Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

So it's been confirmed today that they've signed Ravel Morrison. Considering the world tour he has been on in recent years, which has generally been a result of his latest club sending him as far away as possible as soon as possible, it isn't exactly a signing that worries me. The man has seemingly wasted more talent in his career than Fulham wasted money last year. 

Then there's Phil Jagielka. OK, he was a very good defender for many years and I liked him a lot, but how much does he have left at 36? 

There are also Luke Freeman and Callum Robinson. They're not bad, but are they players who we expect to take the Premier League by storm? They were decent in the Championship but they weren't exactly standout players.

I'm not sure what Sheffield United's scouting network is like, but it doesn't seem to be very vast. It's a bit like Cardiff last season: an old school British manager not wanting to stray from what they know. Cardiff were a tight unit last season and punched above their weight, but even that wasn't nearly enough. 

It seems completely different to what we're trying to do. A more modern, continental setup with the director of football and head coach, and a recruitment/scouting department that has clearly been active all over Europe for the past couple of years.

It'll be interesting to see which approach fares better this season, but I don't really like the look of what Sheffield United are building so far. Obviously we've still got a few weeks to go before the window closes, but I'd be surprised if we see a change in their strategy. Someone like Maupay or McBurnie could change the outlook, but it doesn't seem like they want to look much further afield should those players prove out of their reach.

Between ourselves, Sheffield United and Aston Villa there seems to be three wildly different transfer strategies, and it'll be interesting to see which one pays off. I don't want to tempt fate, but I don't think it'll be Sheffield United...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours certainly looks the most stable for the long term. If all three of us come down, then I’d guess we’ll finish highest the first season down and be the first of the three to go back up. 

Which of the strategies actually works, who knows. All transfers are, to an extent, a gamble, so I’d rather be taking our approach Then either of the others. Even if we go down and Villa stay up, I wouldn’t change how we have gone about things this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be fascinating to see how the season develops.  I think we will hold our own and see no reason that we can't make a real impact on the  division. We have quality right through the squad, a great way of playing and a management that want the game to be enjoyed and not stressed about - and that could be a real benefit in a league where so much rests on clubs being desperate to stay up.  Sheff Utd will be good, but not good enough, Villa will struggle imo, as will Newcastle again. Brighton, Wet Spam, Southampton and Burnley too.  Heck I even think Chelsea and Man Utd will not be a major force next season.  The world is our lobster..... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheffield United seem to be adopting the Cardiff approach, improving their squad to tackle the Championship a second time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheff U are just getting warmed up it seems. The ownership issues have caused problems in agreeing transfer budget etc. 

They are pursuing McBurnie and Maupay (although likely to only sign one), and had a big offer (around €20m) for Sander Berge, who is excellent, knocked back. 

Luke Freeman could be a great signing for them, and Wilder has always managed to get top performances out of seemingly average players. They obviously don’t have an extensive scouting network as they are only relatively recently out of League One. They are probably doing the right thing in avoiding dubious continental signings as they don’t have the background knowledge to make such decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see them surviving (with us). I liked what I saw of them last season and they were, in my opinion, probably the best team to come to Carrow Road. They have a noisy passionate crowd behind them and have recently popped up from L1 which will provide incentive.

They had few players on loan and similar to us a number keen to show the footballing world what they can achieve. Wilder, whether you like him or not is clearly a motivator and with a good wind behind them they could push on. A proper team.

However, I am really looking forward to seeing how our season unravels and secretly expect us to finish comfortably in mid table with some really eye catching displays. I honestly can not wait.

Our style of football (which has been the hall mark of NCFC for years) will be lauded. Mark my words.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilder has a different ethos and likes to have British players. It’s served them well just as our strategy has us. They seem to be addressing the areas I thought they would struggle which is creativity and pace going forward so I wouldn’t be laughing at them yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheffield Uniteds strategy worked very well for us under Lambert.

Their approach is different to ours, but no less valid in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wishful thinking methinks wishing Sheff Utd will get relegated and City survive.  Our approach is prudence based on our finances and Delia's economic model after the profligacy of previous managers being steered by the astute Webber.  A struggle is the most likely outcome whilst hoping we can carry on from the magnificent previous season.  Remember Wilder is a genius all those awards last season not entirely fairly won Farke and Webber's efforts to win the Championship was I would consider was the better managerial performance, however maybe a biased view.

 I am hopeful City's plan comes off and Villa's crash and burn.  Whether we survive or not a repeat of last years performances will ensure happiness and if we fail I believe City will be in the better position to be the yoyo team we have become and continue to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pete said:

Wishful thinking methinks wishing Sheff Utd will get relegated and City survive.  Our approach is prudence based on our finances and Delia's economic model after the profligacy of previous managers being steered by the astute Webber.  A struggle is the most likely outcome whilst hoping we can carry on from the magnificent previous season.  Remember Wilder is a genius all those awards last season not entirely fairly won Farke and Webber's efforts to win the Championship was I would consider was the better managerial performance, however maybe a biased view.

 I am hopeful City's plan comes off and Villa's crash and burn.  Whether we survive or not a repeat of last years performances will ensure happiness and if we fail I believe City will be in the better position to be the yoyo team we have become and continue to be. 

Wow.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So it's been confirmed today that they've signed Ravel Morrison. Considering the world tour he has been on in recent years, which has generally been a result of his latest club sending him as far away as possible as soon as possible, it isn't exactly a signing that worries me. The man has seemingly wasted more talent in his career than Fulham wasted money last year. 

Then there's Phil Jagielka. OK, he was a very good defender for many years and I liked him a lot, but how much does he have left at 36? 

There are also Luke Freeman and Callum Robinson. They're not bad, but are they players who we expect to take the Premier League by storm? They were decent in the Championship but they weren't exactly standout players.

I'm not sure what Sheffield United's scouting network is like, but it doesn't seem to be very vast. It's a bit like Cardiff last season: an old school British manager not wanting to stray from what they know. Cardiff were a tight unit last season and punched above their weight, but even that wasn't nearly enough. 

It seems completely different to what we're trying to do. A more modern, continental setup with the director of football and head coach, and a recruitment/scouting department that has clearly been active all over Europe for the past couple of years.

It'll be interesting to see which approach fares better this season, but I don't really like the look of what Sheffield United are building so far. Obviously we've still got a few weeks to go before the window closes, but I'd be surprised if we see a change in their strategy. Someone like Maupay or McBurnie could change the outlook, but it doesn't seem like they want to look much further afield should those players prove out of their reach.

Between ourselves, Sheffield United and Aston Villa there seems to be three wildly different transfer strategies, and it'll be interesting to see which one pays off. I don't want to tempt fate, but I don't think it'll be Sheffield United...

To be fair, you can't argue with wilders success with mostly brits. Having said that, the way they play could result in lots of pens and res cards next season,they tend to be strong and aggressive so VAR could be a big factor for them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glory.win or die. said:

To be fair, you can't argue with wilders success with mostly brits. Having said that, the way they play could result in lots of pens and res cards next season,they tend to be strong and aggressive so VAR could be a big factor for them 

They’ll also need to re-evaluate their playing style, having overlapping centre halfs against premier league quality is a dangerous way to play.

I’m happy with the prudence philosophy as there has to be an element of planning for coming straight back down plus playing with the base of what was here last season plus some good additions is far less disruptive on the group and also makes pre-season simpler when only adding in a limited number.

I think what we’ve added in has been sensible; top quality keeper, a very good highly rated cover for Aarons, Roberts clearly is a talent and from watching the highlights is mobile and Drmic can score penalties 😁

I’m quite excited to see how a wide combination of Buendia and Roberts would work, don’t expect either to stay out wide and will make us difficult to defend against with movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

 I wouldn’t be laughing at them yet!

I'm not laughing at them at all: I just don't rate their transfer business thus far.

2 hours ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Sheffield Uniteds strategy worked very well for us under Lambert.

That's more the exception than the rule.

2 hours ago, pete said:

Wishful thinking methinks wishing Sheff Utd will get relegated and City survive.   

I don't wish for them to be relegated. In fact, I hope they stay up with us.

1 hour ago, glory.win or die. said:

To be fair, you can't argue with wilders success with mostly brits. 

In the lower leagues, he has little choice but to work with mostly Brits. Clubs in the Football League don't have the scouting networks to do otherwise. In the Premier League you're competing with worldwide scouting networks so limiting yourself to one country- especially one where the players cost a bomb- probably isn't the best way forward. I do however accept that it's best to stick to what you know rather than take expensive gambles.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to disagree and say Sheff Utd won’t stand a chance. They’re my favourites for relegation - the quintessential decent Championship side, but completely unsuited to the Premier League. This season’s Cardiff. Might be wrong, but I don’t think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's more the exception than the rule

There is no rule though - if there was then staying up would be a breeze. Arguably the closest to the rule would be bringing in Big Sam/Pulis and punting it to a 6 ft 5 target man for 38 games.

Each team seems to be doubling down on the strategies that got them promoted and it is hard to argue with that. Wilder has a strategy that has been effective and he wants to find players that compliment that strategy - exactly what Farke is doing.

I don't think our strategy is exactly the rule to staying in the premier league either.

Edited by HertsCanary93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HertsCanary93 said:

There is no rule though - if there was then staying up would be a breeze.

Each team seems to be doubling down on the strategies that got them promoted and it is hard to argue with that. Wilder has a strategy that has been effective and he wants to find players that compliment that strategy - exactly what Farke is doing.

I don't think our strategy is exactly the rule to staying in the premier league either.

Points taken, but if you look at previous clubs who have used the Sheffield United approach, it usually doesn't work. They generally end up having a great team spirit and cohesion but are a little bit 'limited' by Premier League standards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pete said:

Wishful thinking methinks wishing Sheff Utd will get relegated and City survive.  Our approach is prudence based on our finances and Delia's economic model after the profligacy of previous managers being steered by the astute Webber.  A struggle is the most likely outcome whilst hoping we can carry on from the magnificent previous season.  Remember Wilder is a genius all those awards last season not entirely fairly won Farke and Webber's efforts to win the Championship was I would consider was the better managerial performance, however maybe a biased view.

 I am hopeful City's plan comes off and Villa's crash and burn.  Whether we survive or not a repeat of last years performances will ensure happiness and if we fail I believe City will be in the better position to be the yoyo team we have become and continue to be. 

Who are you and what have you done with pete..?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×