Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Test cricket

I'm watching how England bat against Ireland and it's nothing like how to bat in a test match,  Have we lost the skill to bat for long periods ?

Getting used to watching this after the non-stop barrage of one day cricket is difficult.

'47 off 79 Leach? WTF is that?

I'm hoping we beat the Australians in this ashes series. I believe they cheated their way to winning them last time, only no one has admitted to it ! 

Good first session, although Stokes has bowled poorly and let them off the hook. If we can find a way to get Smith out early in the afternoon session, we could get them out relatively cheaply here...

• Like 1

You must remember that the shackle draggers were handpicked by our finest judges 200 years ago.

Sid Little gone after helping them get back into the game. Well played sir. Let's hope they should be all out soon.

Really not convinced about Root as a captain. Seems to have no plan, just relies on Broad or Woakes pulling something out of the bag.

That was fantastic batting from Smith to be fair.

Good beginning, excellent middle, terrible ending for England.

Smith's a terrific batsman. You'd think he was a walking wicket the way he covers the stumps, but he's rarely out lbw. Very difficult to bowl to and he's set it up to be a close test I think. 

21 hours ago, Herman said:

That was fantastic batting from Smith to be fair.

Good beginning, excellent middle, terrible ending for England.

It was fantastic but Root basically stopped trying to get him out at one point, relying on getting Lyon on strike- Smith is far too canny to let that happen though.

I think certain players have shown, if you are patient, you can get in and stay in.

We have had many days when the runs have flowed. For once, we just need to wait for the bad ball. There is plenty of time left and we don't want a decent total to chase batting last. Lyon is a better spinner than Ali.

I know its easier to be wise after the event, but, especially as Anderson won't bowl again, maybe Curran would have been a better bet than Denly, who after all is 33 and they say Anderson is ancient at 37, although he is a bowler.

55 minutes ago, king canary said:

It was fantastic but Root basically stopped trying to get him out at one point, relying on getting Lyon on strike- Smith is far too canny to let that happen though.

You can understand the thinking behind this, very tired and weakened bowlers were better to go after the weaker batsman. Good in theory, not so in practice.

Just now, Herman said:

You can understand the thinking behind this, very tired and weakened bowlers were better to go after the weaker batsman. Good in theory, not so in practice.

I think we tried it before against Kohli last summer and it didn't work then. 

Excellent batting by Burns today- would be great to have an established opener to fill the Cook shaped hole.

• Like 1

If you wanted to describe Englishness to someone TMS would be the best reference to give them. Aggers ripped it out of our Geoffrey during the first session; Boycott took it & gave it back with good humour & got his revenge later with the hat eating. Brilliant!

I enjoyed today's cricket. Good solid batting from Root, fanatstic ton from Burns and a stabilising stint from Stokes. (I missed the two outs driving home from work). The TMS crew have been on fine form and the crowd were at their brilliant, **** taking best. Good stuff, keep it going.