so wonder if Farke will want him to stay due to a bit more versatility.Ā 

Also, better to send Idah out on loan than be 4th choice striker.Ā 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

better to send Idah out on loan than be 4th choice striker.Ā 

I would rather he stayed. Being in a PL squad, with the quality of football he will be experiencing in training, may be better for him this season. He will get run outs in cup games - and may well even be given the nod to come on the pitch in the league more than we think.

Farke has successfully blooded and trusted four youngsters at first team level - and if Pukki was injured and we wanted two strikers on the pitch during a match, who's to say Idah would not be picked ahead of Rhodes to partner Drmic?Ā  And if for some reason Drmic didn't cut the mustard and Pukki was out for some reason, Idah might even be given the front man job on his own, with Rhodes on the bench.....

Ā