Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Wimbledon prize money

33 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

However you look at it men deserve more. Men’s final equates to another classic and the women’s final is over in a blink. 

Controversial......

8 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Controversial......

or some saddo looking for a 'bite'

I don't think it's too Controversial,  Billy Jean King pushed for equal pay to the men, and got it.  I've never thought it right, as the woman only play the best of 3 sets and the men play the best of 5 !

I'm not sure it's controversial, equal pay should mean equal work. The men have to play a 5 set game, the women only have to play a 3 set game. 

It's not just the 3 vs 5 sets. I go to Wimbledon a couple of times every year and generally the men have tough matches from the getco. Lots of 7-6 sets and mostly 4 or 5 setters. Wheras the top women often breeze through their matches right up to the semis. It's money for old rope for them.

4 hours ago, Mind the gap said:

It's not just the 3 vs 5 sets. I go to Wimbledon a couple of times every year and generally the men have tough matches from the getco. Lots of 7-6 sets and mostly 4 or 5 setters. Wheras the top women often breeze through their matches right up to the semis. It's money for old rope for them.

It's not just the number of sets. Womens tennis doesn't bring in anywhere near the same amount of sponsorship money as the mens game. 

Martina Navratilova has proposed that the ladies and men should each play best of three sets matches to the quarters and then each play best of five sets matches for the quarters, semis and the final I.e. Equal work for equal pay. That sounds like an excellent proposal to me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Martina Navratilova has proposed that the ladies and men should each play best of three sets matches to the quarters and then each play best of five sets matches for the quarters, semis and the final I.e. Equal work for equal pay. That sounds like an excellent proposal to me. 

On that basis they have a fair argument. 

That's the first time I think I've heard any female actually come up with a solution rather than just playing the sexism card. 

I have been to a few ATP tour events in France and the US and all games were 3 sets, but the majors have the men's game at 5 sets. Personally I think the men's game is absolutely superb, 5 sets has given us so much entertainment and tension. Ivanisevic Vs rafter is still one of the best Wimbledon finals, there have been so many great finals and round games. It is the mental ebs and flows that also keep you glued to the game.

I think Martina's idea will take away so much of the mental part of a 5 set game. The ATP tour 3 setters may have a few more upsets, but not always, if top players are cold but surprises do happen in 5.

I think the men's format is perfect and I would not want it changed. The women's game could go to 5 sets for the majors but if not then not too worried, I prefer to watch men's tennis so go to those events or watch those on the TV.

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I think it's time we all got woke & did away with this awful **** discrimination   :classic_rolleyes:

Absolutely 

33C31D27-958F-4406-944E-83E2CF7EED17.jpeg

Gender still allowed. Hoorah! Let's try sexual. 

If that gets through then I can say my original word was missing the ual ending.

Or how about s e x? This auto-sweary filter thing is fascinating.

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Absolutely 

33C31D27-958F-4406-944E-83E2CF7EED17.jpeg

She'd win every match against men. Imagine trying to concentrate on your stroke. You'd probably have one.

• Haha 1

The Ladies final was a brilliant exhibition of tennis from Halep, she played great and it was a privilege to see it....

However, it was over in less than an hour......women could go five sets no problem - is there any other sport in the world where women play less time than the men?  A 1500 mtr race is 1500 for both s-exes, a golf round is still 18 holes for both, a football game is still 90 minutes for both. 

I am sure that someone will condemn me but while agreeing that the tennis is ok I find everything else about Wimbledon absolutely awful.

The pompous and arrogant attitude of those that run it,the freebies that the likes of Beckham et al get while others have to queue for days in a tent just to hope to get a ticket,the whole bloody awful Royal box rubbish and the way those young ball boys/girls are expected to perform.Holding an umbrella so the players don't get too much sun or having too offer a towel so they can wipe their brow and then stand to attention during a rally.

As for the prize money that is astonishingly obscene.

The winner of the Tour de France gets 500,000;no doubt shared between the team;after riding for god knows how many days in all weathers for 100s of kilometres.

But to be fair I would say that money in sport in general is unfair and obscene

Do you know why most of the staff at the Equalities Commission are Women?

They are cheaper.

Seriously, I agree about the amount of sets equalling the amount of money. But I also think that when so much of the prize money was equalled, the women's game was more popular than the men's. And I think it still is today, so as long as the men are happy with what they are getting, then it doesn't matter if the women get the same.

Shouldn’t be anything to do with the number of sets imo.

The main argument that gets used in football to support the reason men get paid significantly more is that men’s football generates more money. The same should be said for tennis. I have absolutely no idea how much men’s tennis generates vs women’s tennis, but I’d imagine the gap between the two in tennis is a lot smaller than it is in football.

It can’t be both ways. You can’t say women don’t deserve the same prize money in tennis because they only play 3 sets, but then use some different argument in football where everyone plays 90 minutes.