Sign in to follow this  
Hucks6

Goalkeeper

I know it’s only friendly but I think Tim Krull will be no 1, tin hat on

• Like 1

Just now, Hucks6 said:

No need for a tin hat, Krul is a very good keeper and I too think he’ll start the season at Anfield. He’s earned that. Our defenders know him much better in such a setting, and being fluent in English I’m sure that only adds to better communication at the back (of course), which is vital. But I think there’s much more to come from Fahrmann too. He’s a pedigree keeper, and for reasons above, and perhaps a couple more understandable ones, I don’t think we saw the best of him tonight by a long shot (excuse the pun).

Fahrmann is a very good goalkeeper but he needs to learn the english style and get his confidence back after his injury. Angus Gunn didn't start off great and ended up brilliant. Same as timmy k

• Like 1

I also feel some of the goals tonight, his defence collapsed around him as we tired.

We have two good keepers, I also agree Fahrmann is certainly going to get better and show his pedigree. Krul certainly knows the young group and it is easier for him to start with an existing team cohesion. But I am sure both will build on that and be important for us this season

• Like 1

Perhaps it's just me but from Keelan onwards (when I first sat on the wooden benches in the Main stand) we've always had good goalkeepers - probably because we've (sadly) always given them plenty of match time shot stopping practise !

Krul and Fahrmann are both excellent keepers but Krul deserves his start at Anfield. Fahrmann did nothing wrong and could do nothing about their goals. No worries there.

Edited by Yellow Fever

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'll borrow the tin hat to say no way should Todd be loaned out anywhere...

I didn't see the game, but by all accounts Todd played well, best to bring it up now than wait for the naysayers to jump on board the moment he doesn't perform. 

Don’t think Fahrmann did anything wrong against Atalanta, but didn’t do anything to make himself stand out. I believe him to be a better goal keeper than Tim Krul though. 

Farke has a tough choice for the season ahead and I’m never to keen on the idea of not having a clear No. 1. 

As for Todd, like Idah, he appears to have shown in training and friendlies that Norwich don’t need to go into the transfer market for players in those positions. 

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'll borrow the tin hat to say no way should Todd be loaned out anywhere...

100% agree with this. The guy has ability.

Also agree TK should be in from the start. Then it's up to him to keep that spot and Fahrmann to give Farke something to think about in training.

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Don’t think Fahrmann did anything wrong against Atalanta, but didn’t do anything to make himself stand out. I believe him to be a better goal keeper than Tim Krul though. 

Farke has a tough choice for the season ahead and I’m never to keen on the idea of not having a clear No. 1. 

As for Todd, like Idah, he appears to have shown in training and friendlies that Norwich don’t need to go into the transfer market for players in those positions. 

The reasons why Krul should start for me are his familiarity with our defence and his ability to direct them. I’ve no idea what sort of presence Fahrmann has, but he is new to our setup. Despite their obvious talents, the one thing our defence is clearly short on is experience, and from what I saw, this was exposed in the game last night when we were caught out at the back several times. Krul’s time in the game, and time spent in the Premier League, is invaluable (Webber and Farke have said something similar more than once) and should be used to help us with the transition into this season. It may well turn out that Fahrmann has better pure keeping skills which come into their own as the season goes on, but for now it’s about more than that. 

13 hours ago, Hucks6 said:

I totally agree!

I thought Fahrmann was shaky last night. Tim will undoubtedly be supporting him but I bet he was pleased to see a few mistakes creeping out with Ralf too.

I don't think our line up for Liverpool will be too far away from what we started with last night... Here's how I think it'll go-

Krul

Lewis Klose Godfrey Aarons

Trybull Leitner

Buendia Roberts

Stiepi (perhaps TC after such a good performance last night)

Pukki

Edited by BobLoz3

I didn't think Fahrmann looked shaky last night. There was the one-on-one where he started to come and then backed off, when he'd probably have made it - being indecisive is never a good look. That aside, though, I thought his distribution was excellent and decision-making was fine. He clearly prefers to palm/punch rather than catch, but he did fine from where I was sitting. Still a tough call for the Liverpool match, though - as they'll press us high, we might not play out from the back as much as we'll expect to over the season at large. That might make Krul a more solid choice.

Krul definitely deserves to start however needs to concentrate and cut out the schoolboy errors that he suffered at the early part of last season.  The errors were self inflicted and led to the stick he deservedly suffered but recovered for the season later on and played well enough but once or twice failed to deal with pass backs.  Tim keep your place by doing it properly.

33 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I didn't think Fahrmann looked shaky last night. There was the one-on-one where he started to come and then backed off, when he'd probably have made it - being indecisive is never a good look. That aside, though, I thought his distribution was excellent and decision-making was fine. He clearly prefers to palm/punch rather than catch, but he did fine from where I was sitting. Still a tough call for the Liverpool match, though - as they'll press us high, we might not play out from the back as much as we'll expect to over the season at large. That might make Krul a more solid choice.

No?

I did!

Some of his kicking barely reached the half way line and he didn't look as comfortable with his feet as I thought he would. Agreed, it is his first proper start in some time and probably first 90 mins for a while too. I'm sure he'll improve as he has excellent pedigree.

I also thought the defenders being allowed in the box from a goalkick caused him some confusion. He often didn't know who to look for in those situations and instead attempted to kick it long.

Edited by BobLoz3

From what I saw on the YouTube stream, he seemed comfortable with the ball at his feet, preferring to pass to his defenders.  When under pressure he still seemed to be wary of kicking long, and with Todd in the 10 role, that type of ball is generally going to result in turning the ball over to the opposition.  Being taller, Stiepermann is a better option for the long ball out of defence, and of course, he didn't play last night.

Krul was able to play a chipped ball out to Aarons or Lewis slightly further up field on the wings last season, and I can't recall that being available as often to Fahrmann last night.  I wouldn't put that all down to Fahrmann's ability though, the whole defence needs to be 'awake' (one of DF's favourite words!) to the options when we have the ball in our own penalty area.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

The reasons why Krul should start for me are his familiarity with our defence and his ability to direct them. I’ve no idea what sort of presence Fahrmann has, but he is new to our setup. Despite their obvious talents, the one thing our defence is clearly short on is experience, and from what I saw, this was exposed in the game last night when we were caught out at the back several times. Krul’s time in the game, and time spent in the Premier League, is invaluable (Webber and Farke have said something similar more than once) and should be used to help us with the transition into this season. It may well turn out that Fahrmann has better pure keeping skills which come into their own as the season goes on, but for now it’s about more than that. 

Krul has more experience with the Norwich defenders, that’s true, but Fahrmann will never get that experience unless he is played. 

Fahrmann has more experience in top flight football than Krul and has played Champions League, so can’t argue that Krul is more experienced than him.