Sign in to follow this  
York Canary

New signing photo leaked

They’re not bothered over there, surprise a PL team has taken him on with his injury record, not surprised he’s with us and they realise he’s just cover for Aarons. 

Good to keep the Norwich Leeds relationship going though, been a bit quiet recently.

41 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Can’t imagine the club being happy about a leak.

At least this might prove to the whittlers that signings can come out of the blue and don’t have to be talked about in the media for days on end. 

Doubt that the club will care too much about a leak when the player has already signed. I suspect the announcement was always coming this morning.  

Good to another signing completed without any rumour beforehand. Just loving the way we do business nowadays. Welcome Sam. You've joined a proper football club.

Another smart signing I'd say, gives us backup at RB where the hope is that Max has another superb season, but we now have a quality player as cover.  A bit of a concern on his injury record but the club must be comfortable and in the end, that's what has made him affordable.

Just need a good DM in and I'll be very happy with the business done this window. Oh and Rhodes on a sensible dealt too would be nice...

Looks like a cheap punt on a player with a long injury record.

If he stays fit it might be ok.

Didnt turn out well with Jarvis.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Looks like a cheap punt on a player with a long injury record.

If he stays fit it might be ok.

Didnt turn out well with Jarvis.

Jarvis wasn't cheap though.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

£25K a week doesn’t feel cheap either! Those are the waters we’re swimming in I suppose.

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

Jarvis never had a long term injury until he joined us either. 

Regards Byram, I always liked him at Leeds and hoped we would sign him then. He played a few games at the end of last season and has had a full preseason so far so hopefully all good on the injury front. With the reported fee seems like a relatively small risk worth taking. Seems Webber and Farke like to look at calculated gambles of this nature. 

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

What does WACCOE have to say (would look but at work).

Byram to Norwich - what a f**king surprise - their obsession with our players, even ex players knows no limits

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Byram to Norwich - what a f**king surprise - their obsession with our players, even ex players knows no limits

🤣

Ah Norwich City. The final scrapheap for ex Leeds players. Becchio, Howson, Johnson, Newsome, Snodgrass, Byram.

🤣

Shrewd bit of business at face value - excellent cover for Aarons and enough quality to keep him on his toes.

But his injury record is a concern, going right back to his England U20 withdrawal in the under 23 world cup in 2013. Let's hope he's robust for us going forward. And has also played right mid, so perhaps the added bonus of versatility.

33 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

£25K a week doesn’t feel cheap either! Those are the waters we’re swimming in I suppose.

Not seen that figure- I'd assume it has a decent relegation drop in it so wouldn't be excessive in the Championship. Rumours with Jarvis were that he was on £30-40k even at Championship level.

34 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Jarvis never had a long term injury until he joined us either. 

Regards Byram, I always liked him at Leeds and hoped we would sign him then. He played a few games at the end of last season and has had a full preseason so far so hopefully all good on the injury front. With the reported fee seems like a relatively small risk worth taking. Seems Webber and Farke like to look at calculated gambles of this nature. 

Jarvis was also injured when we signed him permanently. 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not seen that figure- I'd assume it has a decent relegation drop in it so wouldn't be excessive in the Championship. Rumours with Jarvis were that he was on £30-40k even at Championship level.

Indeed.

As I recall he already had knee trouble when we signed him. We took a risk that didn't pay off.

At least it won't be much if a loss if the Byram deal doesn't work out.

Pretty happy with this. Nice and cheap from reports, good cover for Max. The injury history is a slight concern, but as some have pointed out, we hopefully won't be relying on him too much - In an ideal world.

If Max were to get injured, do we have cover for the cover? Is that a luxury we need to concern ourselves with right now? And besides, the last time we dipped into the U23's to get through some games it turned out pretty nicely - wouldn't be the end of the world.

At Leeds he aspired to be top class and the move suited him to West Ham. Unlucky for him and the injuries mounted.

Appeared to be quality as a youngster. So if the quality is still there and he keeps fit then we have a very good signing in an area where we had no real cover.

All the signings sound good so far. Very little money up front and wages have to be paid in the EPL no matter what club you are.

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes he had been injured for the previous 7/8 weeks but he then played from mid January for the rest of the season. His serious injury didn't happen until the end of that season. 

Where did you hear rumours of 30-40k as I have never seen that mentioned? I vaguley remember that as being what he earned at West Ham before we signed him. Only for Naismith did I ever hear we were paying that much in the championship. 

Edited by Grant Holts Moustache

22 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

If Max were to get injured, do we have cover for the cover? Is that a luxury we need to concern ourselves with right now? 

If we have cover for the cover, we’d need a squad of 33 players!

(I realise some players cover for more than one position, so effectively we already have that)

I imagine he has taken a moderate pay cut to come here.

He has signed a decent length deal which is a better investment for him than demanding a similar wage and ending up out of contract next year with an injury record.

Good signing for all parties. For 750k in the premier league - you really can't go wrong. Especially when we also have Aarons in that position.

Edited by HertsCanary93

If he gets over his injuries then its a very very good signing. If he doesn't then it kind of feels like the finances involved make him worth the punt. 

Worth noting comparisons to Jarvis are a bit premature, since

1) Jarvis was more expensive

2) Jarvis was injured when we signed him

3) Jarvis was 29, not 25 like Sam.

He'd only have to prove his fitness for a season at championship level in a couple years time and we'd easily be able to sell him on for a couple of mill (presuming we wanted to, of course)

3 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

3DFF8A35-DBAF-419C-9E7B-2511B06EAA00.thumb.png.a666fd990be06bb19c741311f8d6d815.png

Hahahaha! Ohhh Leeds, they'd be funny if they weren't so demented!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If he gets over his injuries then its a very very good signing. If he doesn't then it kind of feels like the finances involved make him worth the punt. 

Worth noting comparisons to Jarvis are a bit premature, since

1) Jarvis was more expensive

2) Jarvis was injured when we signed him

3) Jarvis was 29, not 25 like Sam.

He'd only have to prove his fitness for a season at championship level in a couple years time and we'd easily be able to sell him on for a couple of mill (presuming we wanted to, of course)

Agree.

Also worth noting he's begun to prove his fitness already by starting the final 5 games of Forest's season.

Not a bad backup signing. Still relatively young, plenty to prove but equally clearly has bags of potential. If the 750k is true, then it’s a great bit of business!

2 hours ago, lappinitup said:

Ah Norwich City. The final scrapheap for ex Leeds players. Becchio, Howson, Johnson, Newsome, Snodgrass, Byram.

🤣

All of whom they cried about like mad when they left (albeit Byram left for elsewhere initially)

Hey, it isn't our fault they're hopelessly sh!te

One positive if Sam's a bit of a sick-note......Colney is within limping distance from Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital A&E......

Well looks like a good player on paper- hope he remain fit enough to kick a ball while he is here, if not he can always paint the bench or the dressing room pink

5 hours ago, lappinitup said:

🤣

'Scrapheap'

Becchio aside, all those players advanced their careers joining us