Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Test cricket

I see Olly Pope has been called up as cover after his double century you’d think they would drop Denly move Roy to four and open with Pope.

Momentum seems to have swung  one way and another today, but we’ve got a genuine strike bowler on our hands with Archer

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 21:03, Indy said:

I see Olly Pope has been called up as cover after his double century you’d think they would drop Denly move Roy to four and open with Pope.

I don't think Pope would be ready to open. Surrey have only this season moved him up to number 4. When he played against India at four, the general feeling was that he was batting too high for that stage of his career. The problem England has is that there are so many players suited to batting between 5 and 7. Maybe he is ready to be tried again at  number 4. No doubt, though, he is very highly rated. He is one of those players I feel really disappointed when they get out.  He seems destined to be in the test team sooner rather than later.

Edited by makham

Had high hopes for Roy, better suited to batting lower down the order though but maybe not in this team.

Hope he gets a score today.

Who do we replace him with if not?

i recon Grant Hanley would do a good job

Edited by Van wink

A perfect day for batting and the usual top end collapse, can see us bowled out for under a hundred and an Aussie win.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

A perfect day for batting and the usual top end collapse, can see us bowled out for under a hundred and an Aussie win.

Very dissaponting start, ball beating bat regularly☹️

Edited by Van wink

Stokes stretches out to play a widish ball, nicks it and caught behind, wtf is he doing?

34-4.

Edited by Van wink

I feel sorry for Archer had a magnificant day yesterday and totally let down today by his team mates!

Edited by Van wink

Completely moronic batting.

We seem to lack the ability to just dig in and grind out an innings. All that momentum just thrown away. 

We've completely lost the art of test match batting. Dig in, block, punish the bad balls and rotate the strike. Instead we're just chasing everything and handing momentum to Australia.

Surely Root can't be captain if we lose 4-0 as is looking likely now?

Gentlemen’s club, keep with a losing team! Denly again at 33 is not going to get better, he’s past his prime and offers little, Roy was tried and shown isn’t an opening test batsman, Root isn’t a captain, but then not sure who is in that team. Time to dig deal and bowl fast hostile bouncers with good length balls........it’s all over really isn’t it? Even our spin bowlers are Sunday league at best!

Get Morgan in. He cannot do any worse than this shower of a batting lineup. Root to lose both captaincy and his place. 

We've got the attack, just no batsmen. 

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Get Morgan in. He cannot do any worse than this shower of a batting lineup. Root to lose both captaincy and his place. 

We've got the attack, just no batsmen. 

Dumping Root totally is throwing out the baby with the bathwater- he's still one of our best batsmen and one of the few capable of playing a proper test match innings when in form. He just shouldn't be captain.

• Like 3

Boycott really slagging the team off and other commentators on TMS sound embarrassed. But to be honest he is spot on!

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Australia could declare now and win a test match within 2 days.

A hot, long weekend where there could have been plenty of opportunities to sit in the garden, cold one in hand and radio on with TMS chatting away. Ho hum.

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Dumping Root totally is throwing out the baby with the bathwater- he's still one of our best batsmen and one of the few capable of playing a proper test match innings when in form. He just shouldn't be captain.

But his average as captivating isn’t very good, his average as just a batsman is far better. No one is saying dump him, just move him back to doing his job as one of the best batsman in the world. He’s just not captain material as highlighted by few of the ex England players.

8 hours ago, Indy said:

But his average as captivating isn’t very good, his average as just a batsman is far better. No one is saying dump him, just move him back to doing his job as one of the best batsman in the world. He’s just not captain material as highlighted by few of the ex England players.

The post I quoted was literally saying to dump him...

2 hours ago, king canary said:

The post I quoted was literally saying to dump him...

I saw that I assumed he meant the same as me dump him from the captaincy, you can’t drop the best English test batsman.

57 minutes ago, Indy said:

I saw that I assumed he meant the same as me dump him from the captaincy, you can’t drop the best English test batsman.

I don't want to be rude but how can you read...

20 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Root to lose both captaincy and his place. 

...as anything other than dropping him? 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I don't want to be rude but how can you read...

...as anything other than dropping him? 

No you’re right, I think I was thinking about his captaincy and read it in that context, but yes reading it again, it does say his place, that’s just daft!