I'd probably file Srbeny in the exact same place as I did with Stiepermann after his first season with us - and also Vrancic to a degree who very much divided opinion at this stage (although I respect both contributed with more playing time than Srbeny). Despite being relatively unfavoured I thought DS showed some signs of promise - certainly none less than Stiepermann.

No one saw the resurgence of either of these two additions after mediocre introductions to the club. And let's not forget the resurgence of our entire team after a similarly slow start to life under Farke - despite losing our key player who singlehandedly prevented us from a relegation battle. What signs of us winning the league in the follow up season were there at this point? I'd go with, somewhere around none - there were no signs. Given this, why don't we open up the possibility of Srbeny showing this sort of fruition, or at least some improvement in his contribution to the team? Or you know, at least just try to be optimistic and hopeful that it might happen.

Seems stupid to write anyone off given what we've just witnessed last season, there is a plethora of evidence from the Farke / Webber tenure which certainly gives me a good reason to be optimistic. Why others still choose not to be I'm not sure.

(PS this post probably applies more to the other thread where this was discussed in more detail)

…..

(PPS okay its aimed at Til for that brilliant Sloughbottom Park comparison)

I know it’s only a friendly, I know we had a training session in the morning and I know it was also “behind closed doors” and we were experimenting but I do remain concerned that so far in pre season we still seem unable to keep a clean sheet against any opposition and are continuing to ship the same sort of goals that we have tended to concede for the last two seasons.

we don’t have a lot of money, we need marginal gains to help us stay up this season and one of those needs to be improved defending and cutting out the kind of sloppiness that has seen us concede too many goals because our attacking quality will not always get us out of jail this season in the way it did last. The failure to address the CDM area is also a bit of a worry. 

I think that it is natural to have those current fears and you just have to think back to the famous Millwall home game as a demonstration of how the quality of our attack got us out of jail. There were quite a few other occasions.

It's a difficult one really because on an individual basis these defenders are highly rated. Something is therefore amiss.

We all know just who/what is needed as it's been repeated on here enough times.

May be Farke will decide to tinker with the system at times as, I should imagine that he is fully aware of these shortcomings. 

More/better cover for the back four or three central defenders in the starting line up are changes mentioned, as something needs doing.

Our stiff opening run will reveal all no doubt.

I agree individually our defenders are good players which is why I don’t necessarily see this as a personell issue although I think a more athletic defensive midfielder would help.

i think part of the issue is concentration and mindset (which I think you can build up over pre season as bad habits become hard to shift) and the other part is down to committing the full backs forward so regularly and some questionable marking tactics/systems at set pieces which Farke should be able to address. 

I should say I thought we were really excellent against Shalke and I have no worries about our ability to play good, attacking football at this level but I do worry that if we do not make improvements to our defending the good stuff will be undermined. 

With Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City to contend with before we've got half a dozen games under our belt, if Farke has anything to learn about the system it will be the hard way.

The goals against column could look a bit shabby after six games if our worst fears are revealed, I suspect he'll have something up his sleeve though. It took the new regime a full season to adapt to the Championship. If the same is needed for the Premier League it might well be a bumpy ride, but with a stronger cast at least.

I strongly suspect that that other player will be on board by then, but if not it might become a question of setting up more defensively on occasions with the bodies we have.

No concerns whatsoever that we are conceding this pre-season.... not once have we played anywhere near a starting 11, many of the new lads have had game time and thus not used to the players or system yet so stop  being unrealistic.    Things will change the minute we walk out at Anfield and frighten the living daylights out of them!!!      Until then, chill out!   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

No concerns whatsoever that we are conceding this pre-season.... not once have we played anywhere near a starting 11, many of the new lads have had game time and thus not used to the players or system yet so stop  being unrealistic.    Things will change the minute we walk out at Anfield and frighten the living daylights out of them!!!      Until then, chill out!   

Having just watched the highlights it was anything but a hammering (quoting the other thread). 

Some silly defensive mistakes cost us but looking at the video (yes it's edited) we had other chances. 

I can't be bothered to worry about friendlies, bring on the season and let's see where we are at. 

Not sure I get the logic of a training session in the morning though unless this game was purely about fitness levels!? 

I know this is just a friendly - but the writing on the wall if we don't strengthen our defence with quality, there going to be silly goals given away followed by many hammerings

16 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

I know this is just a friendly - but the writing on the wall if we don't strengthen our defence with quality, there going to be silly goals given away followed by many hammerings

It was just a friendly in very high temeperatures.

After the high of playing so well and getting a result against Shalke , i wouldnt be at all surprised if the management decided that training in the morning  , then a match against a half decent brentford was a good way to bring the lads back down to earth, a good reminder that there's still plenty of work to do before...and after, 9 august.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, baldy09 said:

It was a runaround over the park (jumpers for goalposts?) nothing more, the fact that we had a training session in the morning tells us that it was merely getting miles in the legs for players who need it. 

I do like the fact that we are playing footballing Teams like Brentford and Luton. As opposed to local sides where we've incurred injuries in the past.

17 hours ago, Herman said:

It was just a friendly in very high temeperatures.

So friendly they gave three goals away and did not bother to run after the ball too much, and Brentford thought they were playing in the cup.