Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Are we any stronger?

What is stronger ?

Many may remember the howls of anguish when we went up in 2011. Then the bleat was that we needed "Premier League experienced/quality players". As it turned out we didn't.

So far we have not lost any of those who as a team and squad played superbly last season. It will be that motivation and determination that will be the deciding factor(s) not the signing of a few 'better' players.

If Farke and the coaches can get the same out of the squad this season we will give a good account of ourselves. It is about having a great team rather than 11 great players.

44 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I would be staggered if Hanley is still with us by the end of the window.

we will sign another CB 

I'd be staggered if he wasn't. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

I'd be staggered if he wasn't. 

I wouldn't be surprised either way before the injuries but agree it would be a shocker now that we have injuries to Godfrey and Zimmerman. If they were fit however, it's another matter. I consider Hanley our 4th choice central defender and rightly so, the others are better, in my opinion.

Edited by All the Germans

Starting next season with a defense weaker than the one we fnished with in the Championship is asking for disaster. I am happy with the model we have adopted and buy in to what we are trying to achieve, but it would be plain daft not to strengthen at CH, particarly if the injury to Ben is serious.

6 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I wouldn't be surprised either way before the injuries but agree it would be a shocker now that we have injuries to Godfrey and Zimmerman. If they were fit however, it's another matter. I consider Hanley our 4th choice central defender and rightly so, the others are better, in my opinion.

As Norwich could loan him out right up to the end of August, there is a scenario where Norwich bring in another defender to help cover injuries in the early part of the season.

Then when they return to fitness by the end of August Hanley is loaned out, and Norwich maintain 4 centrebacks. 

It is a pretty unlikely scenario but he one to consider. 

Seems Hanley is generally held in relatively low esteem here.  

I think he's still got it.   If injuries dictate he is one of our starting centre backs this season, I've got faith that he'll retain his place for a fair while.

• Like 1

Hanley is a solid champ defender but I shudder thinking about him going up against many of the strikers at Prem level. So I for one would back the idea, given current injuries, of splashing out on another CB and moving him on. 

OP yes of course we’re stronger, we have extended contracts with quality young players who have a years experience, confidence and understanding of the clubs expectations on the pitch.

We’ve released those players who contributed very little to our club and we have added quality in our youth ranks.

As for the negatively regarding Hanley well let’s be honest he was found to be a little bit short in quality last year and that’s not going to improve this year against far better teams, we really needed a good summer warm up for both Zimmermann & Godfrey and both injured. Now we are looking at Hanley & Klose starting against Liverpool and that’s a scary thought! I hope we either loan or sign another CB with quality if Godfrey is injured for more than a month.

Hanley is probably the best defender in the squad at some things. I’d say he’s the best in the air and probably the strongest. 

Unfortunately, he has significant weaknesses when it comes to pace and most importantly, being able to play out from the back, a key aspect of Norwich’s game. 

As a 4th choice centreback he is more than adequate. It is just unfortunate that two players in the same position have got injured. 

• Like 3

I'm totally trustworthy of the regime to bolster us should they feel the need to, before the start of the season. It's possibly right to suggest we aren't much "improved" from last season yet, but who knows how our younger players have and will advance in ability this coming season, so much so that we aren't as unimproved as some may think. 

1 minute ago, JB said:

I'm totally trustworthy of the regime to bolster us should they feel the need to, before the start of the season. It's possibly right to suggest we aren't much "improved" from last season yet, but who knows how our younger players have and will advance in ability this coming season, so much so that we aren't as unimproved as some may think. 

I look at our players and judge by the equivalent we could buy for our own player, for example Pukki to buy him this year you’d be looking to spend 15 million, So from last year he’s definitely improved. That’s if we’re judging summer to summer! All our players have made huge steps in quality, so yes our squad has indeed improved. The improvement is that we haven’t sold any of our key players but tied them to new contracts. Can you imagine what we’d have to spend to get that starting 11.......which includes Beundia, Pukki, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey.....

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Hanley is probably the best defender in the squad at some things. I’d say he’s the best in the air and probably the strongest. 

Unfortunately, he has significant weaknesses when it comes to pace and most importantly, being able to play out from the back, a key aspect of Norwich’s game. 

As a 4th choice centreback he is more than adequate. It is just unfortunate that two players in the same position have got injured. 

He seems from those brief highlights to have lost some weight, and I am not sure he was that slow to start with. Some players just look as if they should be slow.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

I look at our players and judge by the equivalent we could buy for our own player, for example Pukki to buy him this year you’d be looking to spend 15 million, So from last year he’s definitely improved. That’s if we’re judging summer to summer! All our players have made huge steps in quality, so yes our squad has indeed improved. The improvement is that we haven’t sold any of our key players but tied them to new contracts. Can you imagine what we’d have to spend to get that starting 11.......which includes Beundia, Pukki, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey.....

Yep, good way of looking at things 

Keep calm everyone, Godfrey pictured walking freely without crutches and protective boot.  Zimbo is in light training too.  Still 3 and a half weeks to lift off, a lot can happen.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Keep calm everyone, Godfrey pictured walking freely without crutches and protective boot.  Zimbo is in light training too.  Still 3 and a half weeks to lift off, a lot can happen.  

Where’d you see the pic of Godfrey walking unaided, Shef? Promising news if so!

Edited by Alex Moss

23 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Where’d you see the pic of Godfrey walking unaided, Shef? Promising news if so!

Apologies Alex been working but the news is now confirmed anyway.  Instagram is a useful thing.

• Like 1

I believe our 4 signings make us stronger overall than last seasons squad

Farhmann > McGovern

Byram > Passlack

Roberts > Cantwell

Drmic > Rhodes

How many of those improve the first XI is debatable, but I'm not sure how many players we could sign that would walk into the first team with the budget we're reported to have?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Farhmann > McGovern

Byram > Passlack

Roberts > Cantwell

Drmic > Rhodes

How many of those improve the first XI is debatable, but I'm not sure how many players we could sign that would walk into the first team with the budget we're reported to have?

I guess the point you're making is that it's all about depth. Farhmann is better, Byram, difficult to measure as he's only just arrived and Passlack didn't get a chance. Webber is excited about Roberts but as a loan we need to get Todd gametime and Drmic has to get past Pukki to prove that he's a step up from Rhodes. There are a lot of 'wait and see's' in there.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Farhmann > McGovern

Byram > Passlack

Roberts > Cantwell

Drmic > Rhodes

If you consider that the backup players are better than last season you may have a point. But improving the team/squad for the prem means acquiring players that are better than those from the starting eleven. We have not improved on those.

We paid £750,000 for Byram because that's all he's worth we didn't get him cheap at all. Yes injuries did contribute to the number of appearances he made at Westham. But he was overlooked by the coaching staff when available. Not beating up on our players but you have to be realistic. Anyone under £5million for the prem is not going to be any good.

Is Roberts an improvement on Cantwell ? We will have to wait and see. Hope the 2 friendlies are not anything to go by. We need him testing the keeper, not putting it over the bar. After last season we are spoiled for quality, our players hardly ever put in over.  

Not sure how much of the £20 million we have left but I would spend half on a decent central defender and half on a decent striker. Both with the ability to walk into the starting lineup. Of course we have Pukki - but one bad tackle and we won't have him. We do have Drmic also but we need several - striker is a key position,  a position which is most susceptible to injury.

Essentially this window has been about securing what we have and slightly improving the depth of the squad. We have not yet, GK aside, improved the starting XI much at all.

Was last years team good enough to survive becomes the question. 

Another question to ask is how many of our players would get into, say, Palace or West Ham starting XI? 

4 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Anyone under £5million for the prem is not going to be any good.

Then we're screwed, apart from Klose and Hanley, we paid less than 5 million for all the others. 

5 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Not sure how much of the £20 million we have left but I would spend half on a decent central defender and half on a decent striker. Both with the ability to walk into the starting lineup. Of course we have Pukki - but one bad tackle and we won't have him. We do have Drmic also but we need several - striker is a key position,  a position which is most susceptible to injury.

Not sure where you think we can buy a better striker than Pukki for £10m? Unless you're suggesting we change our style completely and play two up front.

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

Then we're screwed, apart from Klose and Hanley, we paid less than 5 million for all the others. 

It was possibly one of the more stupid comments i've seen on this forum, a sweeping generalisation that has been proven wrong across a multitude of clubs over a number of years..

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Six Pack said:

If you consider that the backup players are better than last season you may have a point. But improving the team/squad for the prem means acquiring players that are better than those from the starting eleven. We have not improved on those.

It then depends whether you think last season's squad could have survived in the PL. I think they could.

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

The minute I hit the send button I thought oh no!  I haven't explained myself clearly - the guys will misinterpret my meaning!

With the "under £5million for a prem player is not being any good" I meant buying in the English league only, specifically from other premiership clubs. Of course our entire team last year were cost effectively acquired from other foreign leagues and the decent British players we developed ourselves. I don't mean this group and thought everyone would realize this.

Two players (defender & striker) we had a chance of getting were Dawson and Rodriquez from WBA. They were in our budget and we had a chance of getting them but doubt they would have bought into our salary structure.

I for one am glad we haven't gone all out for that ' premier League quality striker' ....that smacks too much off putting all our eggs in one basket, suppose we'd broke the bank to sign Sturridge,Rondon or somesuch big(ish) player.....and they either misfired or got a long term injury. We'd be screwed. We are building a squad with evenly spread quality, so max gets injured( if in fact he is in front of Byram when the season starts) then we have a replacement that is capable, ditto Pukki,Krul etc.etc.

Have you not realised yet Splendido what the plan is?  There is little difference in quality between a well scouted and researched ' affordable' player and the latest ' must have hotshot'....who may not turn out to be that great. We cannot afford a ' proven top premier League player'. We can afford  to put together a cohesive squad that will work for each other.

For confirmation of this, read/ listen to any interview with SW. If you still don't get it, then i am really at a loss to help any further.

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I for one am glad we haven't gone all out for that ' premier League quality striker' ....that smacks too much off putting all our eggs in one basket, suppose we'd broke the bank to sign Sturridge,Rondon or somesuch big(ish) player.....and they either misfired or got a long term injury. We'd be screwed. We are building a squad with evenly spread quality, so max gets injured( if in fact he is in front of Byram when the season starts) then we have a replacement that is capable, ditto Pukki,Krul etc.etc.

Have you not realised yet Splendido what the plan is?  There is little difference in quality between a well scouted and researched ' affordable' player and the latest ' must have hotshot'....who may not turn out to be that great. We cannot afford a ' proven top premier League player'. We can afford  to put together a cohesive squad that will work for each other.

For confirmation of this, read/ listen to any interview with SW. If you still don't get it, then i am really at a loss to help any further.

Yes read above WCork - I meat someone like Rodriquez rather than Rondon. But I do agree