Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

New goal kick rules

If a defender was under pressure from an attacker they could just step inside the box and make the goal kick be retaken. Now if they do that it just means they are even closer to their own goal and still under pressure. Great rule change IMO

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It’s to promoted teams playing out from the back and to create a more attractive game. 

On the other hand they might not want to risk anything and just go long all the time

• Sad 1

I presume once the defender has touched the ball the forward is allowed to then come into the area to close them down ?

13 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I presume once the defender has touched the ball the forward is allowed to then come into the area to close them down ?

It is this that makes me wonder why the need for a change in the rule.  We saw last night how kicking a goal kick short just invited pressure even closer to the goal than before.  Seems a bit of a pointless change to me, just complicating the rules.

57 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

On the other hand they might not want to risk anything and just go long all the time

Yep, I thought I ead somewhere that it was to stop the defender from touching it inside and then a retaken goalkick, surely it was easier just to make it a free kick to the opposing team in that situation or a free kick to the defending team if the forward touches it first. 

What next, get rid of throw ins and bring in roll ons 🤷‍♂️😂

I think it’s actually a sensible rule change as it was was being used to waste time, too. Now that teams play it out from the back the defender just stepped into the area for the kick to be retaken - so a ‘no-lose’ for the defending side. That’s now taken away. The alternative, of a (presumably) indirect free kick to the attacking side, seems rather harsh.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I like the change, means that teams who like to play out from the back can still do so, even with high pressing from the opposition. I can’t see it changing much in terms of tactics though

5 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Yep, I thought I ead somewhere that it was to stop the defender from touching it inside and then a retaken goalkick, surely it was easier just to make it a free kick to the opposing team in that situation or a free kick to the defending team if the forward touches it first. 

What next, get rid of throw ins and bring in roll ons 🤷‍♂️😂

Yep, I've thought for a long time this was an under-handed tactic and I'm glad the new rule stops it.

One thing from a tactical point of view though is that if I were a coach, I wouldn't put my defenders in the box to receive the pass, because it is just inviting pressure in a more dangerous area. I'd still make sure my defenders are on the edge of the box before the keeper makes a pass because there's more space for the defenders to play the ball around in.

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yep, I've thought for a long time this was an under-handed tactic and I'm glad the new rule stops it.

One thing from a tactical point of view though is that if I were a coach, I wouldn't put my defenders in the box to receive the pass, because it is just inviting pressure in a more dangerous area. I'd still make sure my defenders are on the edge of the box before the keeper makes a pass because there's more space for the defenders to play the ball around in.

I was saying this last night before the first Atalanta goal. We played with fire a few times up to that point.

Although we don't want to go back to they days of Hansen passing back to Clemence so he can pick it up and roll it back again ad nauseum, there is something to be said for a decent Pat Jennings-sized wallop up the pitch. No chance of a pacey striker nicking that of of a defenders toe.

7 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It’s to promoted teams playing out from the back and to create a more attractive game. 

I believe one of the thoughts behind it is that goal kicks can be taken far quicker without the need for a long run up by the keeper, though I.m not sure how it would work if the opposing player(s) are slow getting out of the 18 yard box

it does also mean that the 'kicking' side can retain possession rather than it being hoofed into a melee of players

though how it will work with high pressing players - whatever they are I have no idea

far better though would be to have thrown ins taken fro where te ball went out, as can be indicated by the linesman

unnecessarily playing the ball after a free kick has been given - yellow card or move the ball 10 yards closer to the goal

allow the corner flag to be removed at corners as almost every corner involves the kicker placing the ball just outside the white line

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I’d say the exact opposite.

The first pass is the issue. Once the first pass has been made, you have the extra man (the keeper) to avoid the press.

Under the old goal kick rule, attacking sides could just push up and man mark the defenders. This meant the keeper couldn’t make the first pass and had to whack it long.

Now, the first pass can be made easily. If the defender is on the edge of the 18 yard box, they will be under more immediate pressure because the attackers can get closer. If the defender is midway into the box, the attackers are 10 yards away.

If your defenders and keeper aren’t good enough to play it out from the back, it doesn’t really matter if they’re trying it 20 yards out or 10 yards out. However, the new rule means the first pass is much easier, so those sides whose keeper and defence are good enough, should now find it easier to employ their tactics. 

Can’t you still waste time with the keeper taking a slow goal kick that doesn’t leave the area and the defender refusing to touch the ball despite it being in play? 

As I understand it, as soon as the keeper kicks it, the forwards can enter the area.

30 minutes ago, Jezzard said:

Can’t you still waste time with the keeper taking a slow goal kick that doesn’t leave the area and the defender refusing to touch the ball despite it being in play? 

9 hours ago, Aggy said:

I’d say the exact opposite.

The first pass is the issue. Once the first pass has been made, you have the extra man (the keeper) to avoid the press.

Under the old goal kick rule, attacking sides could just push up and man mark the defenders. This meant the keeper couldn’t make the first pass and had to whack it long.

Now, the first pass can be made easily. If the defender is on the edge of the 18 yard box, they will be under more immediate pressure because the attackers can get closer. If the defender is midway into the box, the attackers are 10 yards away.

If your defenders and keeper aren’t good enough to play it out from the back, it doesn’t really matter if they’re trying it 20 yards out or 10 yards out. However, the new rule means the first pass is much easier, so those sides whose keeper and defence are good enough, should now find it easier to employ their tactics. 

I see you point, but with both old rules and new, the forwards will press relentlessly as soon as the ball is kicked.

With the old rule, generally one of the keeper's team-mates would find enough space because it's incredibly rare to see the opposition send five players forward to go man-for-man, and between a back four and holding midfielder spread out across the width of the pitch, there should always be a spare man to make a safe pass.

With the new rule, the opposing striker will just be waiting on the edge of the box like a 100m sprinter waiting for the gun, and as a result will possibly arrive at the defender who receives the pass earlier, and in a far more dangerous position. 

21 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

With the new rule, the opposing striker will just be waiting on the edge of the box like a 100m sprinter waiting for the gun, and as a result will possibly arrive at the defender who receives the pass earlier, and in a far more dangerous position. 

This. It will alter tactics of pressing teams and will make it harder, not easier to play out from the back. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

This. It will alter tactics of pressing teams and will make it harder, not easier to play out from the back. 

If the attackers do that, the keeper can then go long into the space behind them.

The rule change makes the pitch bigger for the kicking team, thus making it easier to play out. Many IFAB rule changes are about expanding the size of the playable are of the pitch, as teams facing goal kicks have been pushing up higher and higher on defenders this now allows the defence more opportunity to play out.

But as others have mentioned, the main reason to rule has been implemented is to stop defenders receiving the kick going into the box and forcing it to be retaken and wasting time.

Compared to some of the other rule changes, I like this one. 

• Like 1

I have never thought you should change the rules to adopt a certain style of football. But I think it was a bit of a daft rule anyway. The penalty area was not there for goal kicks but a part of the pitch where if a defender fouled he gave away a penalty.

12 hours ago, Bill said:

I believe one of the thoughts behind it is that goal kicks can be taken far quicker without the need for a long run up by the keeper, though I.m not sure how it would work if the opposing player(s) are slow getting out of the 18 yard box

it does also mean that the 'kicking' side can retain possession rather than it being hoofed into a melee of players

though how it will work with high pressing players - whatever they are I have no idea

far better though would be to have thrown ins taken fro where te ball went out, as can be indicated by the linesman

unnecessarily playing the ball after a free kick has been given - yellow card or move the ball 10 yards closer to the goal

allow the corner flag to be removed at corners as almost every corner involves the kicker placing the ball just outside the white line

Never understand why they just don't make then corner area bigger and have the rule that it has to be inside, it's nonsense that players try really hard to get it to 'just touch' every time 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If the attackers do that, the keeper can then go long into the space behind them.

The rule change makes the pitch bigger for the kicking team, thus making it easier to play out. Many IFAB rule changes are about expanding the size of the playable are of the pitch, as teams facing goal kicks have been pushing up higher and higher on defenders this now allows the defence more opportunity to play out.

But as others have mentioned, the main reason to rule has been implemented is to stop defenders receiving the kick going into the box and forcing it to be retaken and wasting time.

Compared to some of the other rule changes, I like this one. 

You can make the pitch bigger by pushing the full backs and wide players out to the touchline for every goal kick, this means the defending team has to cover it and therefore opens more space in the middle of the pitch to play. 

I remember Brighton coming to Carrow Road a few years ago and for defending corners they put wide players on either touchline and the centre forward down the middle, therefore we needed to drop 4 back to cover which meant less attackers in the box, surprised I'd only seen that the once. 

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I remember Brighton coming to Carrow Road a few years ago and for defending corners they put wide players on either touchline and the centre forward down the middle, therefore we needed to drop 4 back to cover which meant less attackers in the box, surprised I'd only seen that the once. 

It's a valid tactic, but it's also worth remembering that it's easier for attackers to find and attack space in an emptyish box. 

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's a valid tactic, but it's also worth remembering that it's easier for attackers to find and attack space in an emptyish box. 

Definitely, you need to make sure your defenders know how to defend a corner or you have a keeper that will come and claim everything in a fairly empty box.