Sign in to follow this  
Jobsworth Canary

In Webber and Farke we believe

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

No such thing as a ‘free hit’ in football. 

I can see fans not getting too worked up by a drubbing by Liverpool or Man City, but a home defeat to Watford or Palace would certainly draw some out of the wood work. 

There seems to be quite a lot of expectation brewing up in some fans, many talking about a top half finish etc. I have no doubt that we will see quite a bit of squabbling on here and social media next season. 

I disagree about the free hit. I personally think that with what the club has achieved last season and the manner that it was done, the fans will be on side throughout the campaign irrelevant of results. It’s also worth noting that criticism on a message board after a bad performance is normally just blowing off steam and doesn’t mean people are coming out of the woodwork, trolls excluded 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Who is this 'guy'? 😉

I think it was a typo, he meant to say "gay".

I think there's a thread somewhere on here about gay people...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Pukki, is probably a once in a generation thing.  Pukki's don't grow on trees, else everyone would be doing it.

Is Buendia a once in a generation thing too?

And for the avoidance of doubt, Jobsworth Canary (AKA Waveney Canary/Canary from the Waveney Valley / Thorpe End Canary / River End Canary/ Marvin Fairlady / Lowestoft Canary / Norwich4life / Herr Flick /Humpty the canary / Wizard of Waveney / Canary fun and games / Haven Canary / Lowestoft Determined Canary / flake district canary / Down in the Chumps / Adnams Out / What Crisis? / Even Keel / King street canary / Chestnut canary / Ellie Goulding / Jeff butler / john thaw /John tree / Canary buffet / The beautiful south / Festive Canary /Canary Island / River End Canary / Lowestoft Canary / Hopeful Canary/ Valley Canary / Lilo Lill / dauphinoise Potatoes / The Phantom /Hector Prune / Harry Kidd / Alexander the Great / Toby Juggs /Norwich Crazy / Canary Fest / Canary Dogg / Stiflers Mom / Guy Burgess / Sir Anthony Blunt / Miss Bum Bum / Talented Canary / e /Canary Legend / Trawling canary / Canary from the Waveney Valley (2)/ Dave from Lowestoft / Stylish Canary / Earl of the Carra / Disco Dale / Prince of Darkness / Jinky Jim / Billy the Kid / Covert Canary/ Eaton Ron / Prolific Canary / Captain Canary / Canary World /Hector the Canary / The Bishop / Tiffani Banisters big city tips /Lord Nelson/ The Wise Shepherd / Victor Romanov / Wilfred Grimsdale /Canary Gigolo / Loyal Canary / Hull Canary / Mr Sausage / Punting Canary / The young canary / Glenn Medeiros / Jim the Canary / Barnes Wallis / Mr Cholmondley Warner / The Unsullied / Oliver Thorne / They call me the Chihauhau / Vanilla ice / Armitage Shanks / Canary Top Hat / Captain Birdseye / The Bin Slayer / Paston Canary / Norwich Market Canary / Chantelle the Canary / Jim the Canary / Tattoo / The Leatherman''s Stag / Mad Steve / Punctured Bicycle on a hillside desolate / Zander / X Fools / Man 2 Man / The Shining /Chippy Minton / Windy MIller / The Phantom Raspberry Blower / Water Closet / The Susan Boyle Fan Club / Splat the Cat / Rick O''Shea / Mr Hudson / Ploppy son of Ploppy / The voice of reasoned debate / Jim Bell) *

is a forum joker/massive troll - delete as appropriate.

*Credit- lappinitup

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, JF said:

I disagree about the free hit. I personally think that with what the club has achieved last season and the manner that it was done, the fans will be on side throughout the campaign irrelevant of results. It’s also worth noting that criticism on a message board after a bad performance is normally just blowing off steam and doesn’t mean people are coming out of the woodwork, trolls excluded 

I’ve rarely seen a team get a ‘free hit’ season. Maybe Blackpool when in the Prem got the closest.

I remember plenty of grumbling and complaining during the Worthington season in the Prem and that should have been even more of a free hit that this upcoming one will be. 

Expectations seem to be gradually building up and the team feels more hyped than any I can remember for a long time. 

Hopefully fans do keep their cool and see the bigger picture - but that isn’t something most fans are known for. 

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’ve rarely seen a team get a ‘free hit’ season. Maybe Blackpool when in the Prem got the closest.

I remember plenty of grumbling and complaining during the Worthington season in the Prem and that should have been even more of a free hit that this upcoming one will be. 

Expectations seem to be gradually building up and the team feels more hyped than any I can remember for a long time. 

Hopefully fans do keep their cool and see the bigger picture - but that isn’t something most fans are known for. 

Agreed. There's a huge feel good factor going on right now, and there seems to be a few expecting us to finish mid-table. As soon as reality kicks in after a tough first five games (Newcastle at home aside- and a failure to win that one will have the same consequence) then I think some people will turn. It's normal for fans of any club and it seems to particularly common for sections of our fanbase. A lot can change in football in a very short time.

24 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think Burnley in their first promotion under Dyche might also count. It seemed to be accepted that they would give it their best but they were likely to go back down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think Burnley in their first promotion under Dyche might also count. It seemed to be accepted that they would give it their best but they were likely to go back down.

Yes I'd say Burnley 100%

Looking back at the Worthington season, if after 10 or so games in the Prem you find your team is playing a centre-back as your starting striker, the club will have to accept there will be complaints... we're not talking about a Chris Sutton type change of position here....

9 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Looking back at the Worthington season, if after 10 or so games in the Prem you find your team is playing a centre-back as your starting striker, the club will have to accept there will be complaints... we're not talking about a Chris Sutton type change of position here....

To be fair, Doherty had played as a striker quite a lot before we bought him. 

58 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Ive already started to practice my booing.

Got a bit rusty recently.😉

Oh yeah I'm really hoping that sort of thing doesn't happen again.

It is my belief that one shouldn't boo their team. Last season, and I've said this many a time before, the goons in front of me were booing quite intensely after, I think, only our second game. Of course, this prompted me to shout a bit after the guy had continued to the bottom of the stairs in the lower Barclay (block D) where I was standing before leaving (still booing of course). He also got pretty shirty with an older guy I always get chatting to down there and I didn't take too kindly to that either.

Anyway, he called me a See You Next Tuesday and I nearly lost it.

I'm glad I didn't though as the last thing I want to do is have to get in a scrap with a fellow fan, because I ain't that tough (war of words is fine). But I must admit, I hope he feels stupid now.

More likely, though, is that he's warming up his booing chords for next season... Some people!

Edited by BobLoz3

35 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes I'd say Burnley 100%

I think it will be more than if we look out of our depth then there will be concerns raised about our summer business and the budget limitation we're working under.

I'm confident that won't be the case though.

45 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think it will be more than if we look out of our depth then there will be concerns raised about our summer business and the budget limitation we're working under.

I'm confident that won't be the case though.

That's a fair point.  We have no real experience of the Prem in this squad except for Krul (and Hanley) that I can think of.

There was one year where we were promoted and gave away a penalty per game in our first 5 games I think ?  The Prem works in a different way to the Champs.

I hope that people are realistic that it will take time to adjust.  Having said that, I'm optimistic this squad is better suited to the Prem than any Norwich City squad over the last 20 years.

Looking back, I'd say the promotion season after we went up with Lambert to the Prem was pretty much a freebie, because we went straight up from the Champs and had a squad who were very clearly 2nd tier players - how many of that squad ended up playing in the Prem with other teams, for any length of time,  I can only think of Surman ? 

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Is Buendia a once in a generation thing too?

And for the avoidance of doubt, Jobsworth Canary (AKA Waveney Canary/Canary from the Waveney Valley / Thorpe End Canary / River End Canary/ Marvin Fairlady / Lowestoft Canary / Norwich4life / Herr Flick /Humpty the canary / Wizard of Waveney / Canary fun and games / Haven Canary / Lowestoft Determined Canary / flake district canary / Down in the Chumps / Adnams Out / What Crisis? / Even Keel / King street canary / Chestnut canary / Ellie Goulding / Jeff butler / john thaw /John tree / Canary buffet / The beautiful south / Festive Canary /Canary Island / River End Canary / Lowestoft Canary / Hopeful Canary/ Valley Canary / Lilo Lill / dauphinoise Potatoes / The Phantom /Hector Prune / Harry Kidd / Alexander the Great / Toby Juggs /Norwich Crazy / Canary Fest / Canary Dogg / Stiflers Mom / Guy Burgess / Sir Anthony Blunt / Miss Bum Bum / Talented Canary / e /Canary Legend / Trawling canary / Canary from the Waveney Valley (2)/ Dave from Lowestoft / Stylish Canary / Earl of the Carra / Disco Dale / Prince of Darkness / Jinky Jim / Billy the Kid / Covert Canary/ Eaton Ron / Prolific Canary / Captain Canary / Canary World /Hector the Canary / The Bishop / Tiffani Banisters big city tips /Lord Nelson/ The Wise Shepherd / Victor Romanov / Wilfred Grimsdale /Canary Gigolo / Loyal Canary / Hull Canary / Mr Sausage / Punting Canary / The young canary / Glenn Medeiros / Jim the Canary / Barnes Wallis / Mr Cholmondley Warner / The Unsullied / Oliver Thorne / They call me the Chihauhau / Vanilla ice / Armitage Shanks / Canary Top Hat / Captain Birdseye / The Bin Slayer / Paston Canary / Norwich Market Canary / Chantelle the Canary / Jim the Canary / Tattoo / The Leatherman''s Stag / Mad Steve / Punctured Bicycle on a hillside desolate / Zander / X Fools / Man 2 Man / The Shining /Chippy Minton / Windy MIller / The Phantom Raspberry Blower / Water Closet / The Susan Boyle Fan Club / Splat the Cat / Rick O''Shea / Mr Hudson / Ploppy son of Ploppy / The voice of reasoned debate / Jim Bell) *

is a forum joker/massive troll - delete as appropriate.

*Credit- lappinitup

Unlike Pukki, Buendia wasn't free.  He cost us an initial transfer fee of circa £1.5m and, if reports are accurate, a further fee of a few more million upon promotion.

The only thing that I will grumble about is if we go down because obvious defensive issues we can all see (conceding from counter attacks, set pieces and immediately after scoring - see Brentford friendly threads) are not addressed at all and it ends up costing us.

i realise financially we are limited and we can’t resolve these issues with the cheque book but I do expect a coach of Farkes calibre to be able to identify these areas for improvement and try and improve them. We will always concede goals but we need to cut out some of the sloppiness this season or it will undermine our many strengths. 

Regardless of this season, this has been a superb double act, there’s a massive chance we will relegated, the recruitment has been measured, lots of youngsters of massive potential added to the under 23 squad, a free Swiss international striker, a loan from Man City.....

This season is a showcases for our youngsters, no doubt there will be a few eyes cast in our direction to see how they perform, the trouble will come either way, successful or not......have a mare of a start and come January everyone will be saying we have a championship squad not good enough, have a great run to December and those eyes will be buying our youngsters who have shown they are premiership quality!

Personally it’s a free season, we have the best Championship squad from last year, we won that league so no arguments there’s. We’ve not sold anyone from our first team, they will now have the chance they all deserve to play against the best in the world.

I don’t think we’ll find it easy, we have a lot of young players who are still learning and developing, it’s a squad with little top flight football but we do have experienced players who have played top flight in other countries and they will no doubt have an influence on the team.

Looking forward to a season to see where we are, how good we are and how well Farke can deal with the best in the world.

Stay up or relegated Farke & Webber will be here come next year in my opinion, it’s better to stick with a good set up continually improving our squad quality through youth development than to change again!

On 23/07/2019 at 12:27, lappinitup said:

As somebody in that age group and someone who has always defended Delia invariably against people MUCH younger than me, I think to highlight a particular age group is completely wrong Hoggy.

Haters always gonna hate whatever their age.

Yeah those who currently attend the 'University of Mothercare' and have been around a bit, seen the world, and have a plethora of life experiences, maybe personally repaired their broken wheels on their designer pushchairs and buggies. They've probably also changed their own 'diapers' (for our American cousins) possess an iron grip that opens their heinz  jars of baby grub (although other baby sources of nourishment are available) and confidently sterilize their milky bottles and make up their own feed..... Those bairns could certainly teach the old fogies with their archaic thinking and attitude a thing or two about life......T'internet, is the new life experience......and Young 'uns have the edge......Age isn't just a number......but younger folk certainly know best.....  

On 23/07/2019 at 12:27, lappinitup said:

As somebody in that age group and someone who has always defended Delia invariably against people MUCH younger than me, I think to highlight a particular age group is completely wrong Hoggy.

Haters always gonna hate whatever their age.

Agreed. It's so easy to bracket people with labels.  For every old f*rt out there, there is a young t*sser.  It's all about balance.

🙂

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Regardless of this season, this has been a superb double act, there’s a massive chance we will relegated, the recruitment has been measured, lots of youngsters of massive potential added to the under 23 squad, a free Swiss international striker, a loan from Man City.....

This season is a showcases for our youngsters, no doubt there will be a few eyes cast in our direction to see how they perform, the trouble will come either way, successful or not......have a mare of a start and come January everyone will be saying we have a championship squad not good enough, have a great run to December and those eyes will be buying our youngsters who have shown they are premiership quality!

Personally it’s a free season, we have the best Championship squad from last year, we won that league so no arguments there’s. We’ve not sold anyone from our first team, they will now have the chance they all deserve to play against the best in the world.

I don’t think we’ll find it easy, we have a lot of young players who are still learning and developing, it’s a squad with little top flight football but we do have experienced players who have played top flight in other countries and they will no doubt have an influence on the team.

Looking forward to a season to see where we are, how good we are and how well Farke can deal with the best in the world.

Stay up or relegated Farke & Webber will be here come next year in my opinion, it’s better to stick with a good set up continually improving our squad quality through youth development than to change again!

I have a feeling that we need to get plenty of pre-Christmas points on the board before our limitations our fully figured out by opposition coaching teams. It could well be a struggle from January on to reach the lauded "40" figure. Survival alone is the realistic target for first season back, particularly on the quoted budget; anything above 17th is a bonus. The squad have earned their crack but there can be no denying our vulnerability from counters, from corners, from free-kicks, pacy runners from deep midfield etc. Attacking full-backs supported by a disciplined midfield looks to be Farke's formula. It remains to be seen whether we have the personnel to implement this philosophy in the top flight. I believe we have the ability to cause problems to most teams this season if we get a bit of luck with injuries, but the concession rate is my worry. What does DF have up his sleeve to tighten up defensively without too much sacrificing in the attacking third? Every club seeks a Kante-esque defensive midfielder to 'mind the house'  - they're hard to find! Leitner (if fit) is looking like a first-choice come August. Is Tommy Trybull the man to perform all the dirty work? Supported by the experienced Tettey? If we're banking on the luckless Louis Thompson to fill in, things could get very tricky. Vrancic & McLean will be hoping for plenty of game-time over the season. Further up the field, Stiepermann won't get as much time or space to penetrate, Hernandez will need to be more clinical (if a starter) and reliance on Pukki to pick up where he left off is no guarantee. 

There will most likely be some difficult periods throughout the season but most will surely 'support' through these tricky periods. My personal view is that we have enough to just about avoid relegation, if we get a bit of luck with injuries. But I do agree with the "oft-advertised" notion throughout this forum that another addition in the central midfield area (i.e. an enforcer!) would ease my concerns above & help to enable the attacking qualities already present in the current squad.