vlad666

That’s your lot!

I don’t understand why we keep banging on about spending money the club doesn’t have

We go with the brilliant young talent we have and give it a right go

in Webber we believe 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Villa are about to sign their eleventh new player, bet the players who got them up aren’t too pleased 

5 of the starting XI from the play off final left the club at the end of the season. Villa then signed Mings and El Gahzi back. 

They needed a lot of new players as they didn’t actually have that many players contracted beyond the end of June. 

Sounds a lot like what happened at Fulham. I think Dean Smith has a very tough job to gel so many players. Well I hope so

I see another addition to our academy has been made, with the expected arrival Reece McAlear from Motherwell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smooth said:

Sounds a lot like what happened at Fulham. I think Dean Smith has a very tough job to gel so many players. Well I hope so

I think Dean Smith is considerably better than Jokanovic to be honest and many of the players Villa have signed were either at the club last season or played for Smith at Brentford - so it shouldn't be as large a job as Fulham had. Fulham also brought in quite a lot of their players on the last couple of days of the window - Villa have got most of their work done early.

1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I don’t understand why we keep banging on about spending money the club doesn’t have

in Webber we believe 

Not one single person has suggested that.

4 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

problem is that to improve the side we need proven players, they all cost at least £25m. That's what someone like Kalvin Phillip's has been quoted at who hasn't even stepped foot in the prem.

I would like to think we still have something up our sleeves, maybe a loan or something for a player not named in the 25 with a bit of experience.

It will be more difficult to find those hidden gems now.  Hence why I think our strategy is to try and get them in early and put them in the U23s.  Hopefully they'll develop into good first team players, if not the outlay hasn't been huge, we have the time to develop them further and even if they don't make it with us, they're still young so would probably have a resale value. But there will still be players out there costing say anything up to £6m, £7m, £8m who can improve us.

Edited by norfolkbroadslim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

in Webber we believe 

Do you believe the club do not have more than 3m to spend on transfer fees? I haven't seen anyone demanding obscene signings - only some more signings to improve the first xi.

Each club gets £80m minimum just for competing in the league. Yes you get it over time, you also pay for transfers over time.

There is a balance to be struck, 90% of Norwich fans know we cannot afford to blow 50m this window and risk the club. But we can afford to invest realistcally in players that will give us a better chance of banking the 80m next year.

• Like 1

Im actually very happy with our approach this season. We will be seen as dead certs for relegation for not having invested heavily. However this does allow us to be underestimated. We have rewarded and shown faith in our players, which will keep them happy and together as a team.

I am not yearning for signings at all

• Like 1

People are forgetting that Villa went up with two notable loan players - Mings and Abrahams. Mings falls into a perfect storm in terms of cost - Bournemouth were always going to command a huge fee because of the circumstances. And Abraham’s is off back to Chelsea so they need to replace him. We have none of these issues. We just needed to sign their equivalents - Godfrey and Pukki onto longer contracts . Which we have . 

Seeing these players in the Prem is the most exciting thing we could have dreamed of. I can’t wait . 

• Like 1

The likes of Sheffield and Aston Villa may have spent more but I wouldn't say that relates to anything.
We don't need to spend the money and still have a quality of squad higher than they have. If we valued our squad to AV or Sheff i'd say our team is valued more. We don't have to worry about the settling in process either!!

They talk about buying Mings.... I'd say extending the contract of Aarons is better business. Far better player, who I think is worth more!

Investing is only worth it if you're improving and to improve the Norwich squad would take fantastic scouting and finding hidden gems OR splashing the cash and taking the risk that a "known name" would improve but there isn't any guarantee and could ruin the team spirit we have.

In short, if we don't get anyone else in I'm not too disappointed and quite pleased with the contract renewals and signings we've made (especially the youth) regardless of the league we have an exciting future!.

5 hours ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Premier League clubs net spend since June 2016 -

The team (apart from us) that really stands out for me in that list is Brighton £152 million!! And they were very nearly relegated!. Also quite like the look of us spending minus 52 mill too. That's a massive profit on players for a Club of our size...and I reckon we're  better as a team and as a club than we were in 2016. That's very good work City.

20 hours ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

In football, signing a player for any amount doesn't guarantee a thing.  But equally, on that basis, nobody would ever sign anyone if they were waiting for that guarantee.  It would be easy to waste £20m.  It's how the money is spent that is important.

True ... but my point is not against spending money on buying players per se, rather it is against spending money that you cannot afford (risking your future for your present) and possibly going to damage the club in the medium term.

We did it last time we were up and others have done the same on a far bigger scale - there are plenty of examples in the Championship and below.