51 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

it looks like a collection of Journos that have been enticed away from some serious papers like Hay from YEP , Amy Lawrence etc who would have enjoyed access because of their national or regional employment . I wonder if MB will enjoy so much access. It’s in NCFC’s interest to have their connection with the local papers , but will the club be so bothered about him now? Presume these guys are all getting paid more? Not sure I can see this model working . Will MB get a scoop the Paddy doesn’t ? Doubt it . 

I really don't think that is what they are aiming for. They aren't marketing themselves as the place for scoops or similar- they are marketing themselves as the place for in depth reporting and analysis.

Also the journo who previously got most Norwich 'scoops' was nothing to do with Archant and worked for the Press Association.

• Thanks 1

I wish MB all the best in his new venture, but I won't be subscribing. With the internet the commonplace for latest news for free, I've no doubt in MBs content being quality, but I can read and get the same insights elsewhere for free. And let's face it, most of the breaking news content on the pinkun was here on the forums before becoming a story on the homepage. 

Outlets that charge must have a hardcore niche fanbase with them to succeed. The times does it, autosport does it and it'll be interesting to see how The Athletic does with it. I'll stick to Twitter and the Pinkun though, no need to spend any extra pennies for the same stuff. 

David Freezer is a pretty poor replacement for Michael Bailey - doesn't know the game, even worse wouldn't know a "good" player from a "bad" one. Never read his material. Paddy's pretty good.

1 hour ago, Six Pack said:

David Freezer is a pretty poor replacement for Michael Bailey - doesn't know the game, even worse wouldn't know a "good" player from a "bad" one. Never read his material. Paddy's pretty good.

If you haven't read his material how do you know ? David Freezer is fine as a reporter and someone who will develop as he moves forwards in the job. 

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If you haven't read his material how do you know ? David Freezer is fine as a reporter and someone who will develop as he moves forwards in the job. 

I'll rephrase - I've stopped reading after sampling his earlier work

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Maybe he is a fine reporter, but on the subject of football which is his primary job - he is not.

7 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Maybe he is a fine reporter, but on the subject of football which is his primary job - he is not.

He hasn't had much chance to be the main reporter yet so how about giving him the chance to show what he can do before rubbishing him. Or is it like football where because someone hasn't been on the pitch they can't be any good.......

No I don't judge players until they've played a lengthy time for us.

Reporting and what to report - you've either got it or not - that's my opinion

11 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

it looks like a collection of Journos that have been enticed away from some serious papers like Hay from YEP , Amy Lawrence etc who would have enjoyed access because of their national or regional employment . I wonder if MB will enjoy so much access. It’s in NCFC’s interest to have their connection with the local papers , but will the club be so bothered about him now? Presume these guys are all getting paid more? Not sure I can see this model working . Will MB get a scoop the Paddy doesn’t ? Doubt it . 

Through their membership of the SJA, all should get equal access. 

21 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

....Will MB get a scoop the Paddy doesn’t ? Doubt it . 

Well not a scoop as much, but I see The PinkUn have just published a story based on an interview of Delia and MWJ by Michael Bailey in The Athletic.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, capricorn1 said:

Well not a scoop as much, but I see The PinkUn have just published a story based on an interview of Delia and MWJ by Michael Bailey in The Athletic.  

Just seen that too and raised an eyebrow. Some media type could probably tell us direct quotes can be reprinted but that’s it? There’s lots of other stuff in the MB article, though this was the only ‘new’ news pulled out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Will MB get a scoop the Paddy doesn’t ? Doubt it . 

As it goes, MB had his finger on the pulse and confirmed the Amadou signing on the athletic Q&A mid morning

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

As it goes, MB had his finger on the pulse and confirmed the Amadou signing on the athletic Q&A mid morning

About an hour after it was on here?!

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

About an hour after it was on here?!

Reposted the MB confirmation from Athletic on here, yes. Lots of rampant speculation on here until it’s confirmed by club or journo!

2 hours ago, capricorn1 said:

Michael was invited to Delia & Michael's home to do the interview for The Athletic, they obviously like him to give him that kind of access

32 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Reposted the MB confirmation from Athletic on here, yes. Lots of rampant speculation on here until it’s confirmed by club or journo!

It was all over Twitter yesterday, reported in respected spanish media before #ncfc fans tracked the private plane seen in Amadou's morning Instagram all the way too Norwich airport, was both spot on and absolutely hilarious 😂

But MB and the Athletic were definitely way off the pace on that breaking news, sorry pal.

5 minutes ago, Norwich R Us said:

It was all over Twitter yesterday, reported in respected spanish media before #ncfc fans tracked the private plane seen in Amadou's morning Instagram all the way too Norwich airport, was both spot on and absolutely hilarious 😂

But MB and the Athletic were definitely way off the pace on that breaking news, sorry pal.

Forgive me for not believing twitter pal! The ACM rumours were all over twitter too. As I said, he confirmed first.

Given the chief of the Athletic has basically intimated in an interview  that their strategy is to wipe out the local press I will stick with Archant thanks. They are not perfect but they employ local people.

neither Archant nor Bailey have broken anything NCFC related that wasn’t known amongst fans beforehand for a long time. They get a bit more now when Webber feeds them stuff but even so they don’t really ever “break” exclusive stories.

True - most stuff comes from Nixon or Ma****ter, Archant does seem to be used by the club to quell (false) rumours that are getting a bit too ‘big’.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Given the chief of the Athletic has basically intimated in an interview  that their strategy is to wipe out the local press I will stick with Archant thanks. They are not perfect but they employ local people.

So do The Athletic, Michael lives in Norwich 😀

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

neither Archant nor Bailey have broken anything NCFC related that wasn’t known amongst fans beforehand for a long time. They get a bit more now when Webber feeds them stuff but even so they don’t really ever “break” exclusive stories.

Having signed up to The Atlantic, so far disappointed - the Android app simply doesn't work properly. In addition, MB has put out a couple of solid articles, but the love in on Twitter about them is a bit much. You would think the Pulitzer Prize is imminent based on what is a fairly uninteresting interview with Delia and Michael.

That said, am looking forward to seeing how the content expands over the coming season, but also how Archant respond. For my money, the Pink Un is always going to be the paper for the locals which has the loyalty of the fans - interesting to see if the Atlantic gives the club more global exposure. 

I've noted the Athletic have signed up Michael Cox as well.  His review of football finances are the most in depth of any journo, so probably worth the subscription alone as I shall miss the free access to these.

On 07/08/2019 at 07:41, Six Pack said:

Indeed the quality of his writings are embarrassing 

cut and paste jobs and stating the screamingly obvious 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I've noted the Athletic have signed up Michael Cox as well.  His review of football finances are the most in depth of any journo, so probably worth the subscription alone as I shall miss the free access to these.

He's one that caught my eye too. Haven't read his latest book yet but really enjoyed 'The Mixer'. As it doesn't look like the Athletic are doing traditional match reports I'm looking forward to more analysis from him.