That player seems to be consistently improving a lot since he first came.

Many, including myself, thought that he was a bit of a donkey at first, but there's clearly more to him than that.

I still feel that he's a million miles away from PL standard, but he should be capable of doing the occasional job and should fetch a decent fee if any club at a lower/his level fancies him.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Don't know about being 'turned' but he often ended up playing that role when he came on last season. Decent feet and enough strength to be an option off the bench when chasing a game

And before someone like Til tells me he's useless and shouldn't be near a Premier League squad, I give you Wilbraham.

I saw the article by Farke following the signing of SB yesterday saying we now have 2 players for every position.

I did wonder who the competition for Marco was and I for 1 want Srbeny to be involved. He arrived with a disgruntled Oli ahead of him and did manage to show some good progress after his arrival.

I am glad this preseason he is also showing a good early impression. By the end of the transfer window we will know but it is good to not see him sidelined like Marshall and Husband.

He has built a cohesion on the field with many of the first team, so although it may have been on show for the first team rarely. It does go to show that in training he has developed that relationship on the field.

Farke seems to be very, very good at developing players and Srbeny had a similarish profile (age, CV) to Zimmermann when he arrived. Zimmermann has come on leaps and bounds in 24 months, so maybe Srbeny has in 18? The difference is that Srbeny saw very little game time last season so we can't really judge him.

Just now, hogesar said:

And before someone like Til tells me he's useless and shouldn't be near a Premier League squad, I give you Wilbraham.

Benny Till has been notable by his absence for a couple of days, I wonder if he took advice on board and asked his significant other about his predeliction for those scantily clad young lovelies.........and had his laptop lid slammed down on his hands, rendering him unable to type or perform other manually dextrous tasks. 

Ps  Sberny has exceeded expectations over the last season. Until he is surplus to requirements , he will do the job he is asked, to the best of his ability.  

Marco is a rather unconventional number 10, very different to Wes for example.

Srbeny is much more in the Stiepermann style. He is strong carrying the ball, has a decent shot on him from outside the area and can win a header in that area of the pitch. So IMO he is a decent cover in that position

Pleased for Denis, works hard, is popular with most of the fanbase and it would seem that he has found a meaningful role in time for the Premier League Season.

26 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Pleased for Denis, works hard, is popular with most of the fanbase and it would seem that he has found a meaningful role in time for the Premier League Season.

He had the loudest chants going for him in the friendly - even before he scored.

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

He had the loudest chants going for him in the friendly - even before he scored.

I did say 'most of the fanbase' because there's somebody out there just itching to point out that he's not Premier League quality. Club's in crisis.....

I think he’s a much better player than we give him credit for. When called upon, he literally always produces the goods, and he should be recognised for that. His goal on Sunday was class. I’d much rather have him here than Rhodes, in the nicest possible way.

Best driving forward with the ball and shooting. Last season I always felt positive when he was brought on when we were chasing a goal. Always felt he could score.

Agree that Srbeny's best position is in the Stiepi role, though his skills are different. DF has improved those over time, including his movement off the ball (resulting in his goal on Sunday) as well as some clever touches to set up others. His reading of the game is also improved, with clever stepovers to allow the ball to run to better placed players. Certainly adds another option that we didn't seem to have last season and with Leitner and Vrančić also able to play there, I think that position is covered. I'd still like to see a CB/DM option added though.

I'd expect there to be a fair amount of versatility in the front four. Drmic can play just behind I think, and also Pukki started last season playing 10 behind Rhodes remember! There's also a chance that they might play three in midfield, or even play Vrancic/Leitner at a slightly deeper 10. Dennis just offers us another layer of versatility. 

1 hour ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Agree that Srbeny's best position is in the Stiepi role, though his skills are different. DF has improved those over time, including his movement off the ball (resulting in his goal on Sunday) as well as some clever touches to set up others. His reading of the game is also improved, with clever stepovers to allow the ball to run to better placed players. Certainly adds another option that we didn't seem to have last season and with Leitner and Vrančić also able to play there, I think that position is covered. I'd still like to see a CB/DM option added though.

Can we all just take it as read that every post includes the statement that we’d like another defensive midfielder in the squad, unless explicitly stated otherwise? Would save a lot of typing. And reading.

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Can we all just take it as read that every post includes the statement that we’d like another defensive midfielder in the squad, unless explicitly stated otherwise? Would save a lot of typing. And reading.

Fair nuff, Nuff Said!

• Like 1

Srbeny played more as a deep forward when he was in Germany. So going to a 10, especially the way Farke has used his last season, isn’t the biggest stretch. 

I still don’t think Srbeny has all the necessary skills to make a significant contribution, his first touch is wanting for example, but could be a versatile squad option. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he does end up back in Germany by the time the season rolls around, but Norwich obviously aren’t pushing him out the door like Ben Marshall and Nelson. 

He's fine as a third/fourth choice to chuck on for the odd 10 minutes here or there but I really don't see anything more from him.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

He's fine as a third/fourth choice to chuck on for the odd 10 minutes here or there but I really don't see anything more from him.

Agreed, I'd be worried if we were forced to start with him.  I'd hope that Drmic and Pukki will be our main strikers, and if one or both are suspended/injured, Idah will step in - although in truth we have no idea if he is capable of what would be a massive step up. 

All this assumes Mr Rhodes isn't coming back - if he does, Srbeny and/or Idah will surely go out on loan.

Think Dennis could do a job but will he make the squad.  The numbers are confusing if 25 need a certain number of English registered if 21 no need for English as I understand from a previous post.  May have enough of our foreign contingent

Pretty much this.

I have seen next to nothing to convince me he can be an effective premier league player - and in my opinion struggled to leave an impression in the championship . 

He will need a lot more than decent showing against a 4th tier side to convince Farke to give him any minutes in the PL.

Edited by HertsCanary93

Looks like he’s certainly improved under the current set up, will he be our next Zimmermann who knows, but like seeing players improve, fingers crossed he can help do a job.

Idah not looking too bad either, as said big lad with quick feet, good Football brain and both have been given the summer to force a spot in the squad.

5 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sberny has exceeded expectations over the last season.

Those are some low, low expectations.

4 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

When called upon, he literally always produces the goods, and he should be recognised for that.

And this is some heavy abuse of the word literally.

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

When called upon, he literally always produces the goods, and he should be recognised for that.

And this is some heavy abuse of the word literally. 

But he has done well as a sub when called upon - he's not been called upon often, but the two occasions that come to mind are the Birmingham away game where his impact brought about our equaliser and also his goal against QPR(?).  Not to mention his performances and goals in the cup games.  Not many thought Stiepermann was going to do much last season after his first season, so you never know.....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But he has done well as a sub when called upon - he's not been called upon often, but the two occasions that come to mind are the Birmingham away game where his impact brought about our equaliser and also his goal against QPR(?).  Not to mention his performances and goals in the cup games.  Not many thought Stiepermann was going to do much last season after his first season, so you never know.....

Expectations are low for him so basically if he doesn't come on and **** the bed we're happy. Birmingham is the only time I can remember him making a tangible impact last season- he was just as likely to come on and make zero impact as he was to do anything useful. Such is the life of a perma sub I guess but let's not pretend he has done all that much.

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Being turned into a no 10?  Looked very influential in the friendly yesterday from that position.

Do tell us what that means

Does it preclude him from certain parts of the pitch ?

Is it like a cricket fielder's placing ?