I'm amazed at the patience of the likes of Bethnal, King Canary and many many others who try to reason with  and dare to gently tease BroadstairsR. For me this guy is way beyond help or deserving of any responses from reasonable people . The nicest thing I could say about him is that he's stubborn. Anything else is unprintable. 

He has to edit almost every post of his that's more than a sentence long, yet he couldn't be bothered to edit the word that many people view as offensive that he used on the cricket thread nearly six weeks ago. I haven't lived in the UK for the best part of 30 years, but I am fully aware that in the UK that word is considered very offensive, even though it may have been adopted by young pakistanis as a term to re-enforce comradery, just like some gay people have adopted offensive terms like queer. I've lived in Pakistan, and it's not a term that has any negative connotations from what I'm aware, but in the UK I have only every heard it used in a very negative way. Even if his intention wasn't to cause any offense, any decent person would still have edited the offending word, regardless. Other posters who have inadvertently used words or expressions that they hadn't realised might cause offense have reacted far more maturely.

As for footballers coming out, I think it is still very important, for the simple reason that most young players trying to break into the professional game are of the age when they are also establishing their sexual identity. Coming out is still a huge step for most young people, even in today's  tolerant society. For aspiring footballers who are gay, to be aware that others before have already trodden the path is a massive reassurance. In the past, I am sure that the homophobic culture within the game would have held back many gay players, and many who would have felt totally uncomfortable in the team culture. Look at the abuse dished out to Graeme Le Saux and others for just being different. Bethnal's post about how Ruel Fox was inspired by the likes of Cyrille Regis sums up why it's such a positive and necessary thing.  

I'm aware that it's not necessary for any individual in the public spotlight to have to make any public statement about their sexuality, and it is probably more than enough for the person concerned to be out to their immediate friends / family and colleagues. However, a public announcement has the benefit of helping others and to further move the sport in an inclusive and positive direction.  

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Are you for real?

All you've done is just confirmed everything I have recently written.

After that nonsense I need to give up. A tirade of assumption, abuse and ignorance is all you seem capable of.

What the eff is the "middle distance" and furthermore if what I originally said was a "patently racist" epithet (nb) then you have a lot to learn.

I get the impression that you do not really know what proper racism is all about. It's not just about a single word used on a footie foru, that's for sure.

What stupid exaggerated childishness.

Grow up fella. You seem to have spent the entire day boosting your blood pressure.

And, in turn, you have just confirmed about eight pages' worth of a myriad of people trying to talk some sense into you.

Maybe you could enlighten me as to what "proper" racism is all about? Are you harking back to the "glory days" of the 1970s when you could spout your bigoted filth without being challenged by "snowflakes" who think racist and homophobic rhetoric has no place in modern society? And yes, I stand by my assertion that the word you used is a patently racist epithet. In fact, if memory serves, yet again a huge number of people patiently tried to point this out to you while you got out your biggest spade and carried on digging.

Oh, and here's a freebie; the "middle distance" is the area between the foreground and the background in a painting. This term is sometimes used to describe someone who is staring blankly; maybe you've heard "staring into the void" or "thousand-yard stare"? You could easily have found that out by utilising a search engine, of course, but it comes as no surprise to me that you have difficulty in educating yourself.

Excellent post Makham, unfortunately,  Broado will most likely turn on you next. Decrying you for being an idiot , not understanding the nature of his higher intelligence  based opinions on race( too complex for us mortals to understand) homosexuality ( again, we failed to grasp that although he can't stomach seeing  two men kiss, he's not  homophobic) and any other subject that ruffles his pink trouser wearing ( I'm guessing at the pink trousers)ruddy faced, apoplecticly indignant  persona . I see he has already posted again I  the time it's taken me to write this. I wonder if I am right that you are his next target. Let's see as I post this and read what's  happened .

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh dear. Another one.Join the club. Tea and biscuits will be served in a few minutes

So what was makham's post, if not a carefully considered and well-argued contribution? But nah, you're happy to distil it into a throwaway sentence about... biscuits? Keep going, this is just fantastic.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Excellent post Makham, unfortunately,  Broado will most likely turn on you next. Decrying you for being an idiot , not understanding the nature of his higher intelligence  based opinions on race( too complex for us mortals to understand) homosexuality ( again, we failed to grasp that although he can't stomach seeing  two men kiss, he's not  homophobic) and any other subject that ruffles his pink trouser wearing ( I'm guessing at the pink trousers)ruddy faced, apoplecticly indignant  persona . I see he has already posted again I  the time it's taken me to write this. I wonder if I am right that you are his next target. Let's see as I post this and read what's  happened .

Hahahaha he was way ahead of you, Corko. Something about biscuits... 😄

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh dear. Another one.Join the club. Tea and biscuits will be served in a few 

Yep,  thought so .not so insulting or condescending  though.  Give him time he'll  not let us down.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Truth.

Unfortunately, even though I've blocked Lakey, I can still see when people quote him... have to say it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he's waded in on the side of the minority of one. I'm leaving this thread well alone, and suggest we now leave the homophobic dinosaurs to their antiquated views... they'll die with those views irrespective of anything anyone else says.

Sorry about that Wolfy 🙄

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Hahahaha he was way ahead of you, Corko. Something about biscuits... 😄

I wish I could type as fast as I think Wolfo.  This guy is approximately the same age as me yet comes across like Capt Mainwaring  from Dads Army. Utterly ridiculous!

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Sorry about that Wolfy 🙄

Not your fault. As you can see, I can't leave this thread alone - I actually started it, so with hindsight I'm not going to back down and let the bigots win. Let's try to get it back on topic, though - ie. about the possibility of a Norwich player coming out this week, rather than our personal opinions on homosexuality/gay rights.

We could bait Broady endlessly, as he'll never back down, but I think it's probably time to go back to the original intention of this topic before it gets pulled...

Am I expected to read that ramble and then take it to heart?

I've given up under a tirade of abuse, 'stubborn' being the latest example.

I'm lying on my back saying "come and get me" because I've discovered the hard way that anything I say is met with a brick wall of uncompromising prejudice.

This homophobic racist has learnt to never have the nerve to express the slightest opinion which does not conform to the mantra of political correctness and instant offence.

We all have to be intellectual babies nowadays it seems. There's a well set formula that has to be adhered to, and  veer from that and they will be upon you from every direction. Every thing you say is pompous and easily dismissed because it is unread.

Of course they would't really have any way of knowing the truth of the matter, but then it's always the easy way out to adhere to the herd mentality.

Your turn now LDC.

😀 Well this board is at it's worst right now.  The snowflake politically corrects have it.  There is only black and white and no discussion to be had, reasonable or otherwise on the subject.   It's the same with the race question.  They only want to see what they want to see and don't dare anybody question it, or they will be villified.  I've tried as I always do to try and show understanding on both sides, tried to get some proper discussion going, but it was a waste of time. 

• Like 1

Advice LDC, stay away.

They are working themselves up into a frenzy.

They just love being indignant.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'm lying on my back saying "come and get me" because I've discovered the hard way that anything I say is met with a brick wall of uncompromising prejudice.

This homophobic racist has learnt to never have the nerve to express the slightest opinion which does not conform to the mantra of political correctness and instant offence.

We all have to be intellectual babies nowadays it seems. There's a well set formula that has to be adhered to, and  veer from that and they will be upon you from every direction. Every thing you say is pompous and easily dismissed because it is unread.

Of course they would't really have any way of knowing the truth of the matter, but then it's always the easy way out to adhere to the herd mentality.

Your turn now LDC.

Complains about “snowflakes”.

Thinks being called “stubborn” is abusive.

Are you a parody account?

• Like 1

I'm approaching 60 and I have lived through the period of emancipation which has brought us to where we are today which is a very different world to the one I grew up in. 

Many older people can take credit for these societal changes which were brought about despite broadly held deep seated attitudes. 

Those people you saw cheering Freddie Mercury in 1985 are around my age and did so despite bigoted news media. 

I remember Terence Higgins collapsing in 'Heaven' the emergence of Aids; decriminalisation; Stonewall; the sensationalist headlines when a celebrity 'came out' and, of course, Justin Fashanu getting dogs abuse which had he been known to be gay would have been even worse. The day we sold him for 1m to Brian Clough's Forest began his downfall imho. 

I dislike bullies and bullying in all forms.

I like the education system to teach how to think, not what to think. 

I like people to be comfortable with each other and I don't like diversive terms like 'the LGBT community.' 

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Your turn now LDC.

Ha ha playing the victim card now!!! You are being ridiculed because of your opinions,  not because  of  your race or sexuality therefore you are not being victimised. You say that you are laying down, I say ,you made that bed for yourself  to lay in...and you're welcome to it.

1 minute ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Complains about “snowflakes”.

Thinks being called “stubborn” is abusive.

Are you a parody account?

Are you an idiot? (Question not statement.)

Please try harder.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Are you an idiot? (Question not statement.)

Please try harder.

I’ll admit to being an idiot, if you admit to being a bigoted old man.

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not your fault. As you can see, I can't leave this thread alone - I actually started it, so with hindsight I'm not going to back down and let the bigots win. Let's try to get it back on topic, though - ie. about the possibility of a Norwich player coming out this week, rather than our personal opinions on homosexuality/gay rights.

We could bait Broady endlessly, as he'll never back down, but I think it's probably time to go back to the original intention of this topic before it gets pulled...

Are you confident you started this thread for reasons other than self-engrandisment?

Are you confident it wasn't just to put yourself on a pedestal or in an ivory tower. 

Someone's public sexuality is a sensitive issue, are you happy you aren't hijacking it for your own gain? 

• Like 1

"Ha ha playing the victim card now!!"

Who on earth is the supposed to mean,  be the "victim?"

Do you always have to come up with such second hand expressions? Are you that limited?

BTW. I am not actually lying down. Dur!

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Am I expected to read that ramble and then take it to heart? Yep, that's kind of the point of debating with one another. I'm still awaiting your feedback on what "proper racism" is, and why still you don't believe the 'P' word is a racist epithet despite overwhelming evidence from many and varied sources.

I've given up under a tirade of abuse, 'stubborn' being the latest example. Ouch! Someone called you 'stubborn', did they? Do you think that's completely unfair and unwarranted, then?

I'm lying on my back saying "come and get me" because I've discovered the hard way that anything I say is met with a brick wall of uncompromising prejudice. Accusing everyone else of uncompromising prejudice; duly noted.

This homophobic racist has learnt to never have the nerve to express the slightest opinion which does not conform to the mantra of political correctness and instant offence. That's not true; you've expressed many of them recently, just refused to acknowledge them as such.

We all have to be intellectual babies nowadays it seems. There's a well set formula that has to be adhered to, and  veer from that and they will be upon you from every direction. Every thing you say is pompous and easily dismissed because it is unread. I'm assuming you mean that you are not an intellectual baby, but everyone who disagrees with you is? Funny, but I've not seen you cede an inch over eight pages with countless people using a variety of means to try to make you reconsider your position. Is it possible, that despite your hefty use of a thesaurus, that you're actually an intellectual lightweight who is incapable of listening to an ever-increasing groundswell of voices telling you that actually your views might be incompatible with the modern world as it exists in reality, rather than as it exists in your head?

Of course they would't really have any way of knowing the truth of the matter, but then it's always the easy way out to adhere to the herd mentality. "Herd mentality": many people agreeing that you're a bigot. Sorry old boy, the results are in, and they're not looking good for you.

Your turn now LDC. At least you've got one friend: the ultimate defender of lost causes. Well done you.

1 minute ago, Ramrod said:

Are you confident you started this thread for reasons other than self-engrandisment?

Are you confident it wasn't just to put yourself on a pedestal or in an ivory tower. 

Someone's public sexuality is a sensitive issue, are you happy you aren't hijacking it for your own gain? 

Far too deep for that lot to comprehend, but the best of luck.

“Do you always have to come up with such second hand expressions? Are you that limited?”

Reverts to the default “snowflake” when his racism and homophobia is questioned.

Self awareness is not strong in this one.

3 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Are you confident you started this thread for reasons other than self-engrandisment? Yes.

Are you confident it wasn't just to put yourself on a pedestal or in an ivory tower. Yes.

Someone's public sexuality is a sensitive issue, are you happy you aren't hijacking it for your own gain? Yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Advice LDC, stay away.

They are working themselves up into a frenzy.

They just love being indignant.

Quite clever there Broado , telling  lakey to stay away, when you know he wont and he hasn't  disappointed you. By all means defend a minority LDC, unless he is indefensible. I am now leaving this thread for a bit to wash off the taint of bigotry  in the shower. See ya'll  later. 

7 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

I’ll admit to being an idiot, if you admit to being a bigoted old man.

I'll admit to anything original that is appropriate, but not that second hand ****e.

Non of us is perfect after all.

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Let's try to get it back on topic, though - ie. about the possibility of a Norwich player coming out this week, rather than our personal opinions on homosexuality/gay rights.

I think it's probably time to go back to the original intention of this topic before it gets pulled..

Good idea 👍👍👍

I would fully support any player who came out, whatever team they played for-even Ipswich.

People are still being attacked (physically as well as verbally) for their sexuality and as I’m sure we all recognise, in the heat of the moment at a match, it would be all too easy for opposition fans to come out with homophobic comments so this would be an extremely brave decision for a footballer.

Last go on my part.  People need to try and get over themselves and try and show a bit more understanding.  People have all sorts of views about all sorts of subjects - this one is contentious, but what do you people want...that others who are trying to discuss difficult subjects are either too scared to say what they think or can't be bothered to say it because of the reaction they might get? 

It's social media communism.  "You will only say what we want you to say or we will shout you down"

Oh and hi FTW....

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Last go on my part.  People need to try and get over themselves and try and show a bit more understanding.  People have all sorts of views about all sorts of subjects - this one is contentious, but what do you people want...that others who are trying to discuss difficult subjects are either too scared to say what they think or can't be bothered to say it because of the reaction they might get? 

It's social media communism.  "You will only say what we want you to say or we will shout you down"

Oh and hi FTW....

Yeah,  we get all that Lakey, but the opinions  that  broado has expressed on homosexuality  and his use of the P word  do really need to be addressed.