Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Fer to Sheffield United

On 25/07/2019 at 09:03, king canary said:

Fer could have been something- you could see his touch, vision and ability on the ball in tight spaces. Unfortunately for him he was playing in a system that didn't make the most of those talents.

I'm fairly certain RVW wouldn't have made it here under a different manager. He was probably the most lightweight player I've ever seen and spent so much time on his **** looking accusingly at the referee for free kicks that never would have been given. Maybe he would have bulked up over the off-season but none of his talents seemed designed to a team scrapping at the bottom of the Premier League. He's a poacher and teams like us can't carry poachers. He's best suited to bigger teams in smaller leagues where he gets the regular chances created for him because he doesn't have the attributes to make them himself.

Wrt RvW, very odd that we would 'upgrade' our talismanic target man, who would draw fouls, gain territory and provide an outlet with a poacher who had scored most of his goals conerting crosses from fast conventional wingers (perhaps from counter-attacks, not sure on this), **** a club record fee to get him, and then decide to play a completely different way.

If you spend a club record on a player you genuinely think is a coup, why would you not build the team around him, or at least try to reproduce what brought him his success. Why would you isolate him as a lone striker, play inverted wingers who cut in instead of crossing from the byline and did so in a slow ambling way such that the opposition had plenty of time to regroup and shut down the space.

RvW was a very specific type of player and it was no surprise at all that he didnt adapt to a different system at all well. He is a luxury player totally inappropriiate for a team like Norwich. Always wondered whether he would have done alright at a team like Arsenal for instance, where he would have been provided with lots of chances. Aside from being the man on the end of it, he didnt really provide much else in his game - unlike a Holt. 

I dont know who is most to blame for his signing. The scouting team, the recruitment team as a whole or Hughton. It may well be that Hughton was given a player that didnt fit in with how he wanted to play, but I have to believe that Hughton was fully on board with 'upgrading' our fat tyre fitter with a Dutch pretty boy he didnt know what to do with. As he admittedly didnt know what to do with Fer either I have to blame Hughton for signing players that didnt fit his system, or refusing to adopt a system that made the most of these players

• Like 1

I really don’t think RVW would have done well in any team. He just wasn’t very good.

Those players were bought for Hughton and somebody in our setup did very well bringing them in to Norwich. Follow the money is a very appropriate phrase.

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I dont know who is most to blame for his signing. The scouting team, the recruitment team as a whole or Hughton. It may well be that Hughton was given a player that didnt fit in with how he wanted to play, but I have to believe that Hughton was fully on board with 'upgrading' our fat tyre fitter with a Dutch pretty boy he didnt know what to do with. As he admittedly didnt know what to do with Fer either I have to blame Hughton for signing players that didnt fit his system, or refusing to adopt a system that made the most of these players

It has been mentioned previously that Hughton was interested in him while at Newcastle. Andy Carroll and Peter Lovenkrands were the main forwards in 2010/11 so presumably he was going to pair RVW with Carroll? The target man/poacher combination?

21 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If you actually knew the details of the court case, rather than just repeating the misrepresentation of the case then you’d understand why she sued. 

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

Thanks for the info BYG, I do appreciate it.

I wouldn't disagree that there was no need to serve the coffee THAT hot, but even 'normal' temp coffee is going to burn, the woman caused it by opening the top and spilling it (which would have burnt her regardless, but clearly not as severely), and between your legs is hardly the appropriate place to be messing around with a hot drink (again, regardless of just how hot it is).

The point is however, that if you order a 'hot' drink, then you should expect it to be 'hot' (again, I'm not talking about extreme temps), and thusly it's somewhat bizarre to need to have a 'caution, contents hot' warning on the cup of a hot drink, as apparently, even after that was introduced, it hasn't stopped people carrying them in idiotic ways and burning themselves and then blaming the vendor.

9 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

That fat tyre fitter was 10x the player of RVW. I blame anybody and everybody involved in the transfer.  Messi would have struggled in a Hughton team but RVW couldn't score in a Guardiola team. They were perfectly suited.

13 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The fact that that Sheff Utd were even considering Fer is a clear sign they do not have a clue what they are doing imo. Good for us in that case.

I disagree. Fer is a good player. He lacked heart and desire whilst here but he could play. He could, in different circumstances ended up a top player.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

It has been mentioned previously that Hughton was interested in him while at Newcastle. Andy Carroll and Peter Lovenkrands were the main forwards in 2010/11 so presumably he was going to pair RVW with Carroll? The target man/poacher combination?

Might have worked. He kind of tried that will Elmander