Yes totally agree.

He's spent 12 years at Archant and did a great job reporting on all things Canary. I particularly liked his after match videos.

Thanks for everything Michael. You say you'll be going too far away so you haven't slipped into Joe Ferrari's old shoes ? 😉

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The best of them all by a mile. 

Agree with this. His twitter feed has been invaluable at times and his reporting has been a mixture of great/distressing because of his honesty.

Good luck Michael.

What a shame (for us), his excellent reports are part of our daily life. Those will be some big boots to fill, best of luck to him.

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

We’ll still be able to get his Norwich reports once he goes to the Athletic - will just have to pay for them. 

What is “ the Athletic “ ?

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Brash American outfit steam-rollering in.They sound a pretty charmless bunch don't they ?

As with every line of work money talks but I hope that MB and all the other journos leaping on the bandwagon won't regret selling their soul for a few extra shillings.

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

Do you think it will work? Are there enough must read sports journalists that will tempt people to subscribe to it?

I’m doubtful and certainly won’t - I just want a match report, could be pretty much written by anyone so long as it tells me what’s happened (and they often don’t).

9 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Brash American outfit steam-rollering in.They sound a pretty charmless bunch don't they ?

As with every line of work money talks but I hope that MB and all the other journos leaping on the bandwagon won't regret selling their soul for a few extra shillings.

‘Selling their souls’? That seems very harsh. 

It is a great career opportunity for them and The Athletic are trying something exciting. 

American fans are us to paying for content and there are a lot of Premier League fans already in America so they have an established customer base. I can see it being slow going in England at first, but hiring good local writers is a smart move. 

I was supposed to go to the lunch club in the city today (networking event) but couldnt make time. MB was supposed to be speaking at that today. Anybody go? Anything interesting he had to say?

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Dave Freezer to take the hot seat ? 

As a sports journalist he is truly awful his only skill is cut and past other people’s storylines 

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m doubtful and certainly won’t - I just want a match report, could be pretty much written by anyone so long as it tells me what’s happened (and they often don’t).

Similar to myself and some of the reports we get on here, whether from Ricardo or lads on away trips,are very good, all for free.

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

‘Selling their souls’? That seems very harsh. 

It is a great career opportunity for them and The Athletic are trying something exciting. 

American fans are us to paying for content and there are a lot of Premier League fans already in America so they have an established customer base. I can see it being slow going in England at first, but hiring good local writers is a smart move. 

I don't think it's harsh at all.

MB and even more well respected journos from established quality British newspapers are going to have to get used to the ' American Way ' pretty damn quick. This ' wam bam ' approach goes totally against the grain for those signing up. Will the lure of a higher salary and all the other enticements make up for it ? I don't blame them for giving it a go but I think some will find it too hard to adjust.

£40 or so subscription ? Good luck with that.

Just now, ......and Smith must score. said:

I don't think it's harsh at all.

MB and even more well respected journos from established quality British newspapers are going to have to get used to the ' American Way ' pretty damn quick. This ' wam bam ' approach goes totally against the grain for those signing up. Will the lure of a higher salary and all the other enticements make up for it ? I don't blame them for giving it a go but I think some will find it too hard to adjust.

£40 or so subscription ? Good luck with that.

I’ve worked for American publications before and not found them much different to British ones to be honest. 

It’s an American company but the editor is British and they usually control the atmosphere of the news room, so think it will be fine. 

I think saying someone who is moving jobs is ‘selling their soul’ is pretty ludicrous to be honest and it isn’t like there is job security at any media company these days. Have you not ever changed job for a pay rise before?

More and more people are paying subscriptions for news these days - whether the Atheltic’s move into football will pay off is to be seen but they are certainly getting the best writers around. The power of good sports writers has always been recognised by papers, the Times paid a lot of money to get Henry Winter out of his contract at the Telegraph knowing he’d bring a lot of readers with him. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Can Ricardo do it on film ? 

He does it on a bike.

It's a shame to see him to go- even though it's 'only' 12 years I can't actually remember Archant without him as a leading journalist. His video work is excellent and will be truly missed, as I think he's better at that than he is at written journalism to be honest... I think Paddy Davitt is a better writer but Bailey's video reports were generally the thing I was most interested in on the Pinkun on matchday.

Hopefully he goes on to have a good career at The Athletic or whatever he does in the future.

• Like 1

Real shame. Him and Paddy are superb. Way too good pundits and journalists to for their jobs so I can understand Bailey wanting to move on but it's a loss for us who follow the Pink Un content.

Good on him. Not only is he an excellent writer but he has so many other strings with his video content, event hosting and such that he could surely turn his hand to virtually any media role. He’s seen an opportunity and gone for it, I hope it works out and he uses it as a platform to progress even further. 

• Like 3