Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

Some interesting stats

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Good article. 

We are (or were last summer) much richer than I thought.

I think the position was roughly as expected, given that the board in effect had made the brave decision, despite having one more season of parachute payments, to start cutting back, particularly on wages. If that hadn't happened then the impending black hole might have been too big to be filled just by selling Maddison.

For example, we were 4th in terms of overall income that season and 3rd for non-TV (or parachute etc) income. But we were only ninth in terms of the average wage bill.

• Like 1

An interesting read. We obviously stand out for one particular stat (income from player sales). It is a huge credit to the management of the club that we were able to turn such a huge profit from selling our most valuable players but still make the massive improvements we did on the pitch. I would be interested to see the corresponding stats for this season. I suspect our wage bill will have been significantly lower.

Our Squad value v debt is very healthy right now, it's been a fantastic two years work by those in charge. We are  indeed sitting pretty, with a realistic plan(s) for the future. 

the 'elephant in the room' is that income from player sales was from players brought in/developed by previous managers.... not Farke/Webber

as is having Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and cantwell

where Webber/Farke have improved things is by identifying and signing low cost players that can be developed, and putting in place a coaching system that has done that

so it is not totally accurate to portray them as sort of rescuing a drowning man.... more a case of picking up the baton and getting us to the front of the pack

£20,000 per week average wage. Hangover from top flight wages or the norm? I wonder what the average was for last season and what the comparison will be for this. Plenty of new contracts signed and assumedly we're paying competitive wages. At a glance through those graphs, it looks like the club is being astutely run compared to our competitors. Bravo!