Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Atalanta

I watched this team a couple of times last year. They were the surprise of Serie A in the end. Yet, their team appeared full of quick, tenacious and very skillful players throughout all departments who commit to wave after wave of attacks. Farke states this will be a test and I for one believe that. No walk in the park is this match. I wonder how we managed to set this game up? 

I see Liverpool were stung by a very decent Napoli side at the weekend. Interesting to see how we manage against even better competition.

Just now, sonyc said:

I watched this team a couple of times last year. They were the surprise of Serie A in the end. Yet, their team appeared full of quick, tenacious and very skillful players throughout all departments who commit to wave after wave of attacks. Farke states this will be a test and I for one believe that. No walk in the park is this match. I wonder how we managed to set this game up? 

I see Liverpool were stung by a very decent Napoli side at the weekend. Interesting to see how we manage against even better competition.

Let's not go overboard here. I like this Atalanta team a lot, but they still finished ten points behind Napoli and that will probably increase this season.

31 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Looking forward to this test, like Schalke. Unpredictable & unknown entity! Exactly what we are going to get in the prem this season

I get the impression that they like to play football, rather that than some lump and rush brigade from the Championship, or, God forbid, lower down 🤭 

A technical test is far more beneficial given the opposition that we are going to face this season, plus, hopefully we are less likely to pick the kind of agricultural injuries that McLean experienced last season. 

Can't help but think this is not going to be a huge test in terms of standard, more a test of fitness and trying out new ideas, assimilating players etc.   So in that way, while obviously a good warm up game, we shouldn't read into to it too much.

I would hope to see us dominate possession almost completely, give Drmic and Roberts a good go and make sure we don't give Atalanta anything. 0-0 or 1-0 would be a good result.

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Can't help but think this is not going to be a huge test in terms of standard, more a test of fitness and trying out new ideas, assimilating players etc.   So in that way, while obviously a good warm up game, we shouldn't read into to it too much.

I would hope to see us dominate possession almost completely, give Drmic and Roberts a good go and make sure we don't give Atalanta anything. 0-0 or 1-0 would be a good result.

Dominating possession seems unlikely, Atalanta were one of the best possession sides in Italy last year and like to have a lot of the ball themselves. With this being the penultimate friendly, Norwich should be beyond the trying ideas stage of preseason. I would hope to see Farke deploying what he considers to be his best XI for Liverpool today and at the weekend. 

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Looking forward to this test, like Schalke. Unpredictable & unknown entity! Exactly what we are going to get in the prem this season

Their season doesn't start for three and a half weeks, with two more friendlies after this, so are presumably behind us in terms of preparation and perhaps in how seriously they take the game.

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I know Bethnal has kinda already addressed this, but I think you're seriously underestimating a team who finished third in Serie A last season and will be playing in the Champions League this year. They're certainly on paper a better side than we are.

5 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Does anyone know whether its being streamed anywhere?

F33F24AC-97B6-4655-8422-86B5727A9EEB.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Dominating possession seems unlikely, Atalanta were one of the best possession sides in Italy last year and like to have a lot of the ball themselves. With this being the penultimate friendly, Norwich should be beyond the trying ideas stage of preseason. I would hope to see Farke deploying what he considers to be his best XI for Liverpool today and at the weekend. 

Can’t stand this conventional ‘fact-based’ thinking.

Don’t you lot realise, well-informed logic like that is actually in danger of crushing purely emotional, creative thinking out of the modern (literate) fanbase?

You may politely and unmaliciously tear apart what probably appears to you to be invented wishful nonsense from start to finish. However ... no doubt something will happen sooner or later which wasn’t explicitly predicted by you or the so-called experts. All I’m saying is enjoy your moment of ascendancy now... because you'll feel so foolish...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, GenerationA47 said:

Can’t stand this conventional ‘fact-based’ thinking.

Don’t you lot realise, well-informed logic like that is actually in danger of crushing purely emotional, creative thinking out of the modern (literate) fanbase?

You may politely and unmaliciously tear apart what probably appears to you to be invented wishful nonsense from start to finish. However ... no doubt something will happen sooner or later which wasn’t explicitly predicted by you or the so-called experts. All I’m saying is enjoy your moment of ascendancy now... because you'll feel so foolish...

I've read that post twice and I genuinely can't figure out whether it's sarcastic or not...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I know Bethnal has kinda already addressed this, but I think you're seriously underestimating a team who finished third in Serie A last season and will be playing in the Champions League this year. They're certainly on paper a better side than we are.

And another one... think about it... what’s paper worth really?

About £20-25 a ream.

What does that tell you about the role of passion at Norwich City Football Club? Exactly 

• Haha 1

I can guarantee anyone who underestimates Atalanta knows nothing about them, and clearly hasn’t watched them play. They are a wonderful footballing side, a far cry to the defensive Serie A teams of yesteryear. In many ways we actually share quite a few similarities with them.

Not just last season, but they’ve been a fantastic unit for a few years now. Their 3rd place finish has been threatening for a while now, so was of no surprise to me. Forget the weird Swansea result at the weekend, if we beat them then it’ll be our most impressive win of preseason. Can’t wait to see how we perform against a top Italian outfit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I can guarantee anyone who underestimates Atalanta knows nothing about them, and clearly hasn’t watched them play. They are a wonderful footballing side, a far cry to the defensive Serie A teams of yesteryear. In many ways we actually share quite a few similarities with them.

Not just last season, but they’ve been a fantastic unit for a few years now. Their 3rd place finish has been threatening for a while now, so was of no surprise to me. Forget the weird Swansea result at the weekend, if we beat them then it’ll be our most impressive win of preseason. Can’t wait to see how we perform against a top Italian outfit.

I'm looking forward too to see how we cope with them. Unless they are rusty I think we might see a very decent Atalanta team.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I'm looking forward too to see how we cope with them. Unless they are rusty I think we might see a very decent Atalanta team.

Any predictions sonyc 😀🤔 or maybe for the Anfield outing we have coming up 😆

• Haha 1

Haha ICF. To be honest I think I might take a 2-0 loss now. But I'm predicting us ending between 9th and 12th this year! 

Watching tonight we look the part and sharp. Disappointed so far with Atalanta.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Haha ICF. To be honest I think I might take a 2-0 loss now. But I'm predicting us ending between 9th and 12th this year! 

I’ll take that.

like the commentator said “that’s a pre-season friendly pass” 😯

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Well that caught out the Pink Un pundits good an ‘ proper :classic_mellow:

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

8 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yes I was on the money tonight. But it took Atalanta 45 minutes to get their act together Smithy.

11 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Without sounding smug, some of us did try to warn some people, Smithy! But to be fair, it can be argued the scoreline may well have been different had we both kept a more settled team - regardless, it’s a pre season friendly and after we win on Saturday, it’ll be forgotten about when the season kicks off in earnest. Let’s not get disheartened if we likely lose to Liverpool, but I won’t wrote us off, not with a solid organised 11 anyway.

We could have scored more and handed them their equaliser but it was obvious to me Atalanta gave us a valuable lesson in patience, sticking to your guns and not panicking. 

It was top level game management with a result more about using the full 90 minutes and seizing opportunity. 

Farke talked about being punished for minor lapses and it is demoralising to get nothing for playing well because top level football can be brutally clinical.