Anyone know how the game is going v Bees?  Seems that Michael Bailey is there and posting about it but the comments don’t seem to be appearing for me...

Hmmm....defence is a bit of a worry for me....still not getting MB’s comments coming through on that feed, which is a bit odd as other comments are appearing.

Farke out bring back Robert Chase to bring stability to the club

• Haha 1

its a friendly etc etc which is fine, not remotely bothered by the win/draw/lose, but we’ve not yet looked the part defensively, which has to be a little bit of a concern. 

They had a training session this morning, it's roasting at the moment and there were loads of subs. There's a reason why it was behind closed doors.

• Like 2

Preseason is a bit of a lottery - tbh I’d almost as soon lose as win games so that complacency doesn’t seep in; we’ve often done better after an iffy one and defeats give a chance to sort things out...but surely signs are there if we keep getting caught out

Edited by Branston Pickle

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

its a friendly etc etc which is fine, not remotely bothered by the win/draw/lose, but we’ve not yet looked the part defensively, which has to be a little bit of a concern. 

I hear ya bro!

As long as nobody picked up an injury I am not too bothered about a result in such a match.

Playing against some of these lower league sides pre-season can be dangerous at times, I believe there was a significant injury last season (was it v Luton?)

When Buendia went down after a heavy tackle today and got up gingerly afterwards I got nervous.

Keep our crown jewels away from these cloggers, say I.

I suppose it's good to refer to Brentford as "lower league" once again, although they're probably not cloggers.

Edited by BroadstairsR

11 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

As long as nobody picked up an injury I am not too bothered about a result in such a match.

This

I agree to a point - these matches don’t mean anything in terms of what might go on in the season to come.  They clearly serve a purpose for fitness, match time, tactics etc etc - but hopefully also to show potentially weak areas and not just to those we’ll be playing this season. 

23 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Spot on as Scum played lower league opposition last night if that is at all possible for them in Notts County and have lost a player i have never heard of called Nydam for 6 months with a broken ankle.

Little bit harsh labeling Brentford as lower league - whilst technically correct, it makes it sound like we think we're Man City or they're someone utterly rubbish, like Ipswich.

Agree with both of the sentiments above that as long as we didn't get injuries it's not a problem and not being a fan of McClean and Leitner as a pairing.

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Interesting Srbeny got 90 minutes again, the only player to do so apart from Godfrey.

Farke is really trying with this guy, pity he isn’t the answer

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:
12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Interesting Srbeny got 90 minutes again, the only player to do so apart from Godfrey.

Farke is really trying with this guy, pity he isn’t the answer

Maybe he's trying because he thinks Srbeny has something.  We'll see - never write anyone off.

He’s been getting plenty of game time so they can make a decision on what to do with him before the season starts. It will be interesting to see whether he is included  in the squad or loaned out

I have not particularly seen anything very noteworthy - good or bad - in Srbeny. However, for some reason I have a feeling that he'll come good if he gets a chance. Not based on any logic or knowledge, other than a feeling and it is probably wildly wrong. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Maybe he's trying because he thinks Srbeny has something.  We'll see - never write anyone off.

I’ll always route for him to score, but I am afraid it’s another Wilbraham situation 

If he's being schooled to play the Stiepermann type game, which I believe he is, then goals will not be his main game - they'll still be important and as we saw last season, eight to ten goals would be a good return from a player playing behind a striker.  If Stiepermann is a key player like he was last season, then to have a player capable of playing that role in the case of injury or suspension, is important.  

Did anyone actually watch the match that can say where he played for the 90 minutes and how effective he was? It seems strange to play a player for a whole match when there are others who will have been wanting/needing match time.

• Like 1

A useful game if it brings home to the management that we simply leak far too many goals. 

A comment from elsewhere

" Look at the pattern of their goals 11 minutes in and they score a goals as defence is settling, Hanley comes on and 3 minutes later a goal is scored, Aarons and Lewis come on and 4 minutes later a goal is scored. The lesson here is about keeping a settled defence. "

It was a 'trial' game on one of th hottest days of the year. I wouldn't read to much into the score either

• Like 1