Sign in to follow this  
CANARY BRAVEHEART

4-3-3 DID ALRIGHT BUT NORWICH PERHAPS SLIGHTY LUCKY

Now given the fact that there''s been so much talk of Ashton leaving in the January transfer window I thought it would be nice to look at other aspects of Norwich''s game and so i''ve chosen the formation as a topic, given the way Norwich performed today against Leicester in the first half.

4-3-3 didn''t work as well as it has been today when Norwich played Leicester today even though we won the match, we were getting out numbered in midfield which is why Leicester had so much space out wide to create chances which they almost scored from. Even NEIL ADAMS in the commentary mentioned it but Leicesters wingers were failing to produce the final ball which had it of been good enough may have caught Norwich out but thankfully the quality of there side wasn''t good enough to trouble Fleming and Doherty. From my point of view I think Norwich should of switched back to 4-4-2 to stop Leicester creating so many chances out wide. I wouldn''t have minded seeing Jim Brennan come on given that he was on the bench, plus the fact that he would of been ideal to stop Leicester''s threat down the Right side.

Upfront I''d probably of stuck with McVeigh and Ashton. Dickson Etuhu and Safri in central midfield with Brennan on the left and Huckerby on the right, that maybe would be the best Worthington could do in my opinion with Huckerby in a 4-4-2 given the fact that he is the only proper winger at the club, in order to accomodate Brennan or Charlton, Brennan or Charlton should of played on the left side in my opinion.

My MAN OF THE MATCH goes to GARY DOHERTY absolutely outstanding  in keeping the Leicester STRIKERS AT BAY, didn''t think that Fleming did as well due to his injury. The young lad Rossi Jarvis did an excellent job coming on for Jurgen Colin as I personally felt he had a poor game out there today.

But still Norwich got the win and the Saints go marching on. 1 point off the play-offs should Norwich keep up the hard work then there''s every hope we''ll be in the mix at the end of the season.

ON THE BALL CITY

BELIEF IT''S AN AMAZING THING

The problem that would have come about by playing the 4-4-2 is having Hucks on the right. He''s finally starting to show the form he''s maybe been lacking this season and causing the problems for defences on the left. Whenever he plays on the right he just doesn''t seem to be so effective and although on paper it would have been a stronger looking formation Hucks doesn''t tackle back so it would still have effectively been a 4-3-3 on with Huckerby in his unfavoured position on the right. I think once we sign a true right winger can we go back to 4-4-2 but as we lack that the 4-3-3 is the way to go even when we''re a little weak in midfield like today.

Judging from the commentary, I''d agree with you about the formation. We were just lucky on a couple of occasions that the Leicester strikers had the old cow''s arse/banjo quandary. But who to play wide in 4-4-2 is the problem. Charlton put in a blinding cross yesterday, but we couldn''t expect him to beat players and go haring down the wing, McVeigh''s too valuable in the centre, Huckerby ditto. That leaves Robinson, Henderson and Brennan, none of them too promising in that position. Basically we need to get two wide men in the January sales. We''re riding our luck a little.