1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I was supposed to go to the lunch club in the city today (networking event) but couldnt make time.

Bigging yourself up yet again hoggy.

• Like 2

I always thought MB was a reporter first and a fan second - though towards the end of last season there was a clear conflict (unsurprisingly).

I wish him every success in his career and hope he ends up back at NCFC in the future.  I don't know him at all but he came across as a very personable and likeable fellow.

Shame. I always liked him. Big shoes to fill.

Agreed that selling his soul is harsh. I left Norfolk to move to Yorkshire for a pay-rise and more responsibility, I'd be annoyed at the suggestion that I sold my soul.  He's doing what's best for him and his family, good for him. However, I would never, ever, pay a subscription for a football report.

41 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Christ I hope it’s not Chris or Jack taking over . 

Jack has just moved to London & has started a new job there

As an exile his reports were a must watch and his easy nature with people and his passion for the club and it's fans shone through everything.  Very human and poigniant too, with his family events interweaving with the football last season.

Don't really understand what he's moved to, but for me his future is very bright as a TV reporter or sports presenter and will follow his career with interest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Bigging yourself up yet again hoggy.

What the **** is your actual problem?

I have a fairly high tolerance when it comes to idiots but as an old man retired from the police you should really know better.

I have zero interest in your pathetic online feuds and the little snipes from you are unnecessary and have gone on long enough.

I suggest you block me and I'll do the same. Alternatively, meet me for a pint before a home match next season and you can vent all the problems you have with me in person instead of dragging it into half the threads I post on.

Ta. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a fairly high tolerance when it comes to idiots but as an old man retired from the police you should really know better.

I have zero interest in your pathetic online feuds and the little snipes from you are unnecessary and have gone on long enough.

I suggest you block me and I'll do the same. Alternatively, meet me for a pint before a home match next season and you can vent all the problems you have with me in person instead of dragging it into half the threads I post on.

Ta. 😊

Ta. 😊

Careful Hoggy, once a copper, always a copper. 

• Like 1

Good. A guy that's dull as dishwater, glad to see him go. Should open the door for a young, creative journo with an actual personality and a real understanding of modern online media.

6 hours ago, Norwich R Us said:

Good. A guy that's dull as dishwater, glad to see him go. Should open the door for a young, creative journo with an actual personality and a real understanding of modern online media.

What a load of tosh these comments are

I used to work at Archant and know Michael quite well. He's an absolute gent, and will be a huge loss to the Pinkun, as demonstrated by the various media awards he's won. I have concerns about how successful the Athletic will be as a subscription model, but to accuse him of 'selling his soul' is just churlish. He's an excellent journalist, who has been given the opportunity to sign for a bigger and better organisation. He's got a young family to provide for, and really it's no different to a talented young footballer such as Maddison who moves on to bigger and better things. Good luck Michael, I'm sure you'll smash it.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Does anyone know why he's been given it and not Paddy? 

That’s a very fair question . Freezers ok but very wooden reporting live .

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Does anyone know why he's been given it and not Paddy? 

Because Paddy is Group Football Editor.

15 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Brash American outfit steam-rollering in.They sound a pretty charmless bunch don't they ?

As with every line of work money talks but I hope that MB and all the other journos leaping on the bandwagon won't regret selling their soul for a few extra shillings.

Agreed, especially as I read that this is a subscription service. 

1- good for MB

2- the idea that American sports journalism is 'wham bam' is a nonsense. Lots of American writers do amazing work.

3- I want the Athletic to succeed. Only sports journalism in this country is quite frankly pretty pathetic. It's either hugely partizan 'fan TV' type stuff or SEO packed listicles about the big six. You only have to see the direction football365 has had to go to survive for an example. People need to understand that if you want proper high quality journalism then you're going to have to pay for it.

4- Those who constantly moan about how ignored Norwich are by the main stream media should be delighted a site making the splash the Athletic is have decided they want a Norwich City beat writer. It shows a commitment to covering football all over the country that should be applauded.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

1- good for MB

2- the idea that American sports journalism is 'wham bam' is a nonsense. Lots of American writers do amazing work.

3- I want the Athletic to succeed. Only sports journalism in this country is quite frankly pretty pathetic. It's either hugely partizan 'fan TV' type stuff or SEO packed listicles about the big six. You only have to see the direction football365 has had to go to survive for an example. People need to understand that if you want proper high quality journalism then you're going to have to pay for it.

4- Those who constantly moan about how ignored Norwich are by the main stream media should be delighted a site making the splash the Athletic is have decided they want a Norwich City beat writer. It shows a commitment to covering football all over the country that should be applauded.

I've downloaded the Athletic app, and you can get some content for free. I'm a big Boston Red Sox fan, and some of the content I've read on there about the Sox is outstanding. Really in-depth, intelligent writing.

I've had a bit of flak on here about my feelings on this.

Want to make it clear that I think MB is a great bloke, Norwich through and through, who has been a star at Archant. I'll very much miss his contributions. I've got nothing against him wanting to better himself and he does have a family to support.

I hope he makes a success of it but I think it may be a mistake. That's all.

If I want to read intelligent writing about sport, and pay a small amount for the privilege, I buy a newspaper. I also get global and UK news, thoughtful comment pieces, financial news and lighter stuff like fashion,, food, film, TV and music reviews... Old school I know, but for a couple of quid I don't think it can be bettered. Online subscriptions are also available for those millennial types.

P.S. I'm not talking about The Sport.

49 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I've had a bit of flak on here about my feelings on this.

Want to make it clear that I think MB is a great bloke, Norwich through and through, who has been a star at Archant. I'll very much miss his contributions. I've got nothing against him wanting to better himself and he does have a family to support.

I hope he makes a success of it but I think it may be a mistake. That's all.

Wording is important.

Huge difference between 'not sure he's taken the right job' and 'sold his soul for a few extra shillings'

Are people not jumping the gun that MB is joining the Athletic? Is some sort of PR role at Carrow Road, as suggested earlier in the thread, also not a possibility? (OK, so there's every chance he is going to this new website, but it seems a bit premature to have this nailed as fact, unless it's actually been announced.)