Sign in to follow this  
Ramrod

Norwich Legend in Germany

Back when Delia Smith was doing a recipe slot on local TV Lilly Kemp was arranging the only coach to most Norwich away games. 

In those days we took half the number of fans who watched the Germany training session and our small number often didn't warrant segregation.

An East End girl with a Norfolk name the return pub trips were great especially the ones in Walthamstow or the West End. 

Great to see her looking so well. I have no idea how old she is but she must be 'getting on.' 

She should get her season ticket for free. 

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

She did get her season ticket for free last season, she was actually given two because she won 'Fan of the Year'! She was 88 then, so must be 89 or 90 by now. What a legend.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/lilian-kemp-fan-norwich-city-1-5476435

I didn't know that. Brilliant and how sprightly is she?

My association is the late 1970's - Reeves, Fashanu, Peters etc. 

Good on her. 

First met Blackpool away in 71. We had travelled over night. She and others were waiting for the City coach to get comps. I remember her talking to Keelan and her having a voice like Peggy Mount. Always saw her at away games, big bar scarf festooned with enamel badges. Was the beneficiary of a lift back fom Orient in 78. Fell asleep on the B'pool coach and so missed the B'pool lights. Just hope someone sits her down to write a book about her times following City. That would need a volume or two. ☺️

• Like 1

Great old girl is Lil.

Her stamina in following the team is incredible. Her only concession to advancing years is that she’s abandoned her famous scarf which to be fair must weigh a ton. It would be lovely if the club could become custodians one day as it’s truly unique and sums up Lil’s undying love for her Canaries.

Always game for a laugh I remember her being at one particularly boisterous all-night party in London after an away game in the 70’s.

One in a million....

I first saw her, mid seventies, no idea who she was but as a kid going to all the London games she was always there with that huge scarf. 

Great to see her still out there following the Team long may it continue. 

I know many of you (who’ve not commented) have either met, or know, Lily, but I’d love to meet her one day. Who can sort this for me?! She’s a proper City fan to the highest degree 👍

16 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I know many of you (who’ve not commented) have either met, or know, Lily, but I’d love to meet her one day. Who can sort this for me?! She’s a proper City fan to the highest degree 👍

She's often in the Nelson after the game. Let us know when you're about and I'll see if I can arrange it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

It's about time she was honoured 'for services to football'. Someone like Ed Balls should have the right contacts.

Anyone can nominate someone for an award.

https://www.gov.uk/honours

Edited by A Load of Squit
orfall tiepin
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

She's often in the Nelson after the game. Let us know when you're about and I'll see if I can arrange it.

Cheers Lapps, hopefully up for the Chelsea game - hope you are well pal 👍

On 17/07/2019 at 15:01, Ramrod said:

Back when Delia Smith was doing a recipe slot on local TV Lilly Kemp was arranging the only coach to most Norwich away games. 

In those days we took half the number of fans who watched the Germany training session and our small number often didn't warrant segregation.

An East End girl with a Norfolk name the return pub trips were great especially the ones in Walthamstow or the West End. 

Great to see her looking so well. I have no idea how old she is but she must be 'getting on.' 

She should get her season ticket for free. 

Mascot coaches! Those were the days. Left from Bell Avenue (now beneath the Castle Mall shopping centre) extremely early in the morning.