Sign in to follow this  
GMF

Trust’s quarterly meeting with Ben Kensell

"The issue of free sanitary products had been put back until the new Operations Manager takes up post at the end of August."

Gives Waveney something to talk about

• Haha 1

The standard members have just wasted their money, they’ve no chance. Half the Premier members are also going to be disappointed 

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

The standard members have just wasted their money, they’ve no chance. Half the Premier members are also going to be disappointed 

Whilst some games will be heavily over subscribed, not every premier member will go to every away game, but actual “take up rates” in each selling window will be worth watching.

The standard members might as well pay another £15 to get in the main group, if not they’ve wasted their money

6 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

What is this obsession with this lot and sanitary towels getting way way beyond a joke now 

It isn't a joke.... never has been. 

17 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

The membership scheme has now made the club £715,210, I’m sure they’re really pleased with that 😕

Almost paid for Sam Byram. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is bloody ridiculous... paying £50 for the privilege of what basically amounts to a lottery. Selling 7,000 away memberships when we won't be getting more than 3,000 tickets for any game is appalling. I didn't think they'd oversubscribe the scheme by that amount; after the amount of opprobrium the scheme garnered upon its initial release, you'd have thought they'd have scaled back their merciless money-grabbing and capped the scheme. But no, looks like they've carried on with squeezing every last quid possible out of the club's most loyal supporters. Really hope the Trust/supporters' group take the club to task about this.

And it's even worse when you factor in that 750 of those 3,000 tickets will be (quite rightly) reserved for the away season ticket holders. So effectively, that's more than 6,000 away members competing for just over 2,000 tickets.

Nice one City, way to p*ss away all the goodwill that's been built up in the last 12 months. Disgusting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

And it's even worse when you factor in that 750 of those 3,000 tickets will be (quite rightly) reserved for the away season ticket holders. So effectively, that's more than 6,000 away members competing for just over 2,000 tickets.

Nice one City, way to p*ss away all the goodwill that's been built up in the last 12 months. Disgusting.

And the home situation is arguably even worse; there are fewer tickets and may well be more fans scrambling.

17 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

This is bloody ridiculous... paying £50 for the privilege of what basically amounts to a lottery. Selling 7,000 away memberships when we won't be getting more than 3,000 tickets for any game is appalling. I didn't think they'd oversubscribe the scheme by that amount; after the amount of opprobrium the scheme garnered upon its initial release, you'd have thought they'd have scaled back their merciless money-grabbing and capped the scheme. But no, looks like they've carried on with squeezing every last quid possible out of the club's most loyal supporters. Really hope the Trust/supporters' group take the club to task about this.

What exactly do you think they can do to take the club to task wolfie ?

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

What exactly do you think they can do to take the club to task wolfie ?

Well they are the voice of the fans, and the negative noise is only going to get louder as people miss out on tickets for matches they want to go to. The dissatisfaction is likely to grow over this as the season progresses, so the fan groups should be asking the club how they plan to deal with the inevitable backlash when many loyal members realise they've paid £50 to be losers in an oversubscribed lottery when the club is more cash-rich and financially stable than it's been for a long time.

I'll be writing to the club personally, but I'd hope that supporters' groups would be considering an official response to these figures being revealed.

On the face of it, 7,000 makes it sound as though there’ll be a mad scramble for tickets and thousands disappointed for every game. However, we are yet to see it in action and the stats held by the club do honestly suggest that this won’t be the case. The games at W Ham, Spurs and Bournemouth seem most likely to cause issues but even for a particular high profile game last season using the old scheme they had to make tickets available for 21,000 fans (trickle down) before the allocation was sold. 

It might be the unmitigated disaster that 7,000 into 3,000 sounds (let’s hope not) but until we see it in action we won’t know. 

They DID research the numbers though and, perhaps naively, I don’t believe they’d oversell the memberships and intentionally leave thousands disappointed and angry every week. 

I’ve been wrong before though..

• Haha 1

The proper response from the club should be to issue super membership at £100 a time.

If something is in great demand it is obviously more valuable and needs to be hiked in price.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Well they are the voice of the fans, and the negative noise is only going to get louder as people miss out on tickets for matches they want to go to. The dissatisfaction is likely to grow over this as the season progresses, so the fan groups should be asking the club how they plan to deal with the inevitable backlash when many loyal members realise they've paid £50 to be losers in an oversubscribed lottery when the club is more cash-rich and financially stable than it's been for a long time.

I'll be writing to the club personally, but I'd hope that supporters' groups would be considering an official response to these figures being revealed.

I take it your ' Well they are the voice of the fans ' was tongue in cheek wolfie ?

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I take it your ' Well they are the voice of the fans ' was tongue in cheek wolfie ?

I don't see why it should be sarcastic. Faute de mieux they de facto are.

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't see why it should be sarcastic. Faute de mieux they de facto are.

Well you said it Purple but back at the beginning of 2018 there was the much heralded Memorandum of Understanding signed which was to involve the Trust in matters concerning NCFC and fans and this membership scheme is the most important matter and the first test since then. A major opportunity for the Trust to flex it's muscles on behalf of their membership but they were sidelined initially by the club at the launch and a subsequent meeting failed to alter the stance the club had adopted.

Therefore i fail to see how wolfie thinks that the club should or could be taken to task by them.

26 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Well you said it Purple but back at the beginning of 2018 there was the much heralded Memorandum of Understanding signed which was to involve the Trust in matters concerning NCFC and fans and this membership scheme is the most important matter and the first test since then. A major opportunity for the Trust to flex it's muscles on behalf of their membership but they were sidelined initially by the club at the launch and a subsequent meeting failed to alter the stance the club had adopted.

Therefore i fail to see how wolfie thinks that the club should or could be taken to task by them.

I think the club have been pretty bloody-minded with the implementation of this, and there's no real way to amend the system for this season now they've forged ahead with it.

As others have said, we'll see as the season pans out how many fans are left wanting; if it's not that many then the controversy may blow over a bit. But if demand hugely outstrips supply and many fans end up not getting their fair share of tickets, I'd expect the Canaries Trust to intercede on behalf of the fans. As a member myself, I would certainly ask the question.

As the Trust says on its own website:

" ..the most important reason for the Canaries Trust to exist is that players, managers and even owners come and go but through the good times and the bad the fans are there for life."

Let's not get side tracked here - the Club decided to make changes to their membership scheme, with minimal advanced consultation. It should have therefore come as no great surprise that there was widespread dissatisfaction across the whole fan base, both with the initial consultation process and the proposals they decided to press ahead with.

But there's little point looking backwards, because the debate has already moved on to the next iteration of the membership scheme. Some of the next steps have already been outlined in our note and further details will undoubtedly follow shortly from the Club.

One of the main unknown factors when launched was what the actual take up levels were actually likely to be - hence the reason why no specific cap was decided in advance. And, despite some of the understandable cynicism about it just being a money making scheme, no one wanted a scheme which was too restrictive in numbers. Therefore, whilst the 7,000 figure may seem somewhat high, not every member will want to go to every game. Last season, approximately 4,600 fans attended between four to nine away games - this reinforces the point, even though there will be four fewer away games.

Obviously, it will be interesting to see what the actual take up rates are in each "sale window" and this will certainly be monitored closely over the first few away games.

19 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Evening  all.  If no one makes the populist  feeling  known to the Club, how can anything change? I'll be writing too Wolfo, I decided not  to take up any form of membership  this season because I realised that my couple of home matches and the odd away per season were gonna cost me a fortune through the  usual channels. It would in fact be cheaper for ne to go to liverpool,  man u and Everton away using an Irish coach package deal, sure its be a bus full of mancs or scouse  supporters , but starting at €149 return  incl.  Match ticket, with the  home supporters of course, I'll try not to enjoy it as Teemu nutmegs de Gea , for his hat trick  and the winner. 

Few of the away games sold out when we were in the PL beyond the obvious London games and Bournemouth. Utd also sold out but we didn’t take the full allocation from memory. I suspect we’ll take the max allocation to less than half the games next season. So, those of the Away Premier memberships will get plenty of opportunities based on previous years.

The fact the debate has moved on to next season is exactly what the club wanted/relied upon. Kensell deflected everything by apologising for the lack of consultation but not the clubs greed. They would have to change it for next season anyway but in the meantime have pocketed the cash. 

• Like 1

“Ben explained that the consultation process on next season’s membership scheme will start in September and will involve a series of meetings, perhaps one with fan groups, another prioritising those who complained to the Club

Looks like Lakey will get to decide how the scheme works next year then.

23 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I didn't think they'd oversubscribe the scheme by that amount; after the amount of opprobrium the scheme garnered upon its initial release, you'd have thought they'd have scaled back their merciless money-grabbing and capped the scheme. But no, looks like they've carried on with squeezing every last quid possible out of the club's most loyal supporters. 

If they did decide to cap the scheme, I hope they give notice that it will be happening. I’ve been dithering about buying second membership for my daughter/son/neutral mate who’s come to a few away games with me. If I ever want to buy two seats together this season, I’ll need to spend the second £50, but I’ve not decided it’s worth it yet for a few games.

Which brings me to a related question I’ve been pondering for a while. If I have a second membership in say my daughter’s name, are we doing anything wrong if someone else uses the ticket? Is this buried away in the Ts and Cs somewhere?

17 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

My point only was that if there is a voice of the fans then, failing anyone else, it is the Trust, or in this case the Trust plus the other groups that came together. That the club acted as it did, not really taking the Trust into account in the first place and then not changing its decision, doesn't alter that.

I understand your point that this was arguably the most important issue to have come up on which the Trust could have expected to be consulted, although I very much doubt the people who run the Trust imagine their view will always be accepted by the club.

And that is even assuming the Trust had the right solution. I haven't followed the details of this at all but while everyone seems agreed that the club's plan is bad there does not appear to be any kind of consensus on what the good plan would be. Anyway, as far as the Trust's influence goes, what the club does with its scheme for the following season may be an indication.

Don’t want to speak on anyone else’s behalf but I think the general view was that the points system worked fine, it was just the amount of points automatically given to season ticket holders needed to be reduced

Edited by FenwayFrank