Bethnal Yellow and Green

For those who like a statistical way of looking at things.

I think they get this is about right (survival in the cluster just above relegation). It's possible that our players will continue to improve and push up into lower mid-table but for me, that depends on getting another DM in (as suggested in the analysis). Injuries will be another big factor, but our squad depth and quality will help us cope with those. I'd also feel more comfortable if we signed Rhodes, just in case Drmić's injury problems return. Srbeny could then concentrate on being an AM option.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The excellent Statsbomb have done their preview of Norwich for the upcoming season - it is generally fairly positive. They do suggest that Norwich might need a defensive midfielder, which has gone unnoticed on here so far.

https://statsbomb.com/2019/07/norwich-city-2019-20-season-preview/

Thanks BYG - a very interesting read. Especially interested in the comments about Roberts - be interested to see how he benefits under Farke and the extent to which he produces more - early signs look promising

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Nice article. Perhaps someone could recommend it to the Neanderthal reporters on TalkSport.

They can't read.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Nice article. Perhaps someone could recommend it to the Neanderthal reporters on TalkSport.

I don't think that they would understand it.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Some interesting tidbits there. It also seems to be of the belief that Fährmann should start ahead of Krul.

That isn't a huge shock. Krul was fine last season but by any analytical measure he was a solid but not spectacular championship keeper.

utter meaningless nonsense - suitable only for blokes called Traver or Colin who have mild Aspergers

for any statistics to have meaning they need to be set against some form of control

these don't as there are no means of factoring in the huge number of variables

or perhaps we can compare the goals and shots by Stieperman last season v the season before that

would either of Klose or Lewis have scored their late headers if we had not been losing ?

where can you factor in playing with 10 men away from home in the number of **** ie trying to keep possession, or losing with 10 men away so by using long passes to get the ball forward

horoscopes in a newspaper have more validity than this nonsense

Problem is Bill, people like...I dont know, our head coach for example? He would fundamentally disagree with you and want every single stat invented available to him if we could get it.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

utter meaningless nonsense - suitable only for blokes called Traver or Colin who have mild Aspergers

for any statistics to have meaning they need to be set against some form of control

or perhaps we can compare the goals and shots by Stieperman last season v the season before that

would either of Klose or Lewis have scored their late headers if we had not been losing ?

where can you factor in playing with 10 men away from home in the number of **** ie trying to keep possession, or losing with 10 men away so by using long passes to get the ball forward

Which is why professional football clubs spend 100s of thousands of pounds a season on collecting and analysing data. Which is why Farke can quote all the data from a game almost as soon as it is finished. You may feel it has no meaning, but those who work in football think it has a huge amount of significance.

7 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The excellent Statsbomb have done their preview of Norwich for the upcoming season - it is generally fairly positive. They do suggest that Norwich might need a defensive midfielder, which has gone unnoticed on here so far.

https://statsbomb.com/2019/07/norwich-city-2019-20-season-preview/

Thanks for posting this, interesting stuff. As for the defensive midfielder.....it has indeed not gone unnoticed.😀

I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone called Traver. Is this like Fight Club for stattos?

I don't normally study stats, I just like to watch the game and enjoy it for what it is, that doesn't mean that they have no value. 

Last season, westcoast (hope he's okay) insisted that we would finish 4th and used every stat available to show how we were inferior to Leeds..... how did that work out?

Ultimately, we have no control over who Farke picks or how the opposition set up to play us, for that reason I take stats with a pinch of salt. 

14 hours ago, Bill said:

We only decided to scout Emi because of his stats-so they are much more important than you think.

19 hours ago, Bill said:

Oh Billo, that is a very silly, unthoughthrough statement. This has to be the stupidest thing i've read for a while. If you recant, you won't look quite so daft. until you post again of course.

Stats such as these looking back are of course a guide - they show where we could improve (and hence change the predictions) and may identify otherwise unforeseen non-obvious issues. It's too easy otherwise both as manager (and supporters) I would guess to see and judge only what you want to see and judge - hence the various 'opinions' often at odds with bald cold facts on here. 

Those that think they accurately predict the season ahead though don't understand what they really for which is to improve!

The 92/93 season is the obvious example on a recent post.  

Bill doesnt come back to threads very often when he realises he's been an idiot, does he?

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bill doesnt come back to threads very often when he realises he's been an idiot, does he?

But that would limit him to one post per thread, Happy days Hogo.

• Like 1

Where did the stats say we would finish last season? 

I'm not agreeing with Bill BTW, more what Yellow Fever says.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Stats, like technology, are there.

Let's use them.

We have common ground Broado

Tell Webber stats are worthless lol, if he believes you Bill he will have to admit that Pukki and Emi should never have been considered. He would also have to sack Farke for using these stats to pick his teams.