Sign in to follow this  
BobLoz3

Schalke

Schalke are still missing some of their biggest players who had African Cup of Nations and Gold Cup games. Although there were plenty of first team players out there. 

The first Bundesliga game is 16th August, so Schalke are about a week/10 days behind Norwich in preparation. Norwich were the first professional team they faced of the pre-season. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Schalke are still missing some of their biggest players who had African Cup of Nations and Gold Cup games. Although there were plenty of first team players out there. 

The first Bundesliga game is 16th August, so Schalke are about a week/10 days behind Norwich in preparation. Norwich were the first professional team they faced of the pre-season. 

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-daniel-farke-schalke-04-1-6171060

I do enjoy these interviews, nobody ever gets too much praise, a kind word or two, some positive remarks and then a reminder of things that need to be done better. Not much chance of heads swelling in our changing room.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Oh, I was getting a bit ahead of myself then.  I was entering super smug mode and taunting my liverpool supporting mates that we were steamrolling Schalke who were ahead of us in their preseason.  

Never mind.  Still 0 - 3 to us at Anfield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Van wink said:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-daniel-farke-schalke-04-1-6171060

I do enjoy these interviews, nobody ever gets too much praise, a kind word or two, some positive remarks and then a reminder of things that need to be done better. Not much chance of heads swelling in our changing room.

Thought we looked good considering this was the first real test as far as opposition goes and could have been a few more. 

Watched the Trybull/Leitner partnership in the middle of the park and they looked good. 

I think that Mo will be our surprise this season, got a funny feeling the Premier League will suit him 👍🏼

• Like 3

Just now, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Thought we looked good considering this was the first real test as far as opposition goes and could have been a few more. 

Watched the Trybull/Leitner partnership in the middle of the park and they looked good. 

I think that Mo will be our surprise this season, got a funny feeling the Premier League will suit him 👍🏼

I'm interested to see how Todd develops next season, he has been over shadowed by our other great young players, but players develop at different speeds and just maybe ...maybe....it could be a big season for him. 

30 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I'm interested to see how Todd develops next season, he has been over shadowed by our other great young players, but players develop at different speeds and just maybe ...maybe....it could be a big season for him. 

He's going to be a top player, he has an air of quality and arrogance about him on the pitch. 

Think he'll get a chance and then we'll see if he takes it like Lewis, Godfrey and Aarons have done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

That’s the opposite of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” isn’t it? If he makes it, you can say I told you so, if he doesn’t you say I only said maybe!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

That’s the opposite of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” isn’t it? If he makes it, you can say I told you so, if he doesn’t you say I only said maybe!

😀

I think he will do well next season, there I've done it!

( there is always the risk that he wont of course )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Going forward they are fine but they are too easy to play through which puts the back four under too much pressure in my opinion. At the moment they probably are the best we’ve got though.

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Going forward they are fine but they are too easy to play through which puts the back four under too much pressure in my opinion. At the moment they probably are the best we’ve got though.

I dont think we get the cover in front of the back 4 that Alex gave us.

9 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

We do have a back four who must be worth £70 million+. You’d hope they will do a decent job. 

Edited by Nuff Said
Re-evaluated what they’re all worth!

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I dont think we get the cover in front of the back 4 that Alex gave us.

This takes us back to the “ we need a good defensive midfielder “ conversation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

We do have a back four who must be worth £70 million+. You’d hope they will do a decent job. 

Not on their own though, we have to defend as a team. After watching the game yesterday I do think Godfrey has to be in the team with one other, probably Klose if he gets fit

28 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Not on their own though, we have to defend as a team. After watching the game yesterday I do think Godfrey has to be in the team with one other, probably Klose if he gets fit

Yes, but surely we all know that we are pretty good at the team thing after seeing last season? Klose would be my first pick, he’s been there and done it already in the PL. I trust Zimbo to do a decent job and rate Hanley higher than many on here seem to, so whoever partners Ben, it’s a decent pairing. Like I say, with Lewis and Aarons, it ought to be a formidable defence. It’s not an impossible scenario to imagine three out of the four bought by teams theoretically rated much higher than we are in 2020, but that’s a topic for another day.

• Like 1

Hanley has looked ok so far and it's interesting that DF went to three at the back towards the end where he was flanked by Godfrey and Lewis while Heise and Byram played as WBs. Both have the capability of playing further up the pitch and will add that option this season.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Yes, but surely we all know that we are pretty good at the team thing after seeing last season? Klose would be my first pick, he’s been there and done it already in the PL. I trust Zimbo to do a decent job and rate Hanley higher than many on here seem to, so whoever partners Ben, it’s a decent pairing. Like I say, with Lewis and Aarons, it ought to be a formidable defence. It’s not an impossible scenario to imagine three out of the four bought by teams theoretically rated much higher than we are in 2020, but that’s a topic for another day.

Terrific back four, and I’m sure they will do a good job for us, but we are going to be defending a lot more next season and imo need that extra bit of cover that someone like Alex gives us, 

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

A lot of that £70 million comes from the attacking potential of the full backs and to some extent good distribution from central defenders ! In the modern game, a lot of a teams attacks rely on its back four, just as its defence relies upon its more forwards players. Particularly teams like us where the team ethos is what made us "better than the sum of our parts."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Funny how we all see things, Fenway - I actually thought we kept things pretty tidy, they really didn’t give us too many worrying moments over 90 mins so I would say TT and Mo didn’t do a bad job at all given the hard working roles that Daniel Farke insists on. A Norwich player nowadays has to do the work of two men, it’s a huge factor behind our success. 

• Like 1

I agree. Schaulke were forced into low percentage shooting chances most of the time and ML and TT don't give away many free kicks in dangerous positions. Barring the giveaway which led to their goal, I thought the midfield was pretty tight throughout and linked well with both the defenders and attackers. Both were involved in our second goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

we are going to be defending a lot more next season

I don't think this is necessarily true. There were plenty of games last season where we were attacked for large parts of games, as well as games where we dominated....either way we generally came away with points.  I think we will find it fairly similar in terms of what we have to do - and if we play Leitner and the kind of posession game we had during his spell in the team last season, then I think we wil surporise a lot of teams.   

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. There were plenty of games last season where we were attacked for large parts of games, as well as games where we dominated....either way we generally came away with points.  I think we will find it fairly similar in terms of what we have to do - and if we play Leitner and the kind of posession game we had during his spell in the team last season, then I think we wil surporise a lot of teams.   

We aren't going to dominate the ball against the top half Premier League teams the way we did against our 23 opponents last season. We'll definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, defend more this season because our opposition will be better with the ball.

Just watched the highlights- looked like some good movement going forward and Pukki pulling defenders all over the place.

Some of the Schalke defending was suicidal though.

31 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We aren't going to dominate the ball against the top half Premier League teams the way we did against our 23 opponents last season. We'll definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, defend more this season because our opposition will be better with the ball.

and have much higher quality strikers, though I thought the way we coped with Schaulke was encouraging.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We didn't dominate the ball against all 23 teams last season.  Quite the opposite in some cases.