Sign in to follow this  
Luke O Donoughoe

Snakepit

Well done indeed. Incidentally, did anyone realise that there was a film entitled The Snakepit. I can''t remember the year of release, but I think it''s quite an old and possibly classic film. I came upon the film title in a book called 1001 films to see before you die. Quite a morbid title, but an interesting book nevertheless.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040806/"Virginia Cunningham finds herself in a state insane asylum...and can''t

remember how she got there. In flashback, her husband Robert relates

their courtship, marriage, and her developing symptoms. The asylum

staff are not demonized, but fear, ignorance and regimentation keep

Virginia in a state of misery, as pipesmoking Dr. Mark Kik struggles

through wheels within wheels to find the root of her problem. Then a

relapse plunges Virginia back into the harrowing ''Snake Pit''..."

You should have been in the Cathedral Lounge on Wednesday the air was fairly crackling and the atmosphere was electric in the bar. During the game someone let out a loud ''Hurrah!'' too, it was brilliant.

Thanks for the additional information, Vince. Funnily enough I''ve just visited the excellent imdb website to look for The Snakepit. A film buff could spend hours in there.

Ahhh, The Cathedral Lounge..........A place of peace and tranquility, and a delightful atmosphere for the over 45''s. Fluffy carpet slippers, persistant senior citizen trombone sounding nose-blowers, ruddy faced rural types guffawing at pathetic one-liners, a burberry ''Chav free zone'', espying selfish "these biccies are all mine!" individuals- force feeding themselves ''foi gra'' style with anything coated with the slightest bit of chocolate or cream, and slurping their tepid beverages from the saucer, "No Bor! jez ger us an ''alf cus me ole blarder ain'' upter it these daze" individuals.......I could go on.......but my senility won''t let me......I too, do frequent the Cathedral lounge and it has certainly cured my insomnia....ZZZzzzzzzzz..... I''m only in my mid 40''s but you know when you belong........Ahhhhhh Lovely.... ;~) 

Mello Yello explained

Ahhh, The Cathedral Lounge..........A place of peace and tranquility, and a delightful atmosphere for the over 45''s. Fluffy carpet slippers, persistant senior citizen trombone sounding nose-blowers, ruddy faced rural types guffawing at pathetic one-liners, a burberry ''Chav free zone'', espying selfish "these biccies are all mine!" individuals- force feeding themselves ''foi gra'' style with anything coated with the slightest bit of chocolate or cream, and slurping their tepid beverages from the saucer, "No Bor! jez ger us an ''alf cus me ole blarder ain'' upter it these daze" individuals.......I could go on.......but my senility won''t let me......I too, do frequent the Cathedral lounge and it has certainly cured my insomnia....ZZZzzzzzzzz..... I''m only in my mid 40''s but you know when you belong........Ahhhhhh Lovely.... ;~) 

What a picture you paint, Mello, and I am worried that the pathetic one liners you hear might be mine. I do apologise but as I cannot hope to keep my gob shut you will no doubt hear more.

Of course, it was not always like this. As a younger man I tilted and swayed in the baying Barclay, shouting myself hoarse as I imbibed lungfuls of other peoples cigarette smoke in between bouts of bawling towards the pitch.

And that was when the Barclay was the Barclay which is not to say I do not admire the efforts of the current denizens it is just that they enjoy no great terrace for their songs to roll down (as I might say the away fans in The Jarrold do).

What a shame the Barclay was not designed for fans as opposed to Corporate Hospitality with an overlapping top tier or even something like the stands at Palace and West Ham. It is a long unacknowledged crime what the Club did to The Barclay End.

So now in our decline we repose in The Cathedral Lounge; former trappy little yobs put out to grass and made to sit quietly near Greeno''s parents, the linesmans family and goodness knows who else.

As for the biscuits, if you really want to cause a stir, take your own.

Rudolph and Mello

I might just join you in the Cathedral Lounge, if I wasn''t already committed to changing to the Family Area next season......  It sounds a lot more fun at the moment than the Lower Barclay area I sit in, dull, dull, dull.  Though Watford home I am sitting, sorry, no standing in my son''s seat in D Block. I might even start off a few songs.... How much extra is it a season to sit in the Cathedral area by the way?

we D block regulars try our hardest to get the noise started in the barcaly.. however i think we are becoming the new city stand....

I shall of course be singing my lungs out today... i might get somewhat inebriated in Squares before the game as im not confident for the match

jas :)