Sign in to follow this  
Iwans teeth

Norwich City F.C. Reporter – Eastern Daily Press

Mr Bailey's job is up for offer if any of you budding journalist fancy a tickle . Mind you the salary is only 25000 I thought for some reason it would be a little higher  .

14 minutes ago, Iwans teeth said:

Mr Bailey's job is up for offer if any of you budding journalist fancy a tickle . Mind you the salary is only 25000 I thought for some reason it would be a little higher  .

That is a provincial print-media salary.

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is a provincial print-media salary.

I'd assume you'd get to all home and away games on expenses, that has to bump it up by a couple of thousand.

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I can certainly think of worse jobs/pay for a supporter!

Aye. It's considerably more than I was earning for the first ten years of my career.

Just now, ricardo said:

Civic duty 😀

Is that for when you dont feel like cycling.I have a Civic too Ricardo(o). Great motor, 23 years young it is. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Even if it includes all the travel expenses that salary is a shocker. 

Really? It only wants 1-2 years experience, will likely cover travel and is based in Norwich so I think £25k isn't hugely out of whack.

54 minutes ago, king canary said:

Really? It only wants 1-2 years experience, will likely cover travel and is based in Norwich so I think £25k isn't hugely out of whack.

Maybe I've been living down South too long! 

Yes, that salary is quite normal.

When I was a very young pup (about 19) I got a job at the EDP. It was just before it stopped being ECN and changed to Archant. I then worked there on and off for some time. However, in my first couple of years I was offered journalism work experience, as that is what I wanted to do with my life, initially. I enjoyed it, was taken under the wing of Stacia Briggs and Derek James who was still there at the time. However, I found it pretty difficult to write for other people when, until that point, I had been writing for myself really.

Anyway, after a few random vox pops things, a feature on the city hall clock, something about a wedding and a feature on a new music studio they offered me the opportunity to go on their journo training course (which I'm not sure they do anymore). I was working in sales and on about 17-18k basic. This job was going to offer me 12k! I couldn't take such a pay cut and I ended up continuing in sales.

I don't regret it, really, but I've been stuck with commercial roles ever since and sometimes would like to break free. But the reality is, you can make fairly decent money if you're alright at sales. It seems something like journalism only pays well if and when you start writing for nationals etc. It's a much more honourable job than what I do though! Haha...

Edited by BobLoz3

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Even if it includes all the travel expenses that salary is a shocker. 

It's pretty generous for a local sports writer. I've seen a lot lower offered requiring much more experience. Some papers will basically make an intern do all the things in that job description and pay them with 'experience'. 

12 hours ago, splendidrush said:

25k? No wonder Bailey is off ..... and Dave Freezer always wears the same shirt. 

This is a different role to what Bailey had.  They've promoted within and are bringing someone in at the bottom.

6 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yes, that salary is quite normal.

When I was a very young pup (about 19) I got a job at the EDP. It was just before it stopped being ECN and changed to Archant. I then worked there on and off for some time. However, in my first couple of years I was offered journalism work experience, as that is what I wanted to do with my life, initially. I enjoyed it, was taken under the wing of Stacia Briggs and Derek James who was still there at the time. However, I found it pretty difficult to write for other people when, until that point, I had been writing for myself really.

Anyway, after a few random vox pops things, a feature on the city hall clock, something about a wedding and a feature on a new music studio they offered me the opportunity to go on their journo training course (which I'm not sure they do anymore). I was working in sales and on about 17-18k basic. This job was going to offer me 12k! I couldn't take such a pay cut and I ended up continuing in sales.

I don't regret it, really, but I've been stuck with commercial roles ever since and sometimes would like to break free. But the reality is, you can make fairly decent money if you're alright at sales. It seems something like journalism only pays well if and when you start writing for nationals etc. It's a much more honourable job than what I do though! Haha...

I went into IT, the thought of a career in sales is enough to give me chills... 

On 31/07/2019 at 17:20, Canary Wundaboy said:

I went into IT, the thought of a career in sales is enough to give me chills... 

And it should be! 😂

Nah, I mean, it really depends on what you're doing. If I was working for our wonderful football club, for example, I'd relish the chance to work ont he commercial side for them. I work in drinks now and that's pretty fun too. But it can be stressful, that's for sure! Just depends how you deal with it.