vlad666

That’s your lot!

Don’t think that’s necessarily what it means and we will get a couple more in - but if that is indeed it, then to coin a phrase, “we go with what we’ve got”.

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Don’t think that’s necessarily what it means and we will get a couple more in - but if that is indeed it, then to coin a phrase, “we go with what we’ve got”.

And that should be enough - the players are that good and the way they play together is that good too. If any team thinks we are cannon fodder this season they will be in for a shock. 

Krul/Fahrmann will be an excellent gk combination

We will see Aarons/Byram good enough against anyone and I mean anyone

We will see Klose/Godfrey/Zimbo/Hanley as solid CB combination as any in the PL

We will see Lewis/Heisse good enough against any opposition

We will see our superb midfielders mixing it with the best and coming out on top - Buendia, Leitner, Vrancic, McLean, Stiepermann, Trybull, Cantwell, Hernandez, Roberts, Tettey, Thompson.....the list of brilliant players goes on......in any combination.

Our front players have the necessary to do it too, based on the quality that is behind them and the chances that will be created.

In short it is going to be fantastic.  I'm excited, win lose or draw, it is going to be a heck of a ride, but I'm still thinking we are going to pull off something spectacular.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

IF (and it is a huge IF) we end up going with what we have, I have to admit there will be some disappointment from me. Webber said he wanted to get his business done early and that period has certainly gone.

I do worry we could be left in a position where we are needing to make signings in January.

The fans are sweet now, but we all know fine well that the mood will shift dramatically if we are in the bottom 3 come January and have only spent £1m on permanent transfers.

I really hope we will bring in one or two more players to improve the first xi. It is naive in my opinion for any team to rest on past successes.

That said, we do have a talented squad that is certainly good enough to give the premier league a go.

• Like 2

Farke talks sense - "Of course we would like to add some quality because when you are able to spend money and add some quality, you have a bigger chance to stay in this league and be successful but we know we have to compete with our tools and that's what we are trying to do. "

I would be disappointed and lose some hope of our chances of staying up if we don't sign a couple more players.

I think the article is more of a, we've got a good group and we will work with what we've got if none of our other targets come off.  We aren't going to blow the budget for the sake of it or even risk a few million on a third or fourth choice option, if that risk is deemed too great.

It's certainly not a, we don't need to spend money to add quality as stated by Farke. 

If it was a we can't afford to spend more than £1m I would be rather concerned by that, as a Premier League club, even in our position we should still be able to spend more than £1m on transfer fees.

If targets don't come off it would be interesting to find out why, although we probably never would.  I don't think Webber is a fan of the January window, so you would think that they would prefer the players would come in now, to give us the best possible chance of survival. 

It will no doubt be more difficult to find those 'hidden gems' (Free or cheap players) who have the quality to start Premier League games from the off.  We don't have the luxury of time or budget of being able to sign players for say £1m - £3m who may need a few months or a loan to find their feet.  That's what we've done with the U23s.  We are going to only be looking at players who can go straight in to a PL matchday squad.  Who can improve the squad.  Which working within our constraints, isn't going to be easy, but there will be players out there and I still have hope of a couple more signings.

It would be interesting to see what the last 20 promoted sides have spent. That would give a realistic sense of a over spend versus under spend versus realistic spend 

48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

These four aren’t bad (this isn’t meant as a criticism of them), but let’s consider how many we let in last season and then also consider that one is a young lad who has never played in the prem, one hadn’t played above the German third tier before joining us, one played a handful of games in the prem the best part of a decade ago and has been nothing more than a decent championship defender ever since, and the other is now 31 and has had a few injuries in the last couple of years. Are you seriously saying that is as solid as:

Laporte, Stones, Otamendi, Managala;

Van Dijk, Gomez, Matilda, Lovren;

Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Carter-Vickers;

Christensen, Luiz, Rudiger, Zouma;

Bailey, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Lindelof;

Mustafi, Chambers, Koscielny, Socrates;

Maguire, Morgan, Evans, Soyuncu;

Tarkowski, Mee, Gibson, Long

I’m struggling to name another full four off the top of my head, but the large majority of the rest of the clubs have at least one or two quality centre halves with far more top flight/European/international experience than our four has got combined.

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

LDC you’re great at over egging it! We will see Klose/Godfrey/Zimbo/Hanley as solid CB combination as any in the PL.

But I totally get what Farke is saying, we go with the quality we have, no point in buying or loaning players who don’t improve what we have, it’d be waisted money.

I’m sure there’s one or two more lined up but probably not in our budget or made available yet, we might just be yet surprised!

The point that we’ve only got three in permanently is an interesting one. Did they think the loanees we have bought in were better than what we could afford to sign permanently?  Probably so. Would you take that extra quality for a year knowing they’ll go back next summer, or would you prefer a slightly worse player but who will be with us next year to rebuild IF we go down? 

Not really any right answer to that, but I think the balance so far is about right. 

I suppose my disappointment is that we haven’t improved the first eleven, just the squad. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I know you're an optimist LDC, but that's overreaching by some margin!

Well he's predicted the final squad will finish 3rd or 4th, and if there are no further signings, that prediction looks induced by banned substances.

6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

These four aren’t bad (this isn’t meant as a criticism of them), but let’s consider how many we let in last season and then also consider that one is a young lad who has never played in the prem, one hadn’t played above the German third tier before joining us, one played a handful of games in the prem the best part of a decade ago and has been nothing more than a decent championship defender ever since, and the other is now 31 and has had a few injuries in the last couple of years. Are you seriously saying that is as solid as:

Laporte, Stones, Otamendi, Managala;

Van Dijk, Gomez, Matilda, Lovren;

Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Carter-Vickers;

Christensen, Luiz, Rudiger, Zouma;

Bailey, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Lindelof;

Mustafi, Chambers, Koscielny, Socrates;

Maguire, Morgan, Evans, Soyuncu;

Tarkowski, Mee, Gibson, Long

I’m struggling to name another full four off the top of my head, but the large majority of the rest of the clubs have at least one or two quality centre halves with far more top flight/European/international experience than our four has got combined.

In Godfrey we have a player who could well be as good as or better than any of those. In Klose we have one of the best technical centre backs as any of those and one of the best distribuors of the ball too. In Zimmermann we have a player who is captain material and shows more desire in what he does than any of those. Hanley is maybe not as good - but then he hasn't been able to get a good run in the team to show us what he can do in a successful team. 

I think they're great and anyway - in your list are several players who have been less than effective defensively and collectively.

I wouldn't swap any of our players for any of them, individually or as a four.....well maybe Van Dijk....

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I suppose my disappointment is that we haven’t improved the first eleven, just the squad. 

Probably fair. But then it’s hard to see one position that really needed improving. Perhaps a real top quality DM or centre back, perhaps a real top quality attacking midfielder (but they’re very expensive). I think the problem we faced is that to bring in someone “better on paper” than our existing squad, we’d have had to pay more than we could probably afford and there’d be no guarantee they would actually have been any better.

So many of our squad are young lads who have never had a chance in the prem. I’m certainly not as positive as LDC, but the more toned-down realistic version of what he tries to say (that the current squad are only going to get better due to their relative young age, and were very good last year anyway) I do agree with - and it could be an exciting next couple of years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In Godfrey we have a player who could well be as good as or better than any of those. In Klose we have one of the best technical centre backs as any of those and one of the best distribuors of the ball too. In Zimmermann we have a player who is captain material and shows more desire in what he does than any of those. Hanley is maybe not as good - but then he hasn't been able to get a good run in the team to show us what he can do in a successful team. 

I think they're great and anyway - in your list are several players who have been less than effective defensively and collectively.

I wouldn't swap any of our players for any of them, individually or as a four.....well maybe Van Dijk....

You on the drink with Billy boy? The top four clubs in Europe, all four English teams who played out both European cup competitions and you think we have a better technical player in Klose! Godfrey as good as anybody! I think I’d swap our four for any four from Liverpool, Spurs or Chelsea. 

But I get your optimism, one day if Godfrey keeps developing then yes he could well end up in a top four side!

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

You on the drink with Billy boy? The top four clubs in Europe, all four English teams who played out both European cup competitions and you think we have a better technical player in Klose! Godfrey as good as anybody! I think I’d swap our four for any four from Liverpool, Spurs or Chelsea. 

But I get your optimism, one day if Godfrey keeps developing then yes he could well end up in a top four side!

I’d started to type a response to LDC and couldn’t be bothered, so I’ll just quote this one!

These young players deserve a crack at the big time

we may go down but the season will give them valuable experience and their values will go up immeasurably 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanaryNath said:

The heat must have gotten to you, LDC

Compared to his "Rudd as good as De Gea" epic, this is quite conservative.

• Haha 1

If we have finished for this window it would be interesting to work out how much of the Premiership money we have spent.

Huge guesswork but I'm thinking around £30 million (£5m Conley, £5m Buendia, £3m transfers including U23's, £2m loan fees, £5m promotion bonuses, £10m improved contracts). Have I missed anything or any of the figures wide of the mark?

If that's right we will have a decent amount left for stabilising and strengthening for a few years even if we go down. What are we guaranteed to get this year even at the worst?

2 minutes ago, CanaryNath said:

The heat must have gotten to you, LDC

It probably has, but I would still pay good money to see our quality group of players with their teamwork/attitude above a whole load of other clubs, who despite the hype that is given them, are just another group of footballers to compete against.  Pukki will find space on any pitch against any team on the planet - how ever good the opposition defenders are.  Hernandez and Roberts will cause problems to any defence. Vrancic will bend his shots around defenders how ever much they cost and whatever their reputation is.  Buendia will still be too quick for many of the PL teams' defenders.....Stiepermann will still get his shots away like he did last season, the quality is there and we won't fear the opposition.  The prognosis - as long as we stick together - is good. Exciting times.

• Like 2

Just now, Jobsworth Canary said:

These young players deserve a crack at the big time

we may go down but the season will give them valuable experience and their values will go up immeasurably 

And we haven't spunked £100m on a whole new team a la Villa and Fulham. I reckon there is something to be had in keeping the faith with one of the most 'together' squads I've ever known us to have and could be worth a point or two on it's own.

L**bert was good at this, he slowly tweaked the team over the time he was here, no fanfares and got us to 11th in the Prem.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

It probably has, but I would still pay good money to see our quality group of players with their teamwork/attitude above a whole load of other clubs, who despite the hype that is given them, are just another group of footballers to compete against.  Pukki will find space on any pitch against any team on the planet - how ever good the opposition defenders are.  Hernandez and Roberts will cause problems to any defence. Vrancic will bend his shots around defenders how ever much they cost and whatever their reputation is.  Buendia will still be too quick for many of the PL teams' defenders.....Stiepermann will still get his shots away like he did last season, the quality is there and we won't fear the opposition.  The prognosis - as long as we stick together - is good. Exciting times.

Agree with the 'teamwork/attitude' part Lakey but you are over-optimistic with the other rhetoric.

And yes, exciting times!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The problem is that our opposition also have quality strikers who can find space, they also have wingers who cause problems, they have midfielders who can curl a ball, they have players who can run fast and they have players who might shoot from range. Unfortunately, the majority of Premier League sides have players who can do these things better than ours can.

I'm not sure if you're drunk, joking, naive or just a little bit bonkers, but whatever it is, you're just setting yourself up for a fall.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

I will be amazed if we don’t add a couple more that will directly challenge the first 11. I want the players who got us there given a shot at it, but we have to at least “give the lads a hand” as a certain ex manager used to say. 

Well, I can't say I'm an optimistic character... I think we are going to be in for a shock! I like the new contracts and I will be backing the lads all the way. Yet the 4 CBs we have don't match up with a whole lot of the foursomes mentioned tbh...we let in a lot of goals last season...it's PL now boy's...wouldn't mind another signing if it's right

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

And that should be enough - the players are that good and the way they play together is that good too. If any team thinks we are cannon fodder this season they will be in for a shock. 

Krul/Fahrmann will be an excellent gk combination

We will see Aarons/Byram good enough against anyone and I mean anyone

We will see Lewis/Heisse good enough against any opposition

We will see our superb midfielders mixing it with the best and coming out on top - Buendia, Leitner, Vrancic, McLean, Stiepermann, Trybull, Cantwell, Hernandez, Roberts, Tettey, Thompson.....the list of brilliant players goes on......in any combination.

Our front players have the necessary to do it too, based on the quality that is behind them and the chances that will be created.

In short it is going to be fantastic.  I'm excited, win lose or draw, it is going to be a heck of a ride, but I'm still thinking we are going to pull off something spectacular.

I’m with you LDC...

• Like 1