It is astonishing how this is being classed as “shafting” the fans and “shambolic”.  It really isn’t either.  We have a limited supply of tickets with more people wanting them. It is inevitable that some will miss out.  I’ve both been to and missed out on going to things many times over the years, it’s just the way things go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

That’s a really good point probably not intentional but what if you try to get tickets and this happens every game ? 

I'd like to think that the likes of Burnley away wont be as popular as Liverpool away first game of the season so I'll at least get to most of the games up north and a few in London

7 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It is astonishing how this is being classed as “shafting” the fans and “shambolic”.  It really isn’t either.  We have a limited supply of tickets with more people wanting them. It is inevitable that some will miss out.  I’ve both been to and missed out on going to things many times over the years, it’s just the way things go.

But were you asked to pay £50 before having the opportunity to miss out? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It is. A large number of fans who had accrued loyalty points year in year out have been shafted and had to pay £50 for the privilege. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

You seem to be missing the point. People weren't moaning about missing out when they didn't have to pay £50 just to have the chance. 

Not shafted, they’ve just changed the rules and made them simpler - but it’s not as if we as supporters don’t get anything in return, going to games and (last season) seeing us win...unless you only went due to the points?   

Perhaps the club could maybe have made concessions for some (indeed, I thought they had) but I do think this “large number” of people with so many loyalty points being ‘shafted’ is being somewhat overstated on here.   I recall Brentford last season when they had limited supply (c1600) and I think 7-8 different sales dates/times - that is ridiculously complex - and yet they still made it down to ‘standard’ members if not general sale.

As to the £50 fee, that’s perhaps a tricky one - but it was a choice you could decide to make or not. With the membership scheme as it is, there had to be a fee of some sort, otherwise we’d all get one and it would be an even bigger free-for-all.  I personally didn’t get an away membership, I’ll just go if/when I can - I have my s/t (with which I have lost out priority) and will see how it goes.

All in all I don’t think the club has done any (intentional) “shafting”, but will clearly be looking at what goes on.  This first (few) game(s) would always be a bit oversubscribed and it will hopefully calm down. 

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not shafted, they’ve just changed the rules and made them simpler - but it’s not as if we as supporters don’t get anything in return, going to games and (last season) seeing us win...unless you only went due to the points?   

Perhaps the club could maybe have made concessions for some (indeed, I thought they had) but I do think this “large number” of people with so many loyalty points being ‘shafted’ is being somewhat overstated on here.   I recall Brentford last season when they had limited supply (c1600) and I think 7-8 different sales dates/times - that is ridiculously complex - and yet they still made it down to ‘standard’ members if not general sale.

As to the £50 fee, that’s perhaps a tricky one - but it was a choice you could decide to make or not. With the membership scheme as it is, there had to be a fee of some sort, otherwise we’d all get one and it would be an even bigger free-for-all.  I personally didn’t get an away membership, I’ll just go if/when I can - I have my s/t (with which I have lost out priority) and will see how it goes.

All in all I don’t think the club has done any (intentional) “shafting”, but will clearly be looking at what goes on.  This first (few) game(s) would always be a bit oversubscribed and it will hopefully calm down. 

I don't think our previous system was too complex and I don't remember many complaints about it being so.

What the club has done is found a route to extract more cash from its fans at a time when they've got more money than ever. I went into this season aiming to get to 3-4 home games and 3-4 away games. This membership system meant I either had to pay £100 to have a chance of doing that, choose one or the other or pay nothing and likely fight for scraps. 

Again, I'm lost as to why you seem to regard rewarding loyalty as a bad thing. I think it is generally accepted that those who made the effort to get to games like Rotherham and Hull probably deserve first dibs on Old Trafford or Anfield over those who just fancy the glamour trips.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think it is generally accepted that those who made the effort to get to games like Rotherham and Hull probably deserve first dibs on Old Trafford or Anfield over those who just fancy the glamour trips.

This affects more exiles/casuals than people realise. I have met plenty of people at away games who live away from Norwich who go to far flung games that Norwich based fans (apart from the hard core away fans) don't go to.   Exiles are faced with the fact that now many more fans will now fancy away games - fair enough you might say, but there simply is nothing in the present system to reward those that have made those distant matches and who are not in the 750 that are priority cases.......and there could have been.

It is not hard to identify who has bought away tickets in the past and add it to the system - as it is, all of a sudden, loyal away followers (who go to 1-9 away matches) are royally stuffed and competing with johnny come lately away supporters who haven't been to an away match for years and suddenly interested in travelling because we are in the PL.

Add to that the £50 fee and possibly not get any match tickets at all and the insult is complete.

10 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I'm away but tried get one for my cousin to go. Logged in at 9:20 and fail, sold out, no luck. Will have to try harder next time when I am back from hols otherwise what a waste of £100

Not sure if you have seen my post above, but tickets were still available by phone at 10.30, it would appear they are saving a certain amount for each platform.

11 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Not sure if you have seen my post above, but tickets were still available by phone at 10.30, it would appear they are saving a certain amount for each platform.

Another c*ck up then - online users being told it is sold out, but it isn't.

Not necessarily,

In order to give all priority members a fair chance they reserve certain amounts for phone/in person/online.

However if that has been the case, it hasn't been communicated.

The delivery channels are another learning curve for NCFC . In truth not many tickets for anything these days are sold in three ways , or even two. Most tickets are online , complete with ticketmaster style fees. I would say it is a concession to the fans that you can still queue up at the ticket office , telephone or go online . 

Staffing ticket offices is another expense that slowly gets outsourced . 

The message seems to be try all three ! 

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Another c*ck up then - online users being told it is sold out, but it isn't.

This isn't a new thing to be fair- when I was trying to buy for Sheffield Wednesday at home I got told sold out via phone but picked up 3 on the website.

Didn't have to pay £50 for the privilege either.

33 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This affects more exiles/casuals than people realise. I have met plenty of people at away games who live away from Norwich who go to far flung games that Norwich based fans (apart from the hard core away fans) don't go to.   Exiles are faced with the fact that now many more fans will now fancy away games - fair enough you might say, but there simply is nothing in the present system to reward those that have made those distant matches and who are not in the 750 that are priority cases.......and there could have been.

It is not hard to identify who has bought away tickets in the past and add it to the system - as it is, all of a sudden, loyal away followers (who go to 1-9 away matches) are royally stuffed and competing with johnny come lately away supporters who haven't been to an away match for years and suddenly interested in travelling because we are in the PL.

Add to that the £50 fee and possibly not get any match tickets at all and the insult is complete.

I think we're in pretty similar boats- wanted to go to home and away games but not willing to pay £100 for two memberships just for a shot at tickets.

• Like 1

I think realistically they have to reserve tickets specifically for all three methods, otherwise they'd sell out online within ten minutes. This would mean those at the ground or on the phone would have no chance unless they're amongst the first five or ten, as it takes more time to complete those transactions due to manpower issues. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think realistically they have to reserve tickets specifically for all three methods, otherwise they'd sell out online within ten minutes. This would mean those at the ground or on the phone would have no chance unless they're amongst the first five or ten, as it takes more time to complete those transactions due to manpower issues. 

Some factors that I think aren’t always acknowledged:

- The scheme does recognise loyalty, that’s why there’s the initial 750 ex-away season ticket/ more than 10 away games group. Granted it doesn’t do anything for the 1-9 away games group (which is where I am), but if they had created a 5-9 priority rank, people with 4 away games would still be unhappy. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

- There’s a lot of unhappiness on here based on sales of the first two games. These will not be typical. I bought three tickets for the first game of Lambert’s first PL season without any sort of membership, and that was a 3 o’clock kickoff and not on Sky. Demand has grown significantly since then.

- In years gone by, the club has been accused of not managing potential income properly. Where do all the £50s go? Back into the club we all love. We may even be getting lots of £50s from casual supporters who “only want to see Man U”.

tl;dr - let’s wait and see for a couple of months before condemning the club.

Edited by Nuff Said

Wee question.  The people with more than 10 away games from last season. Is that 10 league games or does buying away cup tickets count?

Also reading....For this 10+ away games to get into the priority window did you have to be an away season ticket holder?

Edited by KiwiScot

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

The club knew there were 4,500 fans who went to 4-10 away games last season plus the 750 in the 10 game plus bracket. All these people had accrued loyalty points with a legitimate expectation it would give them some priority for big games in the future. The club has targeted and sought to monetise this element of the support which is generally the most loyal fans.

you say people had a choice whether to buy a membership but as the Liverpool sale shows you don’t have a choice if you want to get away tickets. 

25 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Wee question.  The people with more than 10 away games from last season. Is that 10 league games or does buying away cup tickets count?

Also reading....For this 10+ away games to get into the priority window did you have to be an away season ticket holder?

No it’s ten games but any where you paid on the gate they won’t count. If you did ten away games you are eligible.

27 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

- The scheme does recognise loyalty, that’s why there’s the initial 750 ex-away season ticket/ more than 10 away games group. Granted it doesn’t do anything for the 1-9 away games group (which is where I am), but if they had created a 5-9 priority rank, people with 4 away games would still be unhappy. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

- There’s a lot of unhappiness on here based on sales of the first two games. These will not be typical. I bought three tickets for the first game of Lambert’s first PL season without any sort of membership, and that was a 3 o’clock kickoff and not on Sky. Demand has grown significantly since then.

- In years gone by, the club has been accused of not managing potential income properly. Where do all the £50s go? Back into the club we all love. We may even be getting lots of £50s from casual supporters who “only want to see Man U”.

27 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I am already quite happy to condemn the club regardless of how it pans out because it’s driven by pure greed. They have also lied outright to fans. 

37 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

The scheme does recognise loyalty, that’s why there’s the initial 750 ex-away season ticket/ more than 10 away games group

This was only introduced after the late meeting with fan groups who insisted the club put this in 

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

This was only introduced after the late meeting with fan groups who insisted the club put this in 

This. This was a forced measure introduced late to weather the storm but if anything it as resulted in more unfairness. It’s wrong in my view that someone who went to ten games (even if it’s the first time they ever managed it and they didn’t go to Carrow Road) is guaranteed a ticket to every game whereas someone who went to 9 could miss out on every game. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

How dare you apply common sense!

33 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

This. This was a forced measure introduced late to weather the storm but if anything it as resulted in more unfairness. It’s wrong in my view that someone who went to ten games (even if it’s the first time they ever managed it and they didn’t go to Carrow Road) is guaranteed a ticket to every game whereas someone who went to 9 could miss out on every game. 

Exactly Jim.

I'm consigned to my only away game this season being Oxford Utd in the EFL Cup!

Edited by Matt Juler

Maybe the club shouldn't just allow season ticket holders discount in the club shops and other places like riverside food outlets an' stuff?....It should be a level playing field, and those who've only attended one or two games and haven't a season ticket should also reap the benefits of season ticket holders, just show their matchday ticket.....Yeah......

There's an awful lot of entitlement being expressed on this thread. The old system was prioritising people as well, just based on who had the ability to go to more games and could afford the time/money to have a season ticket. Is that fair on exiles? People didn't **** about it then. Also, with fewer away games this season the points will be less of a differential as the season goes on (assuming they expired after x months).

I see the new membership scheme as more being an attempt to reduce the casuals who only want to go to the big games. Yes it could have been done better and certainly communicated more effectively but its an attempt to keep it fair. It is more subscribed than I imagine they thought it would be which causes problems, but then how would you manage the cap? Stagger the release of memberships according to points from last season? Or perhaps don't cap and offer a discount based on points, but only those from attending matches? Both could be considered fairer perhaps, but people would still moan about it...

8 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Maybe the club shouldn't just allow season ticket holders discount in the club shops and other places like riverside food outlets an' stuff?....It should be a level playing field, and those who've only attended one or two games and haven't a season ticket should also reap the benefits of season ticket holders, just show their matchday ticket.....Yeah......

It's a fair point. Paid my £50 membership for home games only to find most of the benefits in the so called benefits leaflet they sent with it only apply to season ticket holders.....

1 minute ago, cornish sam said:

There's an awful lot of entitlement being expressed on this thread. The old system was prioritising people as well, just based on who had the ability to go to more games and could afford the time/money to have a season ticket. Is that fair on exiles? People didn't **** about it then. Also, with fewer away games this season the points will be less of a differential as the season goes on (assuming they expired after x months).

I see the new membership scheme as more being an attempt to reduce the casuals who only want to go to the big games. Yes it could have been done better and certainly communicated more effectively but its an attempt to keep it fair. It is more subscribed than I imagine they thought it would be which causes problems, but then how would you manage the cap? Stagger the release of memberships according to points from last season? Or perhaps don't cap and offer a discount based on points, but only those from attending matches? Both could be considered fairer perhaps, but people would still moan about it...

I cannot believe the number of fans who just swallow any old cr*p the club comes out with and think it is anything to do with fairness. It is 100% about commercial revenues. Nothing do do with fairness at all. 

• Like 1