Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Player diets

Just now, king canary said:

Sounds like a good attitude to have- I've had to block a couple of vegans on social media who insist on posting about nothing but it all day every day. Equally there are quite a few meat eaters who seem to take people going vegan as a personal affront (see Piers Morgan and his weird reaction to the vegan sausage rolls).

Ha! Yeah, Piers is a huge slab of gammon though isn't he? He was always going to be offended by people not wishing to enjoy the taste of salty meats (his face, covered in sweat... urgh). Stick a pineapple on it too while we're at it! 😉

In all seriousness... His reaction was RIDICULOUS. But there we are. Needs something to argue about at 7am I guess.

Yep, some of these new vegans are f**+ing infuriating and it is massively boring to see them continually sharing content about their latest fad. It is that for a lot of them, by the way, so you may get to unblock them eventually and mock them for eating a bacon sarnie!

3 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yes! I have friends who literally just drink hot water and lemon! Very nice indeed...

I'm ok with it now. I have been a herbivore for a while and if I decide to take that next step and move to purely plant based it will be my decision. It's one I've toyed with for some time and I've just found it a little trickier to make that move.

Regardless, I think being dogmatic about this sort of thing is pretty dumb. There are so many virtue signalling vegans out there that it rather annoys me. Almost seems for a lot of them it's more about the fashion... Fitting in with a certain crowd etc. Also lots of business people who have made a killing out of the trend, despite not fully believing in it themselves. That's fine and all...we all like money I guess! I just think it's a little hypocritical.

Indeed Bobo, a friend of my wife's is exactly the kind of virtue signalling hypocrite you have described, she will bang on  endlessly about her choices ' for a better world, a better me' yet I have spotted her more than once at the deli counter in the local petrol station, buying all sorts of processed, high salt, high fat , high sugar  'treats'.  Yet she would berate all at a friendly gathering for their dietary choices. I make a point of reminding her of her little indiscretions. Needless to say that I'm not her favourite person, or she mine.

We've started meat free Mondays, mainly due to the environmental impact of the meat industry as opposed to any ethical concerns (we're naturally designed to eat and digest meat, after all).

If I could flick a button and not like meat or cow's milk I would do it in a heartbeat but I just love meat and cereal  (with milk on it) too much.

Edited by canarydan23

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Indeed Bobo, a friend of my wife's is exactly the kind of virtue signalling hypocrite you have described, she will bang on  endlessly about her choices ' for a better world, a better me' yet I have spotted her more than once at the deli counter in the local petrol station, buying all sorts of processed, high salt, high fat , high sugar  'treats'.  Yet she would berate all at a friendly gathering for their dietary choices. I make a point of reminding her of her little indiscretions. Needless to say that I'm not her favourite person, or she mine.

That sounds rather annoying! But I also think it's worth pulling people up on their bullsh1t whatever that may be.

One thing I will say is that not everyone who decides to move to this lifestyle is obsessed with health and nutrition. A lot of people do it because they think they'll lose weight, granted, but it does mean not eating the kinds of food you described. But that would be the same if you were a meat eater.

There is a strange perception that people think it will make them healthier. For me, going veggie as a teenager was really good as I was a bit chubby and I'd literally eat anything! Ever since, it's almost like my metabolism has changed as I weigh about 10.5 stone wet through now! I don't really put on weight either... It doesn't work for everyone that way though and I have seen plenty of obese vegans. This is because they eat a shed load of vegan junk food, or because their metabolism isn't as fast as some others.

Also, should be noted that many vegans and vegetarians LIKE the taste of meat. Hence the substitutes and the creation of places like Temple of Seitan (brilliant name, brilliant place!) It is more of a moral or ethical choice for most, not that they didn't previously enjoy munching on a sausage... :classic_blush:

But to go back to Lakey's OP. A plant based diet likely would help sports performance for some, but I also think that having a sports nutritionist around all the time would help massively. Not everyone has that benefit.

"Yes! I have friends who literally just drink hot water and lemon! Very nice indeed..."

An Earl Grey hits the spot too. 🧐👍

Apples

• Haha 1

You also have to be careful, when not eating meat, to avoid catching Vaginitis

• Haha 1

On a serious note, have to applaud those that do manage to avoid meat on a regular basis. For me it forms 80% of our evening meals in one way or another? That can't be good, not really. But I personally wouldn't cope without!

31 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

but I just love meat and cereal  (with milk on it) too much

Ok so I’m a long time vegetarian, but have to say that dish does sound yucky

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Try a slice of lemon instead. Far more refreshing

I returned from a holiday in China 15 years ago and never wanted milk in tea again. My taste buds changed and now I really can enjoy other teas just as they are, naked without being spoilt by milk. 

I imagine we can train ourselves to accept changes in diet, not that i choose to atm.

I'm glad this almost saintly thread has exposed those two heartless accessories to meat murder, Angus Gunn and Josh Murphy.

Outed when filmed one evening gnawing away in a Norwich kebab shop did they care they were sticking two fingers up at the nutritionists scientifically calculated finely tuned diets ? Did they hell.

We don't need these unsavoury types associated with our wholesome gambling-sponsored community club.

Good riddance...😉

The gradual changes I have made to my diet have been largely just to try and eat more healthily and my conclusion, having spent quite a lot of time researching what is best for me is to go mostly plant based and once a week having a piece of fish, or an egg or two.  

The big difference I have found is that as well as not wanting to eat red meat, I no longer want chips or greasy food, sausage rolls etc - and even chicken has become more unpalattable as time goes on.....it seems your taste buds change the more you go into plant based food...and food in general seems much more tasty than before. 

22 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I'm glad this almost saintly thread has exposed those two heartless accessories to meat murder, Angus Gunn and Josh Murphy.

Outed when filmed one evening gnawing away in a Norwich kebab shop did they care they were sticking two fingers up at the nutritionists scientifically calculated finely tuned diets ? Did they hell.

watch this 😳

I doubt many footballers eat red meat very often. I read an article somewhere (maybe 442 magazine) about Diego Forlan’s diet and it was commented on by a sports nutritionist - this was ages ago, I’m sure Forman was stil last Man Utd, so what, ten years ago plus? He ate a lot of white fish if I remember correctly and chicken, but not a lot of red meat.

I don’t particularly enjoy red meat (but willing eat it if to avoid being rude when a guest etc.) and I could take or leave chicken. I would say at least four or five days a week I don’t eat meat - but that’s more my tastes than any moral or fitness reasons. 

Footballers run a lot most days during training (so need fuel) and they need to be lean (not much muscle). I’d guess there’s a lot of white meat, fish, brown rice, vegetables and protein shakes/dairy.

I'm guessing all Premier League clubs will have experts planning every player's diet down to the finest detail. Obviously they're only human and will be allowed some leeway, but in order to make it at the very top nowadays, players will have to follow it as closely as possible. Elite footballers have to be as near to physical perfection as they can be. 

As for veganism, everybody who turns vegan seems to love it, hence the stereotype/reputation for telling everyone about it within five minutes of meeting someone. I've recently tried to cut down on red meat (basically I've stopped eating it at home) but really all that has done has increased my chicken intake, although I'm trying to eat more lentils and legumes. I don't think I could ever give up meat though, personally.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yes! I have friends who literally just drink hot water and lemon! Very nice indeed...

I'm ok with it now. I have been a herbivore for a while and if I decide to take that next step and move to purely plant based it will be my decision. It's one I've toyed with for some time and I've just found it a little trickier to make that move.

Regardless, I think being dogmatic about this sort of thing is pretty dumb. There are so many virtue signalling vegans out there that it rather annoys me. Almost seems for a lot of them it's more about the fashion... Fitting in with a certain crowd etc. Also lots of business people who have made a killing out of the trend, despite not fully believing in it themselves. That's fine and all...we all like money I guess! I just think it's a little hypocritical.

People can eat what they want as far as I am concerned and if they want to go vegan then I don't stop them. But most of them don't have a reciprocal attitude to carnivores.

Recently, I was in a vegetarian restaurant with my vegetarian sister and her husband and the server handed out the menus. I asked him what were the non-vegetarian options and he pointed to a list of vegan choices.

No, I said, I mean the meat options.

But this is a vegetarian restaurant, he replied.

Well I knew that but when we eat in other restaurants  there's always vegetarian and vegan options and gluten and lactose intolerances are catered for.  So I asked why they don't cater for those who want to eat meat with a couple of options?

Well the server got quite snotty as though I'd suggested I wanted to butcher a goat on the dining room floor or something, and he suggested I go eat elsewhere. If a server said that to a vegetarian in any other restaurant there would be a massive public outcry.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Funny, I’ve never really missed steak. What did bother me when I was first a vegetarian 30+ years ago was there was no veggie junk food.  The best you could get was a packet of Sosmix from Holland and Barrett. It’s fair to say it was sausage in shape only.

Now Greggs are selling vegan sausage rolls! But tell that to young vegans today, and they won’t believe you.

An old work collegue was gutted to realise he couldn't eat cheese and onion Walkers when he became veggie,  one of the only flavours to have animal product in them. (I think they have changed their ingredients now.)

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

People can eat what they want as far as I am concerned and if they want to go vegan then I don't stop them. But most of them don't have a reciprocal attitude to carnivores.

Recently, I was in a vegetarian restaurant with my vegetarian sister and her husband and the server handed out the menus. I asked him what were the non-vegetarian options and he pointed to a list of vegan choices.

Well I knew that but when we eat in other restaurants  there's always vegetarian and vegan options and gluten and lactose intolerances are catered for.  So I asked why they don't cater for those who want to eat meat with a couple of options?

Well the server got quite snotty as though I'd suggested I wanted to butcher a goat on the dining room floor or something, and he suggested I go eat elsewhere. If a server said that to a vegetarian in any other restaurant there would be a massive public outcry.

There’s always one. Are you going to tell us white middle class men are an oppressed minority next?

1 hour ago, Herman said:

An old work collegue was gutted to realise he couldn't eat cheese and onion Walkers when he became veggie,  one of the only flavours to have animal product in them. (I think they have changed their ingredients now.)

Yep, for a long time they were on my “don’t ask, don’t tell” list. Along with most cheese (I believe the use of rennet is declining now, at least that’s what I tell myself) and wine and beer. Which reminds me - why is beer made without finings called vegan? It implies somehow that finings are ok if you’re veggie.

Having just googled it, apparently milk and egg are used sometimes. I thought it was traditionally isinglass (weirdly, made from the swim bladders of fish, which sounds like a very niche product).

16 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

There’s always one. Are you going to tell us white middle class men are an oppressed minority next?

If we have to accommodate vegans why carnivores can't be accommodated in the same way?

It's difficult to know what you're eating nowadays, especially the processed foods. I'm sure everyone remembers mad cow disease, one of Her Majesty's members of Parliament shoving a burger down his childs throat to alleviate the panic.

Then Edwina announcing that most of our eggs were contaminated became headline news. 

In New Zealand, we have a reputation for being clean and green, yet we have 5 million people and 25 million sheep. Apparently,  the methane produced, (from the sheep, not the people) causes more environmental damage than cars.

Meanwhile, the Silver Ferns (netball) and the All Blacks are on TV advising that we eat red meat 3 to 4 times a week. 

I'm sure that NZ sport is as clued in as everyone else when it comes to diet, so who's right?

Mixed messages aplenty, as has been mentioned everybody's different, I eat a lot of chicken and fish and avoid red meat as I find it harder to digest, I've been to vegetarian restaurants and had a lovely meal so I don't have an issue either way. 

Ultimately, as ever, it's down to personal choice, that's why there are Companies delivering fast food to people who can't be bothered to get out of the chair to prepare good food because X factor is on.

Who thought Uber Eats would ever become a thing?....

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

No. Because I have absolutely no idea what you are saying here. 

9 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

If we have to accommodate vegans why carnivores can't be accommodated in the same way?

1) Because carnivorous food is the default in restaurants in British society. How many tines have you gone out to eat and thought “I want to eat meat but there’s nowhere that serves it”? Once, and you were in a vegetarian restaurant at the time?

2) Because the restaurant you were in specifically advertised itself as vegetarian. Do you go in a seafood restaurant and ask for steak? Or an Indian restaurant and demand Chinese food?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Not really mate! It's a vegetarian restaurant. Why would they have any meat there?

It's an issue of cross contamination. You can't call yourself a vegan or vegetarian restaurant if you're also preparing meat there.

I do get the point, but it's a bit of a moot one...

56 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

1) Because carnivorous food is the default in restaurants in British society. How many tines have you gone out to eat and thought “I want to eat meat but there’s nowhere that serves it”? Once, and you were in a vegetarian restaurant at the time?

2) Because the restaurant you were in specifically advertised itself as vegetarian. Do you go in a seafood restaurant and ask for steak? Or an Indian restaurant and demand Chinese food?

Exactly.

This is like the people who ask why there aren't any 'straight bars.'

12 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

So I asked why they don't cater for those who want to eat meat with a couple of options?

If you want meat, I suspect you would do well getting bull in a china shop.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

1) my first post was an example of being in a restaurant where I wanted to eat meat but being with vegetarians there was no option for me. If it was the other way round and I said go eat elsewhere then vegetarians would be in uproar. Since we now accommodate vegetarians, vegans, glutens, lactose, but allergies, it is now only vegetarian restaurants that won't accommodate non-vegetarians. This is pure intolerance. 

2) Middletons is a steak house in Norwich. They serve vegetarian options. It doesn't make them not a steak house. A vegetarian restaurant serving a meat option doesn't stop being a vegetarian restaurant

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

1) my first post was an example of being in a restaurant where I wanted to eat meat but being with vegetarians there was no option for me. If it was the other way round and I said go eat elsewhere then vegetarians would be in uproar. Since we now accommodate vegetarians, vegans, glutens, lactose, but allergies, it is now only vegetarian restaurants that won't accommodate non-vegetarians. This is pure intolerance. 

I don't know what kind of vegetarians you know (I'm leaning towards 'imaginary ones' at this point) but every time I've been out for dinner with a mixed group the vegetarians have never been in 'uproar' about going to a restaurant that serves meat as long as there are decent vegetarian options.

• Like 1

And Indian restauranys do serve non-Indian food

Chinese serve non-Chinese food

Japanese serve non-Japanes food

Thai restaurants serve non-Thai food

It's just the vegetarian restaurants that won't serve non-vegetarian food

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't know what kind of vegetarians you know (I'm leaning towards 'imaginary ones' at this point) but every time I've been out for dinner with a mixed group the vegetarians have never been in 'uproar' about going to a restaurant that serves meat as long as there are decent vegetarian options.

And what do they eat when there is no vegetarian option?