17 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Something" responses never seem to work.

Let's just chill. It's been a long day and even homophobic racists need to relax occasionally.

"Genuine chopper "as Alfred Hitchcock used to say to aspiring actresses.

"Real axe."

Happy to leave it there.

While we're on the subject would anyone care to come out as gay on this thread? 

Maybe not. Why should a footballer do so unless they are being oppressed? 

There's now a 2nd one started off the back of the first one saying that he's changed his mind, and named himself.

It's bad enough if the first one was a hoax, but for someone to do it again and actually name someone is really out of order.

1 hour ago, Unhinged Canary said:

There's now a 2nd one started off the back of the first one saying that he's changed his mind, and named himself.

It's bad enough if the first one was a hoax, but for someone to do it again and actually name someone is really out of order.

Really sad, this whole affair. I'm convinced that when the first gay footballer comes out publicly, others will follow quickly. It won't take long for the inevitable homophobic chanting to be nipped in the bud, and hopefully after that it will cease to be 'a thing'.

https://news.sky.com/story/justin-fashanus-niece-disheartned-as-gay-footballer-twitter-account-is-deleted-11769292

For me it feels like a non-event. I don't care if a footballer is gay, straight, white, black, Martian.... As long as they give their best effort for the club then what they get up to in their spare time just isn't an issue for me. 

The saddest thing about this whole situation is precisely that it had to be a big deal. It's 2019 for God's sake. 

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

For me it feels like a non-event. I don't care if a footballer is gay, straight, white, black, Martian.... As long as they give their best effort for the club then what they get up to in their spare time just isn't an issue for me. 

The saddest thing about this whole situation is precisely that it had to be a big deal. It's 2019 for God's sake. 

Yeah this is kind of what the 11 pages before this had been discussing. Oh, until it went off track of course and people started slinging insults around (probably 5 pages of that!)

The point is, which has been missed over and over again, is that it doesn't matter what we think. Many of us aren't phased by someone's $exual orientation, colour, creed...blah de blah. We know that.

The point was that a footballer coming out as gay would be good for the sport. To, hopefully, alleviate some of the worries that gay pro footballers may have in coming out and therefore carrying a lot of weight around on their shoulders and perhaps struggling with depression etc.

The fact that this account was started and looked legit got a lot of people talking. Some may have had reasonably archaic views, others were more open to it. But the point is, people were talking about it. And whatever an individual's views are on it, that's the bit that doesn't matter! The most important part to consider are the emotions of the actual person thinking about coming out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

...I draw the line at martian, we have to think about our homegrown player quota within the squad?!

• Haha 5

Whoever is behind this hoax they have effectively played all of you craven virtue signalling narcissists like a harp. 

You are all too desperate to emote you jumped the gun and swallowed it hook line and sinker. 

People's sexualities are their own business, its the person that counts and people are more than just their sexual orientation. 

This virtuous witch hunt is actually counterproductive, bordering on stalking or harassment. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...I draw the line at martian, we have to think about our homegrown player quota within the squad?!

Racist.

22 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Whoever is behind this hoax they have effectively played all of you craven virtue signalling narcissists like a harp. 

You are all too desperate to emote you jumped the gun and swallowed it hook line and sinker. 

People's sexualities are their own business, its the person that counts and people are more than just their sexual orientation. 

This virtuous witch hunt is actually counterproductive, bordering on stalking or harassment. 

Let's not go there today, eh? This is just restarting the same circular argument from yesterday. Let's move on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Caring about gay rights makes you a virtue signaling narcissist? OK.

Accusing someone of virtue signalling is hypocritical, as you’re saying that you are above them, thereby signalling your own virtue.

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well this has all gone swimmingly.

Yes, the inability of some to handle real discussion and debate has ruined this thread. The real point is that it should not be a big thing to say you are gay these days, but it plainly is difficult, especially in a sport where it no-one has come out publicy.  Do they need to come out publicly?  I don't know, I tend to think not - their friends and colleagues will probably know anyway and that is all that matters - but if they do feel the need to do it publicly because it will help them be more open about it away from football,  then that is good.  I guess the first one to do it publicly will get more attention, but then it could free up many more to also come out publicly.

It is a very personal issue and one that should be handled with sensitivity on all sides - snowflakes take note.

I know he announced it just as he was going back to the US, but there was a lad, Robbie someone who came out wasn’t there ? I don’t remember there being a massive reaction to it

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Do they need to come out publicly?  I don't know, I tend to think not - their friends and colleagues will probably know anyway and that is all that matters

But that isn't all that matters.

Take our lap of honour for instance- most players parade around with their wives and kids. Would a gay player be comfortable doing the same with their boyfriend if they hadn't come out? Or if they wanted to get married would they feel they could post photos on instagram where fans follow them without publicly coming out? Or even go out for dinner in the City they play in they'd be spotted by fans- how quickly would rumour spread if they were seen out holding hands with their boyfriend without coming out.

These are all things that we as heterosexuals take for granted. Because the default is straight and gay is 'different' then coming out matters. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I know he announced it just as he was going back to the US, but there was a lad, Robbie someone who came out wasn’t there ? I don’t remember there being a massive reaction to it

Robbie Rogers.... Used to play for Leeds and then went on to LA. I actually forgot about him, so that's rather indicative in itself. It really doesn't matter.

May be one of the reasons Robbie Keane has been so...umm...keen to support this cause.

13 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Robbie Rogers.... Used to play for Leeds and then went on to LA. I actually forgot about him, so that's rather indicative in itself. It really doesn't matter.

May be one of the reasons Robbie Keane has been so...umm...keen to support this cause.

Not all people called Robbie are gay, you know.

19 minutes ago, king canary said:
32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Do they need to come out publicly?  I don't know, I tend to think not - their friends and colleagues will probably know anyway and that is all that matters

But that isn't all that matters.

Take our lap of honour for instance- most players parade around with their wives and kids. Would a gay player be comfortable doing the same with their boyfriend if they hadn't come out? Or if they wanted to get married would they feel they could post photos on instagram where fans follow them without publicly coming out? Or even go out for dinner in the City they play in they'd be spotted by fans- how quickly would rumour spread if they were seen out holding hands with their boyfriend without coming out.

These are all things that we as heterosexuals take for granted. Because the default is straight and gay is 'different' then coming out matters. 

Imo they should just do it - I mean be seen in public with a partner, or get married - then it is clear to everyone they are just going about things normally - ok it will spur some gossip/comment, but imo that is a much better way of showing the world who you are than "coming out" which to me seems a bit out dated and unecessasry - actions speak louder than words.

54 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Let's not go there today, eh? This is just restarting the same circular argument from yesterday. Let's move on.

So why do you keep posting on the subject then wolfie ?  As you said leave it and move on.

Just now, lake district canary said:

Imo they should just do it - I mean be seen in public with a partner, or get married - then it is clear to everyone they are just going about things normally - ok it will spur some gossip/comment, but imo that is a much better way of showing the world who you are than "coming out" which to me seems a bit out dated and unecessasry - actions speak louder than words.

That is easy for you to say though. As a straight person you've never had to wrestle with this and neither have I. For my gay friends though I know coming out was a big deal that took a lot of soul searching and courage- for a public figure I'd imagine that is amplified and even more so for a male footballer in this country where he'd be the first person.

There is a great episode of South Park where one of the kids is trying to understand why his black friend is so hurt by his dad using the 'n word.' Eventually he has something of an epiphany that as hard he tries he just can't 'get it' because he isn't black. This is similar. It is easy for a straight person to say coming out shouldn't be a big deal because it isn't something they'll ever really understand. In these circumstances I tend to take the word of the people from the group because they know more than I do. 

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not all people called Robbie are gay, you know.

😂 I meant more that he was a former team mate of Rogers

Just now, BobLoz3 said:

😂 I meant more that he was a former team mate of Rogers

I knew what you meant, I was just trying to add a bit of levity to the situation 🙂

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I knew what you meant, I was just trying to add a bit of levity to the situation 🙂

Just clearing it up in case somebody misinterpreted it... You know, that barely ever happens on here but better to be safe than sorry 😊

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So why do you keep posting on the subject then wolfie ?  As you said leave it and move on.

I'm happy to post, but don't want to get into any more confrontations on the subject. I contributed to making a big mess on this thread yesterday, and it's too hot for an argument today 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm happy to post, but don't want to get into any more confrontations on the subject. I contributed to making a big mess on this thread yesterday, and it's too hot for an argument today 🙂

Six posts since you got up this morning tends to suggest otherwise but hey just my opinion.