Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Are we any stronger?

The policy is clearly to give this team a go and reward them with new contracts. Happy with that for the most part. 

But are we perhaps showing a little too much confidence in them? There is a step up involved...

my feeling just weeks away from first game: 

The GK has been upgraded. Good to go. 

defence identical to last season and we shipped quite a few then. Injuries to Zim and Godfrey highlight a problem. No RB cover and the thought of facing Liverpool with Hanley and not fully fit Tim doesn’t fill me with confidence. Needs attention.  

the midfield has one new winger but largely same. Almost happy with it but a CDM seems the glaring need to protect back four. 

the attack is upgraded slightly - though arguably Drmic is a risk given injury record. Last year we could rely on our backup option.

Thoughts ? 

In my opinion as I stated in a previous post we need to strengthen the defence if we have injuries we are lightweight in replacements .

Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis all have a full season of professional football under their belt so are likely to start the season better than they were.

The lack of RB cover is a concern and, as you say, a defence that had a few sketchy moments in the Championship last season are going to be up against far more potent attacks. But Farke and Webber have done enough for us to trust that they know what they're doing.

I also think that Leitner and Klose will be regular starters this season and will almost be like two new signings. McLean did a great job at the tail end of last season but I don't think he is anywhere near the footballer Leitner is. Likewise Zimmermann and Godfrey, certainly did enough not to be dropped but I couldn't help thinking that if one of them got a suspension or injured last season and Klose had to step up, our lineup would have actually improved.

Edited by canarydan23

7 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Why is Timm not fully fit?

I believe he is still working on the injury from last season. don't quote me but I think he is light training at the moment, however not quite match fit for friendlies.

Defensive availability in general looks a worry currently.

9 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis all have a full season of professional football under their belt so are likely to start the season better than they were.

The lack of RB cover is a concern and, as you say, a defence that had a few sketchy moments in the Championship last season are going to be up against far more potent attacks. But Farke and Webber have done enough for us to trust that they know what they're doing.

I also think that Leitner and Klose will be regular starters this season and will almost be like two new signings. McLean did a great job at the tail end of last season but I don't think he is anywhere near the footballer Leitner is. Likewise Zimmermann and Godfrey, certainly did enough not to be dropped but I couldn't help thinking that if one of them got a suspension or injured last season and Klose had to step up, our lineup would have actually improved.

Agree with all of this, but it looks like Godfrey is likely to start the season on the treatment table. This would leave us with only five fully fit defenders in the squad: Aarons, Hanley, Klose (who's still on the comeback trail), Heise and Lewis. I would imagine another defender will be a necessity before the window closes. Certainly no danger of Hanley going on loan now...

Didn’t Timm have surgery towards the end of last season?

45 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

I believe he is still working on the injury from last season. don't quote me but I think he is light training at the moment, however not quite match fit for friendlies.

Didn’t Timm have surgery towards the end of last season?

I still think we might see another CB in, but perhaps not till January. In terms of strength, we've added serious competition to the Goal keeping position, whilst adding options up front as well as Roberts adding a rival to Hernandez. 

For me its competition for that DCM role, we have Tetty only on a year left and not likely to feature much as back up, there surely is a plan for someone to come in to push Trybull to start and be a back up. 

So far we've brought in two players with Champions League experience, and an international striker. So yes we're stronger, and the window doesn't close for another 24 days.

• Like 1

Interesting revelation from Chris Goreham this morning....head to head records will take precedent over goal difference for clubs level on points next season. So from a defensive point of view shipping lots goals 'may' not be quite so damaging

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Interesting revelation from Chris Goreham this morning....head to head records will take precedent over goal difference for clubs level on points next season. So from a defensive point of view shipping lots goals 'may' not be quite so damaging

Head to head only comes into use if goal difference and goals scored are equal. So basically it will never be used. 

• Like 1

Klose is near recovery from last year's knee problem. Schalke will be too soon for him but he could play against Brentford, according to DF.

I think we are stronger with the three new players, but we need another RB, preferably one who could also play at CB and/or DM. If not that we need two more defenders. By my reckoning, we still have about £10m left in the budget.

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Agreed with all of this. I think if we kept last seasons team and added a quality defensive midfielder, our defensive situation would improve no end and this has to be a priority over all else.

I'd be happy with a defence of Aarons (A N Other), Klose, Godfrey (Hanley, Zimmerman), Lewis (Heisse) - assuming Zimmerman and Godfrey aren't out for extended periods and they are there or thereabouts at the start of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Thanks, I just read the match report on the main site which said a "knee issue". ☹️

I agree doe the most part with OP , there are some glaring holes to be filled...CDM most urgently

Why do people think we have a weak defence? Taking injuries out of the equation (we're not going to make a big money signing just to cover the loss of a player to injury for a couple of months), we've got Klose who has some proven ability at Prem level, Godfrey who's just had a full season in the Championship who will be far better placed, Zimmerman who has improved on pretty much a month-by-month basis since arriving at the club and Hanley, who only 12 months ago had his own song for how difficult it was to get anything past him.

The weakness in defence is more of a tactical decision to play with attacking full-backs and attacking intent. You'd imagine we would limit that a bit more this upcoming season.

• Like 4

As others have said, the glaring weakness for me is CDM. Slightly concerned that we aren't even really being vaguely linked with players in that position, but guess you can't read too much into that. 

• Like 1

What is a CDM is it a Central Defensive Mid fielder?  Ive yet to see a Defensive Midfielder who has operated other than centrally not covering Full Backs.  Perhaps you have however not seen in PL to date..

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Godfrey and Zimmerman injured, that makes us weak in defence especially if any more of our defenders get injured !

Having two first choice centre backs injured would make any team weaker. 

Can’t see Norwich wanting to spend a chunk of money on bringing in a 5th centreback to cover the first month of the season. Give Rocky a chance, what’s the point of signing young players if they aren’t given that shot. 

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Having two first choice centre backs injured would make any team weaker. 

Can’t see Norwich wanting to spend a chunk of money on bringing in a 5th centreback to cover the first month of the season. Give Rocky a chance, what’s the point of signing young players if they aren’t given that shot. 

Yep, we must follow the Ajax model and not the' Man u under mourinho' model. Spending millions for a stop gap player would be crazy for us.