Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Should we give the youngsters a chance before bringing in more loan signings?

Personally I would like to see some of the youngsters given a chance in the team before we rush out to bring in even more mediocre players.  What is the sense in having one of the best academy set ups when we have a manager who isn''t prepared to give them a chance.  I know there are some posters out there who argue about throwing in youngsters and it having an effect on their confidence, but we are a team full of confidence at the moment and now is the time to bring in the youngsters.

How many of our youngsters will follow in the footsteps of Danny Crow ( who incidentally is Peterborough''s top scorer ) and be moved onto other clubs for nothing.  At the time of writing Peterborough are talking about possibly selling Crow in the January transfer window as he is attracting a lot of interest.  Firstly we should have kept him, and secondly why are Peterborough going to make a profit on one of our most talented youngsters.

At times it would be nice to have a manager who believes in giving youngsters a chance, and not offloading them to lower divisions for free.  I guess Henderson, Shackell, and the Jarvis bothers must wait until they are over 25 before they get an extended run in the team.

Thats exactly what i have been saying about crow. Shackall should be 1st reserve centre half because he impressed last season. Hendos had a chance in the wrong position, at the moment he''s well down the pecking order up front. As for ryan jarvis i believe he simply isnt good enough, a bit too flash for worthy''s liking. Rossi J isnt as good as people make out and its a bit too early for people like cave-brown, spillane, martin who have talent.

Personally I am not sure if the youngsters are ready for the first team (I do not include Shacklell as a youngster and he is certainly good enough) I dont think that either of the Jarvis brothers are good enough.  But what alarms me is that there is speculation about bringing in a 19 year old and a 20 year old from Mansfield and another lowly club surely with all the expert coaching and the academy envoinronment our lads have been bought up in they must be better than these players, if not something is obviously wrong.  Or maybe it is just a case that other clubs have to play their youngsters whcih makes them better players in the future.  Could be bit of a chicken and egg situation, as I dont think the Norwich fans would allow youngsters to have a decent run out before getting on their backs (ie Hendo) but how will they improve playing reserve or academy football. I think it is a difficult one to call, but I would be extremely disappointed if youngsters were bought in from lower league clubs without first giving ours a decent run.  

The point about Danny Crow is valid and I could not believe that NW was talking about bringing in a striker of a smililar age from div 2 when he had let Danny go at the end of last season (it would not have cost too much to keep him as he was on a low wage - about the same as Rossi Jarvis is unwilling to accept).  Should defo have kept him, I am sure he will soon be moving on to a bigger club .  

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]no - unless we''ve got no budget to get older pro''s (as in ipswich case), or they are obviously brilliant and capable, which when watching reserves matches doesn''t appear to be the case.
[/quote]

The trouble is that Jarret, Hughes, Etuhu, Robinson are all older pro''s, but I don''t think they are that much better than our own youngsters.  Henderson and the Jarvis brothers have not disgaced themselves when given the rare chance to play, and like most sports you raise your own game the better the standard, so it is always going to be difficult to impress at reserve level.  I wouldn''t say any of the youngsters are brilliant, but they are more than capable at the Championship level.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]Perhaps try El Ouargui on the right[/quote]

Have you actually seen him play?  He is an out and out  centre forward

You are so right Silver Fox, one of my gripes with Worthy is his lack of faith with the youth. Your point about Danny Crow is spot on again.

Although Worthy of late has done well, when it comes to supporting the youth, he''s sadly lacking I fear.

[quote user="silver fox"]

The trouble is that Jarret, Hughes, Etuhu, Robinson are all older pro''s, but I don''t think they are that much better than our own youngsters.  Henderson and the Jarvis brothers have not disgaced themselves when given the rare chance to play, and like most sports you raise your own game the better the standard, so it is always going to be difficult to impress at reserve level.  I wouldn''t say any of the youngsters are brilliant, but they are more than capable at the Championship level.

[/quote]sorry foxy, but hendo has stagnated the last 2 years and imo is league 1 standard.  worthy should have loaned him and crow out last season to get experience and confidence.  jarvis bros both have potential, but  again  need  to be loaned out to  get experinece. if we could only afford to rely on youngsters rather than getting dicko, wright, davs and robbo in on loan, we''d be bottom 6 still.

2 points

1) We are basing Danny crow on being peterboro''s top scorer, him being wanted by bigger clubs, the fact that he would of cost peanuts to keep, the fact the reserves dont score anymore and a more than impressive showing in the first team. Is that ok?

2) El ouargi is an average under 18 player who has failed to stand out, he is a flashy big head from what i have seen and i cant believe that someone wants him on the wing, havent we discovered forwards on the wing dont usually work. (jonson, hendo, ryan J, mcveigh)

No, young players need experience at lower league teams before being given a chance at Championship level, unless they are really outstanding at youth level.  Crow did ok when he played but that was all, if he had make the impact that Shackell did then he would still be at Norwich.  He is at the right level a mid table division 4 side where he can learn his trade, good luck to Peterborough if they want to sell him and thanks for giving the league experience to Drury and McKenzie for us.  We probably should have loaned him there rather than allowed him a free transfer though.

Jarret, Hughes, Etuhu, Robinson are better than our youth players and have all performed better than Hendo and the Jarvis boys, but the latter 3 have not let us down at all, they are valuable members of the squad, who can come in for a few games and do the biz.  Until Ian, Ryan & Rossi can come into the first team and make you go home saying wow what a great game they had, then the next best thing is a loan for 3 months at a Div 4 side and they will learn loads.

Whats wrong with Mansfield unearthing a very good player, just because we have good youth coaching, it does not mean to say that "smaller" sides dont have a good backroom setup.

FA Youth Cup winners link, shows that no team domintes at this level.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFAYouthCup/History/Postings/2002/07/15018.htm

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

2 points

1) We are basing Danny crow on being peterboro''s top scorer, him being wanted by bigger clubs, the fact that he would of cost peanuts to keep, the fact the reserves dont score anymore and a more than impressive showing in the first team. Is that ok?

[/quote]

Not really, look at the top scorers in League One and you''ll find a handful of players who haven''t done it at a higher level. It wouldn''t be peanuts to keep him, it''s still a wage, it''s still a signing fee, it''s still insurance and it''s money you don''t have to spend if as a professional in the game for many years you don''t think they''ll make the required grade. Playing the odd 5-10 minutes in 4 games that were pretty much dead is not impressive, scoring goals in all those games and getting starts is. As for the reserves, remember Mr Coote?

Little wonder that Rossi Jarvis is not signing at the moment, and other clubs are interested in him! What must he feel when Hughes, Jarrett and Charlton (-earlier) are preferred to him? If a player is good enough, he is old enough - look at Walcott at Southanmpton. What message is Worthy sending to our youth - "You can play in the reserves because we don''t have a big enough squad, playing against premiership quality players! But you must wait a long time for even an occasional game in the first team!" It doesn''t make sense. Litttle wonder when Worthy panics and publickly urges Rossi to sign, there is no immediate result!In any other team instead of playing professionals way out of position in emergancy, youngsters are given an occasional game. Unless there is physical danger, an 18 year old, or younger, should be able to play a part.Hendo should be sold or sacked , like Crow and several others,  if he is not good enough as a striker, which is obviously his best position, but to play him occasionally as a winger is not going to help his development. Little wonder that others have noticed that he has not developed over two years! Jarvis senior has been injury prone, but otherwise has sat around. Time for him to play or be exported, I feel! What is Shackell''s destiny, - occasional appearances when he is fit and healthy? He showed last year that he has the talent.If Deano stays, we have a real need in midfield, which I feel will not be properly filled by Robinson, Etuhu, Hughes, Jarrett, etc., then Rossi, Spillane and perhaps one or two other juniors should be tried for a game or two until Safri returns. A three man midfield needs some energy and commitment, and youngsters are not usually lacking in commitment! If our youngsters are not good enough at 18, then let them go, but please, Worthy, don''t just ignore them!

[quote user="ncfc4prem"]Christ this Crowe things''s getting boring, people keep basing their opinions on 20-minutes of first team action[/quote]  No I am basing it on having watched him several times for Peterborough, and last year when I played golf with Jerry Goss he said that Crow had  enough potential to make it in the first team.  I might not know much about players potential, but I think Jerry Goss does.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="silver fox"]

[/quote]

sorry foxy, but hendo has stagnated the last 2 years and imo is league 1 standard.  worthy should have loaned him and crow out last season to get experience and confidence.  jarvis bros both have potential, but  again  need  to be loaned out to  get experinece.

if we could only afford to rely on youngsters rather than getting dicko, wright, davs and robbo in on loan, we''d be bottom 6 still.

[/quote]Players like Henderson will stagnate if they are not given a chance, and although you believe him to be league 1 standard he is still being picked for the England u-20 team.  Crow was loaned out to Northampton last season.  The youngsters at the club certainly don''t lack in confidence, what they lack is a manager who is prepared to give them a chance.

I never quite see the sense in loaning youngsters out to lower league sides when they can get the experience playing for their own club.

I will stand by my initial statement that youngsters coming through the Academy set up are unlikely to make it into the first team at this club whilst Worthy is the manager. 

It looks like there going to have to have a chance now. I think we only have 10 fit outfield players plus, hendo, rossi J, and spillane. We had 12 on saturday plus hendo and rossi J and we''ve now lost colin and safri. Apparently brennans doubtful again and robinson is out i think.

Last Christmas, easily predictable player shortages and a lot of games.

Same thing this year too.

Last season it really did for us.

This season remarkably we have pulled through.

Last season youngsters were played.

This season they will have a chance again.

How many will go on from there? Last season......?

youngsters werent used last season though.. everyone refers to "young" jason Shackell.. lets not forget hes 22 years old!

same for "young" ian Henderson and "young" Ryan Jarvis....

Danny Crow was the only youngster used last season... i can remember him having a go at hucks for a poor cross vs Liverpool.. probably why he isnt here now..

jas :)