Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

what do people think about worthy's public dissing of players

it seems strange to me that most managers worth their salt will not publicly critisise players.  Although our manager does this week in week out at the moment to possibly the players who have actually helped in the turnaround.  he seems to be picking out certain players for weekly public humiliations in the press even after good performances??

it does feel good to be in the top half of the table - lets hope its not just a blip eh [;)]

Worthington is just trying to keep feet firmly on the ground. he took a long time to criticise when things were poorly.

Anyway, if Hucks or any other big jessies can''t take a bit of stick they can always go and see the shrink.

''Now then, now then, what did that nasty manager say about you this time. There, there.''

Our players need their muscles massaging with so many games in such a short time, not their egos.

Until recently I never heard Worthy criticise his players much, and he got alot of flak from certain quarters about that behaviour!!!!Give the guy a break!OTBC!Chunky

i wouldnt call it humiliation. The latest two have been Huckerby and McVeigh.

Firstly, McVeigh has for a long time been quite inconsistent. Worthington knows this but by stating it in public, McVeigh will be under a slight pressure to prove to everybody he can do what worthington is saying. The same thing with Huckerby

I was much more worried about his comments "I do not like flicks in football" because it says much more about his style of play work ethic, work ethic, work ethic. I am still not convinced he is the right person to manage our club and fear that if we do return to the premiership we could still go all season without an away win. 

[quote user="ridgeman"]I was much more worried about his comments "I do not like flicks in football" because it says much more about his style of play work ethic, work ethic, work ethic. I am still not convinced he is the right person to manage our club and fear that if we do return to the premiership we could still go all season without an away win. [/quote]

Good point there. Its the flicks and tricks of WLY, hucks and Ashton that are a part of their success going forward recently.

i couldnt believe it when he slagged Charlton - our man of the match off......

i mean, come on, whats that say for the rest of our players? [:S]

imo worthy could be under pressure from within the club because of what has come out of the shrink sessions. since the geru has come in, the team has won 4 on the bounce which relieves the ''worthy out'' pressure he was facing, but in another way it has exposed him to questioning over his ability to motivate the players properly - why were the players underperforming previously?if from the group and one on one motivational sessions a picture is emerging  that points to a problem with worthy - he may be a bit isolated within the club or may even be promoting this himself to create distance from the players - as in ''i''m the boss.''  So rather than looking at his formation, tactics and his decision making, he''s pointing the fingers at players instead - especially where he feels players haven''t produced the right work rate or played to his instructions.etc.it seems to me that worthy''s philosophy is to prove himself through creating a challenge and then working hard to achieve it -  but there''s more than one way to skin a cat - and i think some of the flair players at the club may well be deciding to play to their strengths rather than how worthy wants it.

He was right to do so, there were countless times last night when Hucks went it alone rather than choosing an easier option. You can do your little flicks when you''re 4-0 up, remember Happy Clapper doing it in the Sheff Weds game, look what happened there

I don''t think you''re too far off track there Lucky.   Obviously the motivational sessions have had a massive impact on the team - not only on the players but on the manager as well who is finally coming off the "didn''t we all do well - shame about shipping all those goals though" attitude that he has had over the last 12 months.

He''s the manager, it''s his job to be critical and if he can get the results by motivating his players in this way then all well and good to him.   It''s good to see he''s finally got the balls to actually criticise performances....

i didnt see the critisism of performances working too much earlier in the season.

As for the not liking flicks.. this is the sort of stuff that can actually break down teams when you are having a large amount of possesion - ok so not all of them are going to come off but our team of cloggers in midfield, Safri setting play up and WLY, Hucks and ashton doing the business in breaking teams down at the other end. I have seen more NCFC chances in the last 2 home matches than the whole of the rest of the season put together.  Finally good inventive attacking play. sp i can forgive the odd flick or trick going wrong (as long as it happens in the final third.

I wonder if worthy would like  Ronaldinho in his team with all his flicks and tricks....

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

[quote user="ridgeman"]I was much more worried about his comments "I do not like flicks in football" because it says much more about his style of play work ethic, work ethic, work ethic. I am still not convinced he is the right person to manage our club and fear that if we do return to the premiership we could still go all season without an away win. [/quote]

Good point there. Its the flicks and tricks of WLY, hucks and Ashton that are a part of their success going forward recently.

[/quote]

This is poor (even for a WO), the full quote is “In the second half some of his decision making wasn''t good - he was running into too many bodies, not making the right decisions as far as passing the ball, flicking, which I do not like, I am not into that at all. We gave the ball away and suddenly Burnley are coming back at us.

“Chalk and cheese sums up Darren - he''s a good player for us but we have got to learn as a group how to win a game much better than we did today.”
He was talking about not liking it in the context of closing the game down and after mentioning one player he then said ''we have got to learn'', take the blinkers off and give the man a fair go.

I think Worthington was right in this situation. At times we were playing exhibition football - fair play if we''re three up, but I wonder how many of you would be slating the manager had the worst come to the worst and Burnley got something from the game, when in reality the players really let their foot off the gas.We have got to learn to close games out properly. Burnley had one shot on target throughout the entire match, yet there was still a nervy finish. The amount of times we stood off players and let them get crosses in was unbelievable, yet we were still trying to take the p**s at the other end of the field. Personally I would have taken Hucks off on 70 minutes when he appeared to be fatigued, and brought someone like Brennan on to sure up the defensive side of the squad.A plus point though, we did look twice the side Burnley did in the first half, and I can understand the players wanting to conserve energy. In the end it was a comfortable win and we now have 3 winnable games. 5/6 wins out of 7 would really put us in contention for the playoffs.

So when things weren''t going so well a few weeks ago and everyone was complaining about Worthy''s bland comments( hard work, endevour, work ethic, commitment etc) and now the guy has the balls to say if he think a player isn''t performing, which is of course his right, he''s the boss remember? And he gets criticized?

Theres an old adage that says basically you''re never going to please everybody all of the time, but this whole thing smacks of message board fickleness at it''s worst. Huckerby isn''t, contrary to some opinions, some sort of God, he''s a player just like many others, granted a very important one, but no player is bigger than the team and all players have to do what the gaffer tells them.

I delight in seeing fancy showboating football but theres a time and a place, and sometimes hard graft and simple football is what is needed. So when Hux pi**es about with fancy flicks at a wholly inappropriate time then I welcome Worthy telling him off for it, it could have turned 3 points into only one or even none and then we''re back to square one, whining on about how crap we are and we need a new manager.   

His man-managment is not good, - hence the need to bring on the psychologist. He seems happier with players who are self-motivated, like Holt.Perhaps he needs to keep at McVeigh, to maintain his level. His public urging of Rossi Jarvis does not yet seem to have worked. The other players are professional and in many cases experienced and criticising them publickly does seem to suggest that either private chats have not worked or else Worthy does not feel up to private admonition.If it really is a final attempt on his part perhaps it is acceptable, but in general it does seem to suggest weakness.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]We all know what he thinks of the fans!

So now we get to hear what he thinks of the players............

such a nice man!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Oh stop papping on about Worthy "slagging" the fans will you, it''s so

tedious. He has every right to say whatever he likes, especially in the

face of constant critisism. We''re a football club, not a nursery, I

don''t care if he hates every last one of the fans and players as long

as the results are right.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]We all know what he thinks of the fans!

So now we get to hear what he thinks of the players............

such a nice man!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Oh stop papping on about Worthy "slagging" the fans will you, it''s so

tedious. He has every right to say whatever he likes, especially in the

face of constant critisism. We''re a football club, not a nursery, I

don''t care if he hates every last one of the fans and players as long

as the results are right. [/quote]

Until the last 4 games the results have not been right have they!

sorry but i pay me money and say what i like!

Worthy dosen''t have the right to say what he likes, since we are the

customers of Norwich City Football Club it makes no business sense to

slag us off, and he was rightly told so by the board of directors. It

also makes himself look very un professional, and dosen''t give a good

impression to future employers!!!

maybe thats why we are stuck with him...........

Hear hear Spat. I can''t stand this "faux horror" about his occassional and mild digs at fans. All this "how dare he criticise the fans" rubbish. He''s done it twice, it''s not like he makes a habit of it. And all last season and especially the season before he was very fulsome in his praise for the fans and the contribution we make. Then one day he says he doesn''t care what the fans think about his substitutions and it''s all pandamonium. I tell you one thing, if i was manager i wouldn''t give two hoots about what the fans thought of my substitutions. He''s not there to make fan pleasing subsitutions. Who cares if he''s a ''nice man'' - do you think Ferguson and Wenger are ''nice men.''?

One thing we can expect him to be is honest and he has that in spades.  

Best get over it Ronbol etc. The team under-achieved for a few games (along with some bad luck), and now they''re over-achieving (with some good luck as well). The players have closed ranks around the management and Board (see Rob Green''s comments), which tells you all you need to know about Worthy''s relationship with his players. Speculation from anyone outside, such as you or me, about whether he''s dissing his players is rather pointless. If the players don''t feel dissed, that''s it really.

A manager who doesn''t diss his players or supporters is obviously more

professional and is in more control than one who does, I don''t think

you need to add any more to the argument than that.

"it seems strange to me that most managers worth their salt will not publicly critisise players"

"A manager who doesn''t diss his players or supporters is obviously more professional and is in more control than one who does, I don''t think you need to add any more to the argument than that."

Like Jose Mourinho, I would assume right?

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=349383&CPID=8&clid=&lid=&title=Jose+blasts+Cole+display

why has it taken Worthy nearly 5 years to start criticising his players though???

and i agree... Mourinho is a professional and criticises his players when needed.. not every week like Worthy now seems to thik is the norm... we have had 5 years of "i cant fult my players" no are we going to have 5 years of "my players are rubbish" before he gets the right mix?

jas :)

Basic sports psychology.Criticising individual players when the team is doing badly makes the situation worse - it further weakens morale and confidence. Witness the support still given to their teams by Moyes, Bruce and McCarthy.Criticising them when the team is doing well works wonders. It makes players (even Joe Cole) fear for their place in the team and raise their game.Just goes to show again (heresy!) that Worthy knows his stuff.And as stated above - enough already with Worthy ''slating'' the fans. I for one did not feel slated when he said he didn''t care what I thought about his substitutions. A manager who took advice from ill- or partially-informed fans on tactics or substitutions would be a very weak and foolish manager indeed!

I haven''t noticed a weekly diatribe against players, just the odd comment.Who knows, maybe part of the sports psychology is for players to be made to face up to errors in a more public manner.It''s all very well to ''keep it on the training ground'', but some players can be stubborn in responding to criticism - something that''s harder to keep up once the comments are in the public domain.We all know that WLY has been very hit & miss for the last couple of seasons. Remember he got his first chance under Worthington, after facing up to a challenge to improve his fitness levels - that was nearly 5 years ago.Huckerby is often praised by Worthy, who has frequently said that you can''t change his game. That doesn''t mean you shouldn''t point out inappropriate uses of skill (As Mourinho has with Cole).He''s not accused players of being rubbish - at worst he''s (correctly) slated the lack of effort in games at Molineux and Pride Park. I''d say the balance was about right.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

why has it taken Worthy nearly 5 years to start criticising his players though???

and i agree... Mourinho is a professional and criticises his players when needed.. not every week like Worthy now seems to thik is the norm... we have had 5 years of "i cant fult my players" no are we going to have 5 years of "my players are rubbish" before he gets the right mix?

jas :)

[/quote]I don''t agree with that at all - Worthington gives credit when credit is due, and it''s nice to see him do just to opposite when that''s needed too. If he''d have criticised the players and the results had become poorer, then I could see your point, but the fact remains we''ve won the last 5 on the trot, and Huckerby and McVeigh are playing absolute storming football (even having been ''unfairly'' criticised by the manager). Perhaps it''s time to give Worthy a bit of credit for clearly making the right decision?