Sign in to follow this  
pete

Sheff U panic buy

The first sign Sheff U are panicking instead of signing a star on a free pr signing an international they are splashing out over £9m om the not so prolific 3 goals in 55 matches Dousett from Bournemouth. Doesn't seem clever business from Wilder.  Time will tell of course but no evidence this is an astute piece of business.  They could have signed RVW for less but that didn't work out so well.

1 hour ago, pete said:

The first sign Sheff U are panicking instead of signing a star on a free pr signing an international they are splashing out over £9m om the not so prolific 3 goals in 55 matches Dousett from Bournemouth. Doesn't seem clever business from Wilder.  Time will tell of course but no evidence this is an astute piece of business.  They could have signed RVW for less but that didn't work out so well.

They are only paying half that fee up front, the rest is based on performance stuff. 

Moussett is a good player, just couldn’t get ahead of King and Wilson. 

Sheff U are also trying to get in one of Maupay or McBurnie to be their main striker. 

Wilder is being classic Wilder - he’s going for some risky signings knowing he can get a extra bit out of players, like he has being doing for the last three years. 

It may be yellow tinted specs but I still think we will be the strongest of the 3 teams coming up. 

I've no idea how good he is but if he's been playing 2nd fiddle at Bournemouth, he's going to be expecting first Team action at Blades, or why bother moving. 

That said, if they pick up McBurnie or Maupay, where does that leave Sharp and McGoldrick, they can't play them all.

23 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I've no idea how good he is but if he's been playing 2nd fiddle at Bournemouth, he's going to be expecting first Team action at Blades, or why bother moving. 

That said, if they pick up McBurnie or Maupay, where does that leave Sharp and McGoldrick, they can't play them all.

I'd expect Wilder to stick to his 3-4-1-2 formation and play two strikers. Billy Sharp is 33 and David McGoldrick is 31 (with a history of injury problems). Last season they brought in Scott Hogan and Gary Madine on loan, both have gone back to their parent clubs.

Sharp just will not get the opportunities he had. Teemu won't either but he adds so much outside of scoring as well. I think maybe this chap is not just about scoring.

I like McBurnie - was quite relieved when he was ill/injured when Swansea came to Carrow Road.  They were one of the better teams to play us, but that night, they really missed him.  He's definitely a Sheff U type of player - moreso than Maupay.

The key here for us is that it feels like we have a strategy whereas I genuinely don't think the other two promoted sides do. If equal last season by finishing above Villa and Sheff Utd then we stand a strong chance of staying up. Newcastle are imploding. Palace potentially also. Brighton and Watford will have to over achieve again... it's promising.

42 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

The key here for us is that it feels like we have a strategy whereas I genuinely don't think the other two promoted sides do. If equal last season by finishing above Villa and Sheff Utd then we stand a strong chance of staying up. Newcastle are imploding. Palace potentially also. Brighton and Watford will have to over achieve again... it's promising.

While I agree that Norwich have a strategy, I wouldn’t agree the other teams don’t. 

Villa have signed a lot, but mostly players that either worked with Dean Smith at Villa or were at Villa on loan. The recruitment seems pretty joined up, the fees are large but as they have a lot to get done I can see they are prepared to pay over the odds in order to get them done quickly. 

Sheff U are using the same strategy that Wilder has always used there. But with more money than before. They are also re-tooling the squad to work well for different challenge. Last season they had little pace and weren’t great at countering teams - adding players like Freeman and Moussett gives them players who have the pace, can dribble and create chances. 

This window has shown in general that Premier League teams are getting better at recruitment in general.