Apparently Justin Fashanu's niece has just been on Talksport, saying that two footballers will come out as gay this week, including one NCFC player. Did anyone hear this live? Brilliant news if true, about time someone had the guts to do it.

• Like 1

I’m sure lots of you may be aware of the stories in the media of “that gay footballer” bravely coming out in the coming days. I’ve just been listening to talk sport and Amal Fashanu has been speaking of another player who has been in touch with her, who’s twitter handle is @ThatGayPro who’s a premier league player, about to also bravely come out on Friday. This player happens to be a current Norwich City player.

i would just like to say how proud I would be if this is the case and hope all our supporters get behind our player and give him all the support in the world. OTBC.

• Like 8

Two or more players coming out at once would be a good idea. There's strength in numbers and would no doubt ease the abuse from the idiotic minority compared to if just one player came out on his own.

I hope the news is true. There are obviously several gay players in England and it's a shame they don't feel comfortable enough to come out. Hopefully one or two will give confidence to the rest.

• Like 2

Don't see why they should shout about it... actually, I do!

If I had my first taste of sunshine after being in a closet all my life, reckon I'd want to shout a lot, sing and possibly dance around the pitch

And I would support someone who wants to do that, especially a currently caged canary

Edited by GenerationA47
caged canaries supoprt group
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Two or more players coming out at once would be a good idea. There's strength in numbers and would no doubt ease the abuse from the idiotic minority compared to if just one player came out on his own.

I hope the news is true. There are obviously several gay players in England and it's a shame they don't feel comfortable enough to come out. Hopefully one or two will give confidence to the rest.

Equally, why should they need to "come out"? I don't have to announce to the world that I'm a jazz lover or a vegetarian. One day maybe everyone's sexuality will be as remarkable as the colour of their hair.

• Like 1

That would be literally brilliant if it were true. I'd be super proud if one of our own was to do this. It would send such a positive message out and the club would be seen in such a positive way.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Equally, why should they need to "come out"? I don't have to announce to the world that I'm a jazz lover or a vegetarian. One day maybe everyone's sexuality will be as remarkable as the colour of their hair.

I believe Robbie Keane, who has backed anti-homophobia campaigns in the past, said when his teammate at the LA Galaxy came out, something along the lines of:

"I don't know why we're even talking about this. But it's really important that we're sitting here talking about this."

• Like 3

Good for them, whoever it is, shouldn’t be newsworthy but sadly still is in the Football arena. The more this happens the less of an issue it will become.

Why did this need leaking out in advance?  Surely better to just anounce it?  All we will get now is days of speculation.  I would hazard a guess that most people at CR would know anyway...........so why not just announce it and let everyone move on?

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

To be honest, it isn't even news. So what? Somebody else's sexuality is so unimportant.

It’s important in the same way the first black players were important. 

You only have to watch the interview with Ruel Fox to see how important Ceril Regis and Lawrie Cunningham were to him. 

• Like 5

If Dafabet have a decent marketing team they'll start taking bets on who it is on a 24 hour special or something.

Yes, anyone dismissing it as 'unimportant' hasn't really thought through their comment.

I get what KG means (I think) in that a player's sexuality shouldn't be something that stops them from playing the sport. It shouldn't stand in the way of them getting a job in something they're really good at. In that sense it's 'unimportant'.

But the reason it is indeed important is because we're in 2019, there is no place for homophobia anywhere, the pain and suffering of supressing emotions is draining, people should feel free to be what they want to be... and I probably could go on!

This is fantastic for football, if true, and I for one would be immensely proud that this has happened at our football club. I just hope the media sh!tstorm that will likely ensue after the Championship player (allegedly) comes out on Weds isn't so horrific that it scares anyone else away from doing the same.

Indeed, if it isn't true and that account is fake, it could be detrimental to the work put in so far in assuring that gay players aren't completely chastised for their sexual preferences

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 2

You only have to watch the interview with Ruel Fox to see how important Ceril Regis and Lawrie Cunningham were to him. 

It only becomes important if you promote it. The best way to make an issue unimportant is to stop talking about it. Having been brought up in an era when homophobia was rife and gays called everything but gay, I can see how far we as a people have come in our realisation that we are all cut from the same tree.

•  

4 minutes ago, Excited Canary said:

That account looks very fake. Retweeting a fake Frank Lampard account with 2 followers yesterday...

It looks really fake to me. 

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I doubt it's true, but let's assume it is.

Who's your money on?

Let’s not play that rather crass game. 

Imagine what the Irish betting company would do with it if we had them instead of our one!

However, I have to agree with the poster above that the 'Norwich' one's twitter account looks less than convincing. So may not be real.

Edited by GenerationA47

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I doubt it's true, but let's assume it is.

Who's your money on?

Don't care, he's a footballer and if he plays for Norwich I'm supporting him, regardless of his preferences. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It only becomes important if you promote it. The best way to make an issue unimportant is to stop talking about it. Having been brought up in an era when homophobia was rife and gays called everything but gay, I can see how far we as a people have come in our realisation that we are all cut from the same tree.

•  

It’s not important to you, because you aren’t gay. 

If a player does come out as gay, can you not see why that would be massively important to other young gay men who dream of being footballers? 

• Like 5

account looks really fake, location is even set to Great Yarmouth... If however I'm wrong and it is real I'll give them my utmost support

I was chatting to Di Cunningham from Proud Canaries about the @thatGay Pro account this morning and she said she think it's just another poor copycat account of the Gay Footballer twitter account ( 46k followers) . She pointed out that this account only has 80 followers,  ancient picture of CR in his bio, he's rt a spoof Frank Lampard account plus he had to be reminded the team were in Germany last week.

Bit sad if its a hoax account but guess we'll find out on Friday when he says he'll reveal himself

10 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Imagine what the Irish betting company would do with it if we had them instead of our one!

However, I have to agree with the poster above that the 'Norwich' one's twitter account looks less than convincing. So may not be re

12 minutes ago, Excited Canary said:

I presume she is basing this on the @ThatGayPro Twitter account, which looks very fake to me.

Apparently the club agree with you....

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If Dafabet have a decent marketing team they'll start taking bets on who it is on a 24 hour special or something.

If they have a decent marketing team they'd realise that ramping up speculation on public figures sexuality is at best crass and it worst a license to get sued.

2 minutes ago, Diane said:

I was chatting to Di Cunningham from Proud Canaries about the @thatGay Pro account this morning and she said she think it's just another poor copycat account of the Gay Footballer twitter account ( 46k followers) . She pointed out that this account only has 80 followers,  ancient picture of CR in his bio, he's rt a spoof Frank Lampard account plus he had to be reminded the team were in Germany last week.

Bit sad if its a hoax account but guess we'll find out on Friday when he says he'll reveal himself

I wonder if it’s an Ipswich fan having a bit of ‘fun’?. I agree that account doesn’t look genuine, Di