Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Andy Hughes

Would he be classed as a scapegoat. He was rubbish, but in a team filled with rubbish he got the most grief. 

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

A reminder that there are bad times to go with the good. Let's be honest it was a rubbish time to be  NCFC fan.

That reading home game was one of the worst for me, I shouted and swore for the first ten minutes then sank into apathy and despair!

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Etuhu frustrated me as he was a menace when he'd make late runs into the box but half the time he looked like he couldn't be bothered. Carved out a solid career for himself though.

Preston fans described him as "a tower of apathy"

• Haha 1

2006-2008 are really the only blank spots in my memory of following the club since 2001. It wasn't that i wasn't going, I had a season ticket for 07/08 and otherwise always go to a at least a handful of games every season but I remember pretty much nothing about that era. Most players names ive forgotten, can't recall from memory one goal or pattern of play, it's like my brain has just deleted that era from memory. It's probably done me a favour. Until I saw this thread I'd honestly forgotten Andy Hughes even played for us. 

Good interview though. Also serves as a great reminder of how mostly amazing the last decade has been. For a club our size which is self funded we've been spoilt really and last seasons heroics have ensured at the very least a few more years of -compared to the Andy Hughes era- excitement and success. 

The realisation on how bad we had become came when around that time Jason Jarrett played in a match which 15 year old me played in, in Fakenham. Let's just say, he didnt stand out.

Andy Hughes was an extremely limited footballer at 2nd Division level but you could never fault his athleticism, desire and willingness to contribute 100% to the cause!

Etuhu only turned up for big games where he felt he may get noticed. I remember an FA cup game away at Chelsea where he was outstanding but in the League games around the same time he looked disinterested.

Hughes is a perfect example of where sheer bloody mindedness will more often than not win over ability with a lack of desire similar to Etuhu!

15 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

2006-2008 are really the only blank spots in my memory of following the club since 2001. It wasn't that i wasn't going, I had a season ticket for 07/08 and otherwise always go to a at least a handful of games every season but I remember pretty much nothing about that era. Most players names ive forgotten, can't recall from memory one goal or pattern of play, it's like my brain has just deleted that era from memory. It's probably done me a favour. Until I saw this thread I'd honestly forgotten Andy Hughes even played for us. 

Good interview though. Also serves as a great reminder of how mostly amazing the last decade has been. For a club our size which is self funded we've been spoilt really and last seasons heroics have ensured at the very least a few more years of -compared to the Andy Hughes era- excitement and success. 

I always go on about the 1996-98 spell as very dire but this spell you mention was probably worse though like you and many others my mind has erased this spell! Amazingly our crowds in this fallow period were always 24,000+, another indication of our large wonderful support!

Many younger fans who weren't about in this spell who get over critical at times need to realise that our track record since the League 1 season in 09/10 has been very impressive for a club of our size and won't always be like this. You've only got to look down the A140 to see what can happen to a similar sized club not run very well!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kingsway said:

Hughes is a perfect example of where sheer bloody mindedness will more often than not win over ability with a lack of desire similar to Etuhu!

Is he? Hughes spent his career muddling around the lower leagues while Etuhu played over 100 premier league games, played in a European final and got 33 international caps.

Seems like Etuhu 'won' that particular contest.

Edited by king canary
Typo

49 minutes ago, king canary said:

Is he? Hughes spent his career muddling around the lower leagues while Etuhu played over 100 premier league games, played in a European final and got 33 England caps.

33 England caps? Are you sure?

40 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

33 England caps? Are you sure?

Meant to say international caps. Will correct. 

I think the Andy Hughes one has been the best so far, enjoyed that! The clown incident was great haha. The Robert Green interview on the other hand, however, I came away feeling that his heart was never remotely here whatsoever. Kind of got the impression he looked down his nose at the club and the city, but maybe my interpretation was off. Shame, used to like him.

19 hours ago, king canary said:

Is he? Hughes spent his career muddling around the lower leagues while Etuhu played over 100 premier league games, played in a European final and got 33 international caps.

In terms of what they done at Norwich, give me Hughes lack of ability but 110% commitment over Etuhu's can't be bothered unless its a big game attitude anyday! 

Ended up being a great utility player when we needed him, but a fair assessment to say he thinks dropping to league one was better for him. Another player who people turned on too easy, was never going to be a world beater but always tried his best

6 hours ago, AJ said:

Ended up being a great utility player when we needed him, but a fair assessment to say he thinks dropping to league one was better for him. Another player who people turned on too easy, was never going to be a world beater but always tried his best

We're setting a very low bar if Hughes can be considered great in any way.

He was a bit less **** as utility player.