11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Can't see the initial TC without thinking of Top Cat (60s/70s cartoon series for the uninitiated). Mind you if Todd develops into the kind of player we want him to, then that would be a good description for him.

Glad it wasn't just me 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I entirely agree that we should be able to make criticisms of a players performance without criticism but it is in my view inconceivable that anyone who went to the game at Luton would genuinely have the view of Cantwells performance out forward by Jobsworth Canary above. He was noticeably prominent and up for it and played very well. 

I was quite vocal in my view that Cantwell should not have been starting last season ahead of Vrancic or Leitner when Buendia was out, not because he did anything particularly bad but just because I thought we needed the extra control/passing ability those players bring. 

Yeah it is inconceivable until you remember it's waveney and this what he does. Sooner everyone just puts him on block the better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah it is inconceivable until you remember it's waveney and this what he does. Sooner everyone just puts him on block the better.

100%. I've blocked all his accounts (as it seems the moderator is happy to let him to have multiple accounts and even have conversations with himself on the same thread). Don't give him the attention he craves, just stick him on block and let him talk sh*te to himself.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Ah I didn't realise that!

Just as a general feature of our play on Saturday it was noticeable how not only Cantwell but also Mclean were getting forward and making runs ahead of Stiepermann and Drmic quite regularly. Perhaps something Farke is working on or perhaps alternatively indicative of us adjusting our style a bit to reflect the fact that Roberts likes to drop off to pick up the ball but also Drmic doesn't make the kind of in behind the centre back runs that Pukki does, he seems to prefer to come to the ball and hold it up or move it on. 

1 hour ago, Woodman said:

https://twitter.com/fin131/status/1155449061941612544

not sure if the video will display, but Todd is instrumental to pretty much everything that creates this goal.

The limited highlights from Saturday that I have seen suggest that, far from being poor, Cantwell has progressed well over the Summer. In racing they always used to say that improving 3 y.o. horses were always worth a bet when starting to race in the 4 y.o.category. They improve a lot.

Similarly, young footballers like TC can come on leaps and bounds during the recess.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Vazzza said:

Glad it wasn't just me 😀

Or me.

The indisputable leader of the gang. 

The problem with the highlights, it is just that the highlights

if we had lowlights, powder puff shots on goal, passes going astray and pulling out of the tackle then you would get a more rounded view of his performance 

the other youngsters Roberts was superb, just behind him I thought  Max and Jamal played very very well.

we have some truly wonderful youngsters many in fact, just because Cantwell comes from Dereham doesn’t make him in the same league as  Emi or Roberts as attackers and they are the benchmark in our team.

he is also in my opinion behind Onel, Mario and Leitner in the attacking section of the team

there are many fans looking at him with Rose tinted glasses just because he is local. You need to have balance in your assessment of our players 

Edited by Jobsworth Canary

Daniel Farke picked Todd as one of the top three players on the day as a "top class performance". His control and vision for goals 2&4 had premiership  quality written all over them.

2 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Daniel Farke picked Todd as one of the top three players on the day as a "top class performance". His control and vision for goals 2&4 had premiership  quality written all over them.

....and it had nothing to do with him being 'local'

5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:
8 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

....and it had nothing to do with him being 'local'

Yeah, I think people have to look past this "local" tag and just treat him as any player.  It's great he is from Norfolk, but he is a top young player full of potential in his own right, regardless of where he comes from.

Edited by lake district canary

10 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

We are not going to agree on our assessment of his skills, there is no point going round and round in a circle on this one. So I will stop commenting 

i haven’t  heard anything that changes my entrenched view on him

10 hours ago, curious yellow said:

10 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

We are not going to agree on our assessment of his skills, there is no point going round and round in a circle on this one. So I will stop commenting 

That's your choice of course, but for now I'll go with DF's assessment. 

On 29/07/2019 at 11:53, Jobsworth Canary said:

No assessment on last nights performance? Shocker!

• Like 1

I thought TC looked a different player last night - strong, full of ideas and full of confidence - and importantly for him - composure in front of goal.  It's amazing the difference a few weeks off can do in players' development. After last night I am thinking he could be one of the first names on the teamsheet this season.

50 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

NB. Jobo uses the word entrenched, there is no point discussing anything with someone who self admittedly has entrenched views.

waste of time.

• Haha 1

Cantwell was always building and learning from players who held the number 10 position, Pritchard, Maddison and Wes.

He is competition for Marco and I would say very serious threat to Marco. There is great balance with Cantwell, poise, silky runner and a good first touch.

Marco is sometimes fortuitous and does not have the touch/ poise of Cantwell. Which will be needed as things a lot quicker in the premier League, maybe Cantwells train of thought will allow him to play at a higher level than Marco.

We will see, but he is best in that position and gives Marco strong competition.

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I wasn’t going to point out the screaming obvious start with Cantwell and you fail to win 

when he replaced Emi when he got sent off for those 3 games we didn’t win a game

The common denominator being Cantwell 

but as usual as he is from Dereham this is over looked 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I wasn’t going to point out the screaming obvious start with Cantwell and you fail to win 

when he replaced Emi when he got sent off for those 3 games we didn’t win a game

Cantwell vs Reading, all makes sense now....

44 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Last season with Cantwell starting:

P18, W9, D7, L2. 

Dreadful record.

36 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

If you analyse the team setup closely you will realise that it was not Cantwell that was the common denominator. Cantwell came in as a wide midfielder/winger. The balance of the team was decimated when both Leitner & Vrancic were injured - position - playmaker. But because we had momentum and so many quality players in the team, this weakness wasn't noticeable until one of our linchpins Buendia was out. Cantwell coming in didn't perform that badly. I'm not just saying this because he's a local lad - he proved that last night.

20 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

You off the Meds again Wolfie? 

Overdosed on yours again Jobo? Driven to overindulgence  by Todd's excellent performance and cooly  taken goal? Jog on Jobo.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Overdosed on yours again Jobo? Driven to overindulgence  by Todd's excellent performance and cooly  taken goal? Jog on Jobo.

Oh, so he's poking fun at my mental health condition again. Classy guy.

As many of you will know from previous discussions, I'm proud to be a spokesperson for mental health issues, and proud to be a fundraiser for Mind. Always best to get it out in the open and talk about it, I'm sure we all know someone who has suffered/is suffering... 💪🏼

• Like 4