Having a quick look at their league results last season, at home they dropped points in only 2 games, drawing vs Man City and Leicester.  And had 17 home wins.

So a point would be massive indeed !

But I agree this is a good game to start the season.  If we put in a half-way decent performance, that's a good start to the season even if we lose.  If we get badly beaten, ok, we learn and move on but I'm sure Farke will be able to manage that with the team so it doesn't hit morale and we will probably learn some key lessons that we'll need to survive.  A point would be amazing, a win would certainly be one of the shocks of the entire season.

It's helpful that their pre-season is not ideal and there's a chance of catching them cold in the first game, but being honest, this Liverpool side should be able to beat City at home regardless of all those sorts of factors, so I'm not getting my hopes up. But at the same time, I have a feeling this City team are going to pull off a few surprises this season and what better place !!

I remember under Lambert going to Man City, I think we went 3 goals down but then got 1 back and were going for it when we left ourselves a bit open and conceded another couple to lose 5-1.  We gave it a good shot and it wasn't a game or a result that undermined our morale.  The same sort of thing would not be a problem here, although of course I hope for more !

• Like 1

The perfect start to the season.

Playing the European Champions at their fabled Anfield home in front of millions worldwide watching it all on their screens in bars, homes, offices, on the high seas and in the heart of jungles.

What better advert for our club. Get a result and the world-re-known status of even the mighty ITFC will be threatened in the quest for East Anglia dominance.

Will we finally manage to get out of their shadow? 😉

(Sat. 3pm. August 3rd.Burton Albion v Ipswich Town.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think the answer was clear...they can't handle playing on a rugby pitch. Move the return game to North Walsham and we'll smash them. 🏉👍😂

Apples

Edited by Mr Apples

19 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

It’s the use of unnecessary jargon in an attempt to sound clever.

I had a different sort of reverse overload with a girl once, very messy

Well, actually it's an ex coach using language from his profession. Who'd have thought it..

Liverpool weaknesses, none really as they have got to consecutive CL finals...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Exactly right! Also I think we dominated teams so comprehensively last season that we didn't bother enough about conceding daft goals. I think we'll have a different attitude in the PL.

The way we've played against PL teams in the cup games gives me hope that we can raise our level against the top teams. It won't always work but we're only targeting 38-40 points to survive. If we play like we can and the new players add to that, we should get enough points.

Liverpool's biggest weakness will be celebrating with the Champions League Trophy with all the fans who couldn't get a ticket for the final. 

If Kenny was playing for them, he'd be wearing a silly hat and carrying a bottle of the hard stuff. 

I hope they underestimate us, I really do. 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2019 at 17:03, BroadstairsR said:

Fatigue might be their biggest weakness after their gruelling pre-season:

Not one fixture at Anfield, instead a lot of commercially biased stuff.

Pre-season to clubs like Liverpool seems to have turned into a money making enterprise rather than an exercise to prepare for the season ahead.

Not taking away from your initial point, but we didn't play a friendly at Carra before last season started either.

The ground at Anfield isn't going to be ready until early Aug. So... that's why they're not playing any friendlies there.