Sign in to follow this  
Jobsworth Canary

In Webber and Farke we believe

As a serial miserablist I am often highly critical of how the club has been run.

not this summer. I don’t think they have put a foot wrong both in building the under 23s and adding to the first team. New contracts  for our best players 

almost perfect except giving Cantwell a new contract with will prove a colossal waste of money but he can be flogged to someone like ipswich if needs be

• Sad 1

I think, apart from your assessment of Todd, most people would agree with you. I'm just waiting for our first drubbing, which will come at some point, to see the reaction from all the melts, who just can't wait to get stuck into Delia, Webber, Farke, the kit man, you name it. 

Interesting that this time last year, we'd just sold our best player to balance the books, brought in some freebies, journeymen and loans and had little expectation. 

Next up, the European Champions.... bring it on!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I think, apart from your assessment of Todd, most people would agree with you. I'm just waiting for our first drubbing, which will come at some point, to see the reaction from all the melts, who just can't wait to get stuck into Delia, Webber, Farke, the kit man, you name it. 

Interesting that this time last year, we'd just sold our best player to balance the books, brought in some freebies, journeymen and loans and had little expectation. 

Next up, the European Champions.... bring it on!

It’s going to be delightful to watch the naysayers come out from under the rocks and lose their perspective.

I am truly looking forward to watching the test against teams who know how to posses the ball and break us down. From those games the team will only learn and grow stronger. 

There will be teams that smash us. There will be teams that grind us down. There will be teams that get the favorable calls. And, there will be teams that we take it to them and play a phenomenal game of football.

My guy still says 13th.

• Like 1

Just wait until we are joint top of the league heading into the Man City game ...  

• Like 2

I agreed with OP as I started reading this.

Then the random, unprovoked and Todd hate - Kind of lost credibility for me.

I'm aware this view isn't held by everyone, but it does strike me as odd how some jump on the back of a 21 year old local lad with potential, instead of just getting behind him and seeing where it goes. Do you trust Farke and Webber explicitly, until it comes to Todd? Sure he has much to learn, but what an odd scapegoat in a time where we don't really need a scapegoat.

No pleasing some people.

• Like 3

I can’t see anyone turning after our first, second, third or how ever many drubbings. The club, management and players have brought themselves a free hit at this season with their achievements of last. As for the Cantwell comments, in all honesty I wouldn’t expect him to feature much this season and may end up on loan to further his development 

10 minutes ago, JF said:

I can’t see anyone turning after our first, second, third or how ever many drubbings. The club, management and players have brought themselves a free hit at this season with their achievements of last. 

We won the League last season and there were plenty of examples of people 'turning'. I hope you're right JF, but I don't have much faith. 

24 minutes ago, JF said:

I can’t see anyone turning after our first, second, third or how ever many drubbings. The club, management and players have brought themselves a free hit at this season with their achievements of last. As for the Cantwell comments, in all honesty I wouldn’t expect him to feature much this season and may end up on loan to further his development 

No such thing as a ‘free hit’ in football. 

I can see fans not getting too worked up by a drubbing by Liverpool or Man City, but a home defeat to Watford or Palace would certainly draw some out of the wood work. 

There seems to be quite a lot of expectation brewing up in some fans, many talking about a top half finish etc. I have no doubt that we will see quite a bit of squabbling on here and social media next season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I can see fans not getting too worked up by a drubbing by Liverpool or Man City, but a home defeat to Watford or Palace would certainly draw some out of the wood work. 

There seems to be quite a lot of expectation brewing up in some fans, many talking about a top half finish etc. I have no doubt that we will see quite a bit of squabbling on here and social media next season. 

Will no doubt be a cry fest on here after the first few games.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That would be a real shame. 

Can't really understand the expectation thing. It's football and anything can happen.  We could finish bottom, we could finish top, or anywhere in between.  That is why some see it as a free hit - there ought to be no expectations - just give it our best shot and whatever happens, happens. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That would be a real shame. 

Can't really understand the expectation thing. It's football and anything can happen.  We could finish bottom, we could finish top, or anywhere in between.  That is why some see it as a free hit - there ought to be no expectations - just give it our best shot and whatever happens, happens. 

That's the way it should be- but it won't.

This forum isn't too bad generally, but if you look through the club's social media channels then they're full of moaners who complain at the drop of a hat. They seem to get off on it. As soon as we lose a couple of games social media will be unbearable.

Hopefully we will give it our best shot.  Hopefully more players will come in, because even in our position, spending just £750k is not giving it our best shot.

4 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Hopefully we will give it our best shot.  Hopefully more players will come in, because even in our position, spending just £750k is not giving it our best shot.

The new contracts, loan fees etc paying down debt etc we will have spent a fair amount of the cash already 

2 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

....spending just £750k is not giving it our best shot.

Spending is no guarantee of success though nbs.....

RVW or Pukki?

• Like 1

Certainly can’t complain too much with things so far, including Todd (a slightly strange dislike coming through there!); I’m sure things are still ongoing on a couple of fronts as SW has said there will be some that take a while and IMO we do need a bit of depth/competition/improving in a couple of areas.

IMO, this season is already a success whatever happens. We're financially secure with four good additions to an already successful squad and a long term plan in place. 

It's interesting that Frank Lampard bucked pundit convention to predict us finishing 11th, Villa four places lower and Sheffield United bottom. He's not convinced that money buys success. 

44 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think it depends on a few things.

If we go down but we go down with a fight and run it close then I think people will be OK with that.

If we spend most of the season bottom of the league and go down with whimper then I think fans will look to the boardroom and ask questions.

I do think the budgetary constraints will potentially give Webber and Farke something like a free hit, as Neil generally seemed to get in his one season in the Premier League.

I totally agree that spending is no guarantee of success.  But equally it is not as black and white as spend £100m and you'll do a Fulham, spend very little and you may do no worse than Fulham and could well do even better.  £100m can be spent either recklessly or wisely.

I love the fact that we are strengthing the youth, the U23s, the facilities at Colney.  This is wise future planning and creating strong foundations upon which future success will hopefully be built.

I also believe there comes a point where you have to spend money.  All £8m signings aren't RVWs and all freebies aren't Pukki's.  I think for success in the PL, which for me, for us, would be staying there for a few seasons, you need to spend money.  Pukki, is probably a once in a generation thing.  Pukki's don't grow on trees, else everyone would be doing it.

The important thing is how the money is spent, how that player will fit into the team and the philosophy of the club.  By spending money, that doesn't mean spend £15m - £20m each on a couple of players.  We won't do that, we can't do that.  But it might mean spend, £3m, £4m, £5m, £6m, £7m each on a couple of players, who fit where we need them, into the club, into the philosophy and even though we have spent money on them, they may well turn out to be bargains, because we have spent the money wisely, on the right player, at the right price.

I'm hoping for a 'performance' against Liverpool, some positives, but expect to lose. 

The Newcastle home game, however, could be the key to unlock our season. 

Important to remember that our fanbase does consist of people such as those on the Facebook groups. I regularly get in 'arguments' with 60 year old grown men, even yesterday, that want 'evil, greedy Delia out of my club and now' because she's 'stolen all the money' and 'pretended we've spent money when we haven't and 'treated fans awfully' and 'messed up every good thing that luck has thrown their way'.

So based on that I give it 4 weeks into the new season until that sort of person returns on here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I regularly get in 'arguments' with 60 year old grown men, even yesterday, that want 'evil, greedy Delia out of my club and now' because she's 'stolen all the money' and 'pretended we've spent money when we haven't and 'treated fans awfully' and 'messed up every good thing that luck has thrown their way'.

So based on that I give it 4 weeks into the new season until that sort of person returns on here.

As somebody in that age group and someone who has always defended Delia invariably against people MUCH younger than me, I think to highlight a particular age group is completely wrong Hoggy.

Haters always gonna hate whatever their age.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

I agreed with OP as I started reading this.

Then the random, unprovoked and Todd hate - Kind of lost credibility for me.

I'm aware this view isn't held by everyone, but it does strike me as odd how some jump on the back of a 21 year old local lad with potential, instead of just getting behind him and seeing where it goes. Do you trust Farke and Webber explicitly, until it comes to Todd? Sure he has much to learn, but what an odd scapegoat in a time where we don't really need a scapegoat.

No pleasing some people.

I agree with this. I am a little surprised how little criticism the original message has received for the unnecessary statement about Todd.

2 hours ago, JF said:

I can’t see anyone turning after our first, second, third or how ever many drubbings. The club, management and players have brought themselves a free hit at this season with their achievements of last.

I'd like to think you were correct but I'm pretty certain you're not. There will, without question, be people complaining at the first loss, even though it will (likely) be to Liverpool. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think it depends on a few things.

If we go down but we go down with a fight and run it close then I think people will be OK with that.

If we spend most of the season bottom of the league and go down with whimper then I think fans will look to the boardroom and ask questions.

I do think the budgetary constraints will potentially give Webber and Farke something like a free hit, as Neil generally seemed to get in his one season in the Premier League.

Exactly this. I hate seeing us lose but I can stomach it if it's with a bit of fire and having a go at winning. Virtually the only way I will turn against it is we adopt a Hughton-esque approach of "We're only losing 1-0, lets all stand on the goal line and make sure it doesn't become 2-0". Lose giving it our best and having a go is acceptable whilst not preferable, losing with a whimper is not.

Personally, I think this team will definitely give it a go. I can't see them sitting back when they have opportunities. The point is, we won't get as many attacking opportunities in a lot of the games, nowhere near as many as last season anyway.

Our forwards will have to be clinical, so it's fortunate we have one of, if not the, most clinical finisher I've ever seen in a Norwich shirt in Pukki.

We won't be there just to make up the numbers.

Edited by BobLoz3

41 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Important to remember that our fanbase does consist of people such as those on the Facebook groups. I regularly get in 'arguments' with 60 year old grown men, even yesterday, that want 'evil, greedy Delia out of my club and now' because she's 'stolen all the money' and 'pretended we've spent money when we haven't and 'treated fans awfully' and 'messed up every good thing that luck has thrown their way'.

31 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

As somebody in that age group and someone who has always defended Delia invariably against people MUCH younger than me, I think to highlight a particular age group is completely wrong Hoggy.

Haters always gonna hate whatever their age.

I also get into regular arguments with 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60-year-old idiots on Facebook over those type of comments, although I've been cutting down recently. I know what Hogesar is trying to say, as I nodded in agreement when I read it, but I see Lapps' point about it being ageist (what a snowflake!!*).

However, speaking as someone in their 20s (just), the 60-year-old idiots who post that type of nonsense should really know better. You can understand a 14-year-old making irrational knee-jerk comments as they may not be mature enough to make informed decisions (another ageist comment, I know) but grown adults should have the intelligence to not make them.

This is why I prefer this board to social media when it comes to Norwich City. The majority of posters may be a generation or two older than me, but at least the majority of them have their heads screwed on.

But I do fear that the idiots who enjoy piping up only when the team is struggling will turn up on this board within a couple of months, unfortunately. Unless we're in the top half (highly unlikely) they just won't be able to resist sharing their 'I told you two years ago that Farke/Delia was no good, such and such a player is crap, this style of management structure will never work' comments.

*Comment made in jest

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 2

I've no doubt that some posters with "Big" in their name or named after some of our worst ever strikers from decades past will return as soon as we start to suffer some defeats, but they're pure trolls and not real fans.

We were incredibly spoilt last season with only 2 defeats from November to the end of the season.  How many seasons have City achieved that sort of record ? 

Next season even if we do really well, we are going to have a lot more defeats and I'm sure this messageaboard will settle down into a more usual pattern with a lot of complaints after every defeat, that's just life.

But hopefully plenty of fans will recognise what we've achieved by getting promotion with a squad put together on such a minimal budget.  Farke is new to the Prem and we can expect that inexperience to show sometimes, as it did in the Championship in his first season.  So I do hope he will get plenty of patience from a lot of the fanbase, in football that's as good as it gets.

• Like 1