Yep, you're right Boato, sometimes people do act a bit daft in public. Prince of Wales road at 3 am anybody? Rugger****s and their antics, 'real lads' holidays in Magaluf etc. Hen nights, stag nights,....the list is endless. Shame you didn't include a few other examples other than the one you did though.

Edited by wcorkcanary

To be honest, it isn't even news. So what? Somebody else's sexuality is so unimportant.

I posted that 6 hours ago and was shocked to see the post was up to 6 pages. Guess I was wrong. Lots of heterosexuals (I presume as no-one has come out) arguing about homophobia. But there again I doubt Gays do argue about it. They just ignore it.

Yep, you're right Boato, sometimes people do act a bit daft in public. Prince of Wales road at 3 am anybody? Rugger****s and their antics, 'real lads' holidays in Magaluf etc. Hen nights, stag nights,....the list is endless. Shame you didn't include a few other examples other than the one you did though.

Trouble is Corky. By trying to avoid stereotyping, which homophobia is, you have just fallen into the trap to make your point

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yes, anyone dismissing it as 'unimportant' hasn't really thought through their comment.

I get what KG means (I think) in that a player's sexuality shouldn't be something that stops them from playing the sport. It shouldn't stand in the way of them getting a job in something they're really good at. In that sense it's 'unimportant'.

But the reason it is indeed important is because we're in 2019, there is no place for homophobia anywhere, the pain and suffering of supressing emotions is draining, people should feel free to be what they want to be... and I probably could go on!

This is fantastic for football, if true, and I for one would be immensely proud that this has happened at our football club. I just hope the media sh!tstorm that will likely ensue after the Championship player (allegedly) comes out on Weds isn't so horrific that it scares anyone else away from doing the same.

Indeed, if it isn't true and that account is fake, it could be detrimental to the work put in so far in assuring that gay players aren't completely chastised for their sexual preferences

If it is a fake account, it may reveal peoples attitudes. If there is lots of support, gay footballers may feel more comfortable in coming out

Gareth Thomas is seen as a hero, certainly by me and many others, Nigel Owens (his autobiography is well worth a read, Ive got a signed copy if anyone want to borrow it) has come out in what is probably the most alpha male sport around, why is everyone making this such a big deal?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

To be honest, it isn't even news. So what? Somebody else's sexuality is so unimportant.

I posted that 6 hours ago and was shocked to see the post was up to 6 pages. Guess I was wrong. Lots of heterosexuals (I presume as no-one has come out) arguing about homophobia. But there again I doubt Gays do argue about it. They just ignore it.

Without meaning the pull the 'some of my best friends are gay' card...but some of my best friends are gay and I can tell you they don't just 'ignore' homophobia.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Gareth Thomas is seen as a hero, certainly by me and many others, Nigel Owens (his autobiography is well worth a read, Ive got a signed copy if anyone want to borrow it) has come out in what is probably the most alpha male sport around, why is everyone making this such a big deal?

Eh? Are you suggesting coming out in Rugby is more difficult than Football?!

Christ on a bike, I went to school with a couple of mates who played for Norwich RFC and was occasionally dragged on nights out with their Rugby lot. That was not an environment where it would be difficult to be gay.

And it is such a big deal because IT WILL BE THE FIRST OUT HOMOSEXUAL IN FOOTBALL. And no one here should need reminding of what happened to the last footballer who was publicly gay, and he came out after retiring. When previously oppressed minorities start to enjoy the same rights as the majority, it's a big deal. A bit like when women started to achieve things once permitted only to men. After the first one comes out, it will cease to be a big deal so sensitive types like Broadstairs can stop worrying about it being shoved down their throat (though he is giving a strong whiff of repression, so many he'd like something shoved down his throat).

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

How cheap! How thoroughly street corner boy.

Not appreciated and ignorant to boot.

It isn't even the slightest bit funny.

Awww diddums. Best retreat to you safe space and find your security blanket, poor ickle Broadstairs.

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Eh? Are you suggesting coming out in Rugby is more difficult than Football?!

Christ on a bike, I went to school with a couple of mates who played for Norwich RFC and was occasionally dragged on nights out with their Rugby lot. That was not an environment where it would be difficult to be gay.

And it is such a big deal because IT WILL BE THE FIRST OUT HOMOSEXUAL IN FOOTBALL. And no one here should need reminding of what happened to the last footballer who was publicly gay, and he came out after retiring. When previously oppressed minorities start to enjoy the same rights as the majority, it's a big deal. A bit like when women started to achieve things once permitted only to men. After the first one comes out, it will cease to be a big deal so sensitive types like Broadstairs can stop worrying about it being shoved down their throat (though he is giving a strong whiff of repression, so many he'd like something shoved down his throat).

"Eh? Are you suggesting coming out in Rugby is more difficult than Football?!"

I dont have a sliding scale Dan, from the sounds of it you dont think it is, you may be right.

The point is it shouldnt be a big deal, whatever sport you play.

Without meaning the pull the 'some of my best friends are gay' card...but some of my best friends are gay and I can tell you they don't just 'ignore' homophobia.

Homophobia is only a thought. A homophobic act is something different. And the act can vary in its meaning and effect.

If people think like racists or homophobes then so be it, I doubt the law stretches that far. As long as they keep it to themselves then no problem.

And I agree that Rugby is certainly not a sport that is has as many homophobic acts as Football. 

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Trouble is Corky. By trying to avoid stereotyping, which homophobia is, you have just fallen into the trap to make your point

The word 'sometimes' as opposed to 'always' or 'never' was used in my post.  I was merely pointing out to RTB that being a bit daft sometimes in public is not exclusively  a Pride thing.

41 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Awww diddums. Best retreat to you safe space and find your security blanket, poor ickle Broadstairs.

Don't you feel even a slight bit of embarrassment going to the trouble to type that drivel?

Dear oh dear.

Edited by BroadstairsR

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I think you meant profound didn't you Broadstairs......

Both really. He treated my god-like utterances with disdain but is never usually capable of being profound in any case.😉

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Or Rio , the home of carnival?  I think Rio makes Notting Hill look like a Sunday School  outing. 

I haven’t been to a modern carnival and doubtless they are now over sexualised just like our culture - but traditionally carnival was a Christian procession and not sexualised - Mardi Gras having its origins in pre lent practices in the church 

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

The point is it shouldnt be a big deal, whatever sport you play.

No, it shouldn't. 

Neither should it have been a big deal that Obama was the first black President, but it was. 

It shouldn't have been a big deal that Thatcher was the first female Prime Minister, but it was. 

It shouldn't have been a big deal that Lucy Martin was the first visibly disabled weather girl, or Cerrie Burnell the first visibly disabled kids TV presenter, on the BBC, but it was. 

They are all trailblazers and icons of previously (and to some extent presently) oppressed groups, so they are rightfully celebrated when they become the first at something in the public eye. 

It will be no different with the first gay footballer. People who say they don't understand why it's such a big deal either have fundamentally missed the point or don't appreciate the air time given to something they find unpalatable. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and put you in the former category. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

No, it shouldn't. 

Neither should it have been a big deal that Obama was the first black President, but it was. 

It shouldn't have been a big deal that Thatcher was the first female Prime Minister, but it was. 

It shouldn't have been a big deal that Lucy Martin was the first visibly disabled weather girl, or Cerrie Burnell the first visibly disabled kids TV presenter, on the BBC, but it was. 

They are all trailblazers and icons of previously (and to some extent presently) oppressed groups, so they are rightfully celebrated when they become the first at something in the public eye. 

It will be no different with the first gay footballer. People who say they don't understand why it's such a big deal either have fundamentally missed the point or don't appreciate the air time given to something they find unpalatable. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and put you in the former category. 

If you had read the thread you would have seen my post on page 1 "Good for them, whoever it is, shouldn’t be newsworthy but sadly still is in the Football arena. The more this happens the less of an issue it will become."

14 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

It's all so pre-conceived and unbending whereby the slightest deviant view is met with insult, nonsense and personal remarks. Throwing labels around with ease fails to appreciate the issue, tackle the issue or serve any other purpose than evoke an unhelpful adverse response.  

Er, right back atcha mate:

16 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Eh?

What are you on about now? How petty.

Dur!

16 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's all. Make of it as you wish. Snowflake. 

15 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Silly?

17 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

How silly.

How thoroughly silly.

What an ignorant failed 'clever ****' response'

17 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

More silliness and it's insults and stupid faces now.

Give up please.

You can give it out, but you don’t appear to be able to take it. 

Overusing your word count along with your thesaurus doesn’t give you some sort of intellectual weight, it just makes you sound a bit pompous. The fact is that when someone does make a point that you either don’t understand, or can’t contradict, you do exactly what you accuse others of and resort to either insults or your trademark “eh?”(AKA I can’t argue with this).

Edited by Nuff Said
Reined in my own pomposity
  • Haha 1

Ooooh I'm going to make a big deal out of how little I care about a gay professional footballer.

Apparently these people care enough to post about how little they care on a thread about it. :classic_blink:

Personally I think it would be a big deal and one that I will show support over when it happens.

A not insignificant percentage of men in the UK are gay and yet there are zero professional footballers. These are the facts and it  suggests there is either an inclusivity issue, or a fear of coming out in the game. In fact, almost certainly both.

Those who are brave enough to break the taboo should be fully supported - the only part I 'dont care about', is who they play for. 

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Like 1

While most on here believe it shouldn't be an issue and that 'coming' out should be applauded, the mere fact that we have a six page bun fight shows that there's still some way to go. 

Meaning that if I were that footballer, I'd be thinking very carefully about my next move. 

Sad times.......

After the debate that raged in the Cricket World Cup thread over Broadstairs' use of the P-word, where everyone who disapproved of the word was also a 'snowflake', I'm starting to think he just deliberately posts these ridiculous things to get bites.

Either that or he's a homophobic racist.

• Like 2

There we go again another one who bandies these labels he's adopted around willy nilly with no genuine insight into what are essentially complex issues.

They wear their assumed liberalism like a badge of honour and willingly follow the herd in concentrating upon the trivia whilst seemingly impervious to the reality. 

They read their opinions rather than think them through. It's therefore all black and white in their uncompromising world. There's no middle ground and the merest whiff of anything the slightest bit contrary to their "this one we prepared earlier" style views  and up they jump, pedestals permanently at the ready to defend the weak and oppressed. The foot-soldiers of the army of the righteous who, whilst unable to ever properly assess just how exactly their own race or sexual preferences have impacted upon their own lives, as a starting point, prefer to jump on the band wagon en-route because it's easier than original thinking. 

Perhaps snowflake, another label, but much less inflammable, is the wrong term to use. Being too benign thus allowing the grievance industry off too lightly. Those that instantly lambaste others whilst being blithely unaware of the negative consequences of their own stance whereby instantly crying wolf at the slightest thing draws attention away from the harm that real prejudice can do. They will never seemingly think that through though for, by lacking the critical skills to navigate racial and homophobic tensions in a constructive way, they fall back upon name calling, stereotyping and insults. 

More prickly than a field of thistles more sensitive than a top end Durex product (raspberry flavoured no doubt,) "snowflake" will do nicely for even in it's benignity they need to repeat it so much that it appears they seem to get a bit upset when called it ... but getting upset is what they do after all. 

At least the genius above admitted that he's "starting to think." That's some progress I suppose.  

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

There we go again another one who bandies these labels he's adopted around willy nilly with no genuine insight into what are essentially complex issues.

They wear their assumed liberalism like a badge of honour and willingly follow the herd in concentrating upon the trivia whilst seemingly impervious to the reality. 

They read their opinions rather than think them through. It's therefore all black and white in their uncompromising world. There's no middle ground and the merest whiff of anything the slightest bit contrary to their "this one we prepared earlier" style views  and up they jump, pedestals permanently at the ready to defend the weak and oppressed. The foot-soldiers of the army of the righteous who, whilst unable to ever properly assess just how exactly their own race or sexual preferences have impacted upon their own lives, as a starting point, prefer to jump on the band wagon en-route because it's easier than original thinking. 

Perhaps snowflake, another label, but much less inflammable, is the wrong term to use. Being too benign thus allowing the grievance industry off too lightly. Those that instantly lambaste others whilst being blithely unaware of the negative consequences of their own stance whereby instantly crying wolf at the slightest thing draws attention away from the harm that real prejudice can do. They will never seemingly think that through though for, by lacking the critical skills to navigate racial and homophobic tensions in a constructive way, they fall back upon name calling, stereotyping and insults. 

More prickly than a field of thistles more sensitive than a top end Durex product (raspberry flavoured no doubt,) "snowflake" will do nicely for even in it's benignity they need to repeat it so much that it appears they seem to get a bit upset when called it ... but getting upset is what they do after all. 

At least the genius above admitted that he's "starting to think." That's some progress I suppose.  

tp;dr

(too pompous; didn't read)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

tp;dr

(too pompous; didn't read)

How come found it too pompous whilst not reading it? Must have been difficult.

It wasn't meant for you in any case, you are never disagreeable.

However, if some ignorant, no-mark (with a silly name) on a football forum feels he can hurl insulting labels in my direction in any way he sees fit then I have a right to reply in the manner I know best. Pompous or not.  

Edited by BroadstairsR