Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Grant Holt Interview

Got to love this guy, in all my years of supporting Norwich I can’t think of many that I have favoured more than Holty.

He was everything that a stereotypical top flight footballer shouldn’t have been but boy did he use that to his advantage.

Had the pleasure of meeting him also, top top guy and so pleased he’s still involved in the club as our younger ones can learn an awful lot about life from him.

The 2nd highest scoring English striker in the PL 11/12 and not picked for any England squad. Pathetic and shameful from Hodgson.

A legend. What a period of time that was being a city fan. Here’s hoping for even better with our journey into the PL this time.

• Like 1

I was also very frustrated that he didn't get the England call up that season, but I think they were genuinely concerned that he'd be too 'rough' for International football and be too likely to get carded for the way he played the game.

I'll never forgive Hodgson for leaving him behind, scored 17 that season and was overlooked in favour of Carroll who'd spent most of the season on the bench and managed 5 goals. 

Perhaps Hodgson felt that he owed his former Club a few favours, when Glen Johnson couldn't travel it appeared that the second best right back in England was Johnson's understudy, another who'd hardly played, any wonder why it was an unmitigated disaster. 

• Like 1

I remember seeing that Gary Neville, England assistant at the time, said it was because that any player called up would need to have a future with the England team and they decided that at 31, Holt wouldn't really have much of a future in the setup. Bearing in mind that he was a lower-league journeyman who had just had his first season in the top flight and was probably just a flash in the pan, you can understand the logic.

Did Holt deserve a call-up? Yes. But do I see where Neville was coming from? I did, yes. But when Rickie Lambert, a 31-year-old, lower-league journeyman who had just had his first season in the top flight and was probably just a flash in the pan received a call up just one year later under the same coaches, Neville's comments lost all credibility.

• Like 2