Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Norwich v Atalanta live stream

I have been concerned for ages but get shot down on here if I ever raise any question at all. Bottom line is that we needed to bolster a leaky defence from last year - to give our fantastic attack a chance. But we haven’t. Play like that next week and Liverpool will rip us a new one...

Hope I am wrong but I think we have a sub standard defence for this level and need a CDM as a matter of urgency. 

On the plus side - I think we will score goals. 

• Thanks 1

It was a friendly (just a reminder for some). So just like beating Shalke doesnt make us top 8 material, this doesnt make us relegation material.

• Like 2

Liverpool will have 6+ if we let that second half performance follow us into the season.

It is still only pre-season - but with 10 days until the start of the season, very worrying.

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Klose and Godfrey look shattered after 60 mins and stopped running. Atalanta then brought on their better players and took advantage. Some good moments, some poor moments. 

Some of the pressing and passing by Norwich in the first half was really good and looked a step up from last season. Concentration again letting some down though. 

Aside from Zapata and Toloi, and maybe Castagne, they started at full strength. Their first half team was definitely better than their second.

A game of 2 halves as they say. I will judge us more by the overall stronger side that got 45 mins in the 1st half. But Atalanta are a top team, and it’s a warning. My team for the start of the season based on tonight - 

Krul,

Aarons,

Godfrey,

Klose,

Lewis,

Trybull,

Leitner,

Roberts,

Hernandez,

Cantwell,

Pukki.

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Nothing that wasn't obvious last season. Very average in defence.

Yep, but also mistakes resulted in goals, last season we could have got away with a few of those.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Aside from Zapata and Toloi, and maybe Castagne, they started at full strength. Their first half team was definitely better than their second.

Mainly Zapata I was thinking about, but Barrow’s strength and pace was killer for a tired defence. They couldn’t make the ball stick in the first half, Norwich couldn’t take it off them after 60. 

They are obviously a good team. Gomez has Trybull on toast for most of the game. I suspect Norwich were training this morning and Atalanta weren’t though. 

Farke wanted a test and in selecting this fixture for pre season he got one.

Toulouse will not offer anything like Atalanta have done. Expect us to win that one and settle us down for the start of the season.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

A game of 2 halves as they say. I will judge us more by the overall stronger side that got 45 mins in the 1st half. But Atalanta are a top team, and it’s a warning. My team for the start of the season based on tonight - 

Krul,

Aarons,

Godfrey,

Klose,

Lewis,

Trybull,

Leitner,

Roberts,

Hernandez,

Cantwell,

Pukki.

No Emi? Brave.

This showed how ruthless it’s going to be next season.

Thankfully not all teams are as good as Atalanta but we’ll be getting beat by three goals or more some weeks and must make the most of opportunities against lesser lights.

I think we’ll be OK ( just )

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Krul,

Aarons,

Godfrey,

Klose,

Lewis,

Trybull,

Leitner,

Roberts,

Hernandez,

Cantwell,

Pukki.

Agree, who would think Emi would be so off his game, unless targetted as our danger man, maybe why Todd had such a free first half. Emi looked very frustrated when he came off,

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Yep, but also mistakes resulted in goals, last season we could have got away with a few of those.

Yes, but we won't be playing Rotherham and Bolton this season.

• Like 1

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Mainly Zapata I was thinking about, but Barrow’s strength and pace was killer for a tired defence. They couldn’t make the ball stick in the first half, Norwich couldn’t take it off them after 60. 

They are obviously a good team. Gomez has Trybull on toast for most of the game. I suspect Norwich were training this morning and Atalanta weren’t though. 

Whenever I saw Barrow last season, he looked ****. I guess playing against a tired defence made it easier for him, though. 

Gomez is a top class player who I like a lot, as is Ilicic, but the latter was completely invisible in the first half, which means we did something right.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Agree, who would think Emi would be so off his game, unless targetted as our danger man, maybe why Todd had such a free first half. Emi looked very frustrated when he came off,

Emi looks frustrated every time he loses the ball. Even last season, I wanted to see less arm waving and more trying to win the ball back. 

Hernandez was good, so for me it's him and Roberts to start in the wide positions v Liverpool. 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Whenever I saw Barrow last season, he looked ****. I guess playing against a tired defence made it easier for him, though. 

Gomez is a top class player who I like a lot, as is Ilicic, but the latter was completely invisible in the first half, which means we did something right.

He’s hit and miss, a bit like Traore at Wolves. Give him a tiring team and a bit of space to run into and he’s golden. 

Although I won't let allow myself to be concerned after a friendly, I do think we lack a couple of big, physical players, particularly in the middle of the park. 

Trybull, Leitner, Mclean, and Vrancic are all technically very good.. but they do get knocked off the ball easily and struggle to halt the opposition attacking at pace. We look extremely susceptible to the counter attack.  

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes, but we won't be playing Rotherham and Bolton this season.

indeed, that was the point I was trying to make, players need to keep their concentration levels up.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Emi looks frustrated every time he loses the ball. Even last season, I wanted to see less arm waving and more trying to win the ball back. 

Hernandez was good, so for me it's him and Roberts to start in the wide positions v Liverpool. 

I agree, I think they've shown their worth their pick

7 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

No Emi? Brave.

Yep, I think that’s the easiest starting line up I’ve ever had to pick (as a supporter, obviously!)

Emi was not at the races by his high standards at all. He clearly knew it too, as could be seen by his body language when he came off. But I’m not stupid, and know he’ll be a key player for us this season. However, on tonight’s showing, Cantwell stepped up to the plate and was absolutely magnificent. He gets the nod for me without hesitation.

I’m not too disheartened though, a solid 11 playing the bulk of 90 minutes won’t collapse like that often, we’ll be far better organised as per usual - of that I have no fear.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yep, agreed, surprising, but no player’s infallible. Emi will be a top player for us this season, so not worried in the slightest, we all know his quality 👍

Todd Cantwell can take a bow tonight - I thought he was exceptional and my MOTM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, agreed, surprising, but no player’s infallible. Emi will be a top player for us this season, so not worried in the slightest, we all know his quality 👍

Todd Cantwell can take a bow tonight - I thought he was exceptional and my MOTM.

Mine too.

• Like 1

Godfrey in particular and Klose looked good until Trybull and Byram went off. Perhaps Byram is better defensively than Aarons. McLean isn't a defensive midfielder. 

Fitness not quite there yet and the extra support will help. 

Todd was excellent and Adam Idah is a superb striker prospect. 

I still worry about the defence. Farke clearly likes to play short passing between the back four and the keeper, as well as bringing all players back for corners and free kicks. He appears to be sticking with that same tactic this season so hopefully we can cause enough problems going forward to keep the opposition away from our defence. It worked last season so fingers crossed it will again this season.

2 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Like it’s a friendly you mean?

whoa, better tell Farke, pronto!

A friendly so close to the start of the season. This was not an exhibition match for a kick about, but a test of how we will deal with top teams. I think Farke will be very disappointed.

Players should be close to match fit and playing for places at this stage of the season. 

Agree with all of those stating Todd was motm - was very impressed. 👍