Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Wigan want Ashton!.

According to sky sports new at 6pm. Paul Jewel ( is that the correct spelling!) wants Ashton and is considering making a 7 million pound bid for him.......thoughts?.

According to "insert media of choice", AN Other manager of AN Other club wants Ashton and is considering making a "choose todays favorite price tag" bid for him.

Wiz, everybody wants him, many are considering bids but why add to idle speculation with a thread like this? Sky Sports News is particularly bad for idle gossip and rumour mongouring.

Wigan have said that they are not prepared to pay the large amount of money that we are asking for. This was said on sky sports news

[quote user="1st Wizard"]According to sky sports new at 6pm. Paul Jewel ( is that the correct spelling!) wants Ashton and is considering making a 7 million pound bid for him.......thoughts?.[/quote]

Blah blah blah blah! Not interested and I refuse to get wound up about offers for our players, I''ve vowed not to spend all January biting my nails waiting on news. What will happen will happen and we have to leave the board to just get on with transfer dealings without us getting all hissy about it.

They will do whats best for Norwich City and Dean Ashton will do whats best for him.

Hope he stays though! 

Well thats funny, because I just read this.... (Off the BBC Sport site)

"Wigan boss Paul Jewell has been put off trying to sign Norwich striker Dean Ashton by the high transfer price the Championship club are asking for him.

Jewell tried to sign the 22-year-old striker during the summer.

"We''ve asked again but with the price they''re asking, it''s silly money as they don''t want to sell him," Wigan boss Paul Jewell told Sky Sports News.

"I''m not going to pay too far over the odds for players, and at that price we won''t be interested," added Jewell.

Ashton became Norwich''s record signing in January when he joined in a £3m move from Crewe.

He scored seven goals in 16 appearances last season for Norwich and has netted 10 in 25 league matches during the current campaign, including a hat-trick against Southampton on 17 December.
"

i thought he said they had already enquired but the money we quoted was to over the top for them and they would not be interested at that price.

Jewell''s already said he can''t afford him:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/4570502.stmThis is evidence of Worthy''s savvy policy of slapping a massive price tag on Deano''s head upfront. Discourages the timewasters who might unsettle Deano unnecessarily.The club''s decision on Deano is not an easy one. Yes he is a prodiguous talent but he is only one player (who can get injured like anyone else). For £7m you could buy a lot of (championship) strength in depth. On balance however I think we should do everything in our power to keep him, not least since he is an appreciating asset - there is no reason to suspect we couldn''t achieve the same amount for him in the summer if we somehow don''t manage to win the playoffs...Ultimately though the decision is Deano''s. A good club will come in with a decent offer via his agent and if he wants to move it will be futile to try to stop him. That''s why Simon Jordan''s ''not for sale'' rhetoric is so stupid (and why our board should be applauded for keeping schtum). If Andy Johnson demands a transfer then Jordan basically has to let him go and ends up looking ridiculous.So come on Deano. Norfolk''s a much nicer place than Manchester or South East London don''t you think?

According to the BBC the price Norwich are demnading is too high for Wigan. I think that will be the case throughout January, just got to hope Ashton still wants to be playing for Norwich come the summer.

If Jewell deems Ashton being worth 7 million then either a straight swap for Jason Roberts or part/exchange for McCulloch or Camara would do nicely thanks.

Just checked on the BBC site, Wiz, and Paul Jewell has said that he''s been put off by the high price tag - good!

From Deano''s point of view it would make sense to wait til the summer to see what happens to us. Also if he has a storming second half of the season as he threatens too, the queue of clubs will be much bigger giving him a wider choice to choose from if he then decides to move on up.

So whats changed as far as juwel is concerned he knew at the start of

the season what ashton would have cost does he really think that he

would be any cheaper come january ,WHAT A FOOL.

The reason Jewell has come back with interest is because he must have thought the price would be cheaper. Ashton has hardley set the world alight this season!!!

Paul Jewell is no fool and he certainly won''t be paying over the odds for players he feels is not worth the price tag. We easily have the money to buy him so it''s just a case of Norwich putting a silly price on him.

Thankyou Wiz, finally someone gets the point! Clubs want him, we''re asking more than they are prepared to pay. We know that.

Next tactic, make public that you want him, unsettle him to the point where he walks in to NWs office and says, "Sorry gaffer, i want out." Then the agent scumbags move in and from that point on, the price starts to fall.

Jewell wasn''t the first to do it, Curbishley was, and he won''t be the last. They all know if they all keep shaking the tree there''s a good chance the fruit will fall and one of them will get it. (apologies for contrived metaphor!) 

[quote user="Wonder Wiganer"]

The reason Jewell has come back with

interest is because he must have thought the price would be cheaper.

Ashton has hardley set the world alight this season!!!

Paul Jewell is no fool and he certainly won''t be paying over the

odds for players he feels is not worth the price tag. We easily

have the money to buy him so it''s just a case of Norwich putting a

silly price on him.

[/quote]

Yes but he has forgot 2 thing there are more clubs than wigan involved

and we can hold out for what we like as we don''t need to sell .

Ultimately, this is Ashton''s decision even though the Board can put a

silly price tag on him.  Even though he has a contract, we have

seen enough situations where top players call the shots.  Deano is

such a player.

Having said that, the most important thing that has happened in favor

of Deano staying is FIVE STRAIGHT WINS.  If we hadn''t done that, I

think we would have lost him.  Now, we''re in with a legitimate

chance of the playoffs -- Deano can wait till the end of the season to

see how it goes.  He''s still young.

Finally, if the Board gets a silly offer, they will accept it.  10

million for Deano and they wont take the chance since they will have to

sell him for cheaper in the offseason given that Deano will make it

crystal clear he wants out if we don''t get promoted.

But I guess the main point I''m making is that FIVE WINS is the absolute BEST tonic to keep Deano in Norfolk.

saw thus on another site - perhaps Deano has such a clause and the appropriate offer has already been made.

"I am an international law student and wish to explain something to Newcastle fans. There seems to be some confusion as to what a "buy-out clause" is. It is a statement in a players contract that stipulates if another team offers the amount in the clause, it becomes the players decision to leave or stay. If the player accepts personal terms with the team making the offer, the team who currently holds his contract has no choice and must sell. So, if a a team offers 12mil to Newcastle, Owen can leave. It''s that simple. "